PDA

View Full Version : Two quick questions.

cyrus102
12-31-2014, 11:51 PM
Would I need warranty for a repasting because I get pretty high CPU temps when I run heavy duty games like 90C-95C (not F) and if not how much would that cost?

Second question. What is the best CPU OC / UC tool we can use?

Dr. Zchivago
01-01-2015, 12:04 AM
It's not a good idea to overclock a laptop's CPU, because of the severe cooling limitations; ESPECIALLY, if you're already experiencing problems dissipating heat.

Z

cyrus102
01-01-2015, 12:28 AM
Could my temperatures be a little higher since I am running dual monitors? And how much would it be for me to get it repasted or is that covered for a few years?

Darnassus
01-01-2015, 03:48 AM
You overclock and underVOLT the CPU with Intel Extreme Utility

cyrus102
01-01-2015, 04:52 AM
You overclock and underVOLT the CPU with Intel Extreme Utility

Thanks for the response! Do you have a picture of your settings in the Intel Extreme Ultility?

Darnassus
01-03-2015, 08:49 PM
.. Eeeh.. late reply, forgive me.

If you want to do your CPU. Download 'Intel Extreme Tuning Utility'

Install it as admin

Run it as admin

Here is a picture for the settings I used

The ORANGE highlighted is what I have changed. You can see the original settings on the right pane in the left column, vs MY settings on the right. I got a 200mHz+ speed increase but ALSO my CPU runs cooler, thanks for running it on a lower voltage.

Remember, make your Voltage on your Dynamic CPU and Processor Cache NEGATIVE VALUES. Positive Values will make it blow up. -- NOTICE IN MY SCREENSHOT.

Try the setting I am using. If your computer spontaneously turns off, shutting down immediately without an error then your voltage offset is too low, thus you need to bring it closer towards 0 (giving it a little more energy). If it never shuts off then you can try going for -70mV towards -75mV and keep going until you reach instability.. and if you do, go back to the last good config. (You must edit BOTH slider values and they should be equal.)

Make sure Intel WatchDog Timer is installed, you'll see it in installed programs. (it should install when you install Extreme Tuning Utilities) this will make sure your CPU reverts back to it's good settings, or stock settings, (thus so you can restart and apply a slightly lower overclock value on the voltage.)

Again, you will never hurt your CPU from doing this, as long as your voltage offsets are NEGATIVE values. Positive will burn it out.

Some little side notes about this overclock setting:

- It will process things on single cores slightly faster
- The CPU will use less watts, thus saving power ( of course not much but every dollar counts)
- The CPU will run cooler, thus longer life span
- It's rather neat to know you've overclocked your machine
- Bragging rights
- Introduces you into the overclocking community.
- Overall performance increase roughly 7-8%

----- Last thing to know is overclock settings are not the same for CPU's, even if the CPU's are the same model.. every CPU TECHNICALLY is unique and may perform better than others. Again, if you crash, slightly go back up a few mV's on the voltage.

cyrus102
01-04-2015, 01:12 AM
.. Eeeh.. late reply, forgive me.

If you want to do your CPU. Download 'Intel Extreme Tuning Utility'

Install it as admin

Run it as admin

Here is a picture for the settings I used

The ORANGE highlighted is what I have changed. You can see the original settings on the right pane in the left column, vs MY settings on the right. I got a 200mHz+ speed increase but ALSO my CPU runs cooler, thanks for running it on a lower voltage.

Remember, make your Voltage on your Dynamic CPU and Processor Cache NEGATIVE VALUES. Positive Values will make it blow up. -- NOTICE IN MY SCREENSHOT.

Try the setting I am using. If your computer spontaneously turns off, shutting down immediately without an error then your voltage offset is too low, thus you need to bring it closer towards 0 (giving it a little more energy). If it never shuts off then you can try going for -70mV towards -75mV and keep going until you reach instability.. and if you do, go back to the last good config. (You must edit BOTH slider values and they should be equal.)

Make sure Intel WatchDog Timer is installed, you'll see it in installed programs. (it should install when you install Extreme Tuning Utilities) this will make sure your CPU reverts back to it's good settings, or stock settings, (thus so you can restart and apply a slightly lower overclock value on the voltage.)

Again, you will never hurt your CPU from doing this, as long as your voltage offsets are NEGATIVE values. Positive will burn it out.

Some little side notes about this overclock setting:

- It will process things on single cores slightly faster
- The CPU will use less watts, thus saving power ( of course not much but every dollar counts)
- The CPU will run cooler, thus longer life span
- It's rather neat to know you've overclocked your machine
- Bragging rights
- Introduces you into the overclocking community.
- Overall performance increase roughly 7-8%

----- Last thing to know is overclock settings are not the same for CPU's, even if the CPU's are the same model.. every CPU TECHNICALLY is unique and may perform better than others. Again, if you crash, slightly go back up a few mV's on the voltage.

Thanks for the response. What setting would I turn up or down if I wanted my cpu to run even cooler?

cyrus102
01-05-2015, 11:24 PM
Hey Darnassus. I would rather my Cpu run a lot cooler than overclock it. is there a way I can just leave it at the same speed but make it run a lot cooler?

cyrus102
01-06-2015, 04:48 AM
Also after doing it my computer has blue screened a few times with your settings and I looked up a few post said it was due to undervolting. I was wondering should I be raising the -69 voltage to somewhere like -45 or so to fix this error?

Darnassus
01-08-2015, 04:20 AM
You can undervolt it and not increase the multipliers if you want I guess. There's also a way to permanently throttle it (of course by permanently, I mean, you can undo the setting when desired at a later time)

Simply create a profile in your battery icon something like 'power saver' and have the CPU utilisation capped at 99%

Here's a pictor I made for you. Just turn 100% to 99%45249

Cyrus don't undervolt too far or you'll crash without error, do the settings I've done (though gradually go back towards 0 if you crash without an error)

You could reduce your multipliers more, and see the result of how much GHz you'll have left, reducing it to halfway, around 23x will shave off a whole 1GHz cutting you down to a 2.4 GHz, but I am unaware of what may result in this procedure. it's best to try what I've said in the picture, but be warned, your power will reduce.

Try what I've suggested, however this is a gaming laptop after-all and the CPU can handle over 100*C. The highest in time-average hardcore gaming sessions, the CPU doesn't normally go past 80. Highest normal is around 83. Though I usually sit under 75.

I can assure you, the CPU is most likely the least possible component to die on you compared to all else.

TLDR: To reduce heat, you must reduce performance.. thus, defeating the purpose of having the G750. Remember, the CPU and GPU can handle to 100*C. 75*C is fine. 80*C is okay. Just let your computer have breaks at times.