PDA

View Full Version : G74SX-BBK7 SPEAKER PROBLEM! HELPPP

G74SX.BBK7
11-04-2011, 04:18 PM
hey guys,
my g74 is making this buzzing noise on the right speaker and it gets louder if I increase the volume of the speaker. could it be a broken speaker or is it something else? I have only got this laptop for less than one week.... and just got it back from RMA as well.. this is really making me :mad:
any help is much appreciated thx in advance!

dstrakele
11-04-2011, 05:13 PM
It could be the speaker vibrating against the housing of your laptop. You'd have to open her up to confirm this. Do you hear the buzzing in headphones? I believe the fact it occurs in only one speaker relegates your issue to a hardware problem, such as I've described.

kovacs
11-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Same speaker rattle issue on my G53, as far as I can tell its just the frequency of the speaker resonating with the plastic mainly where the keyboard meets the case at the top. I diagnosed it by finding some sound on youtube (vocal frequencies are the main trigger for me) then pressing down with my fingers at specific points to see if it stopped the nasty rattling sound. I found that if i held the top of the keyboard down (by the tabs you use to remove it) the noise went away.

I did 2 things to reduce it.

1. Put a few small bits of blu-tac in the positions highlighted on the pic below. (Im going to find a better solution tho, I worry about blu tac becoming dislodged)
2. Adjusted the equalizer by right-clicking realtek audio manager>Audio Devices>Speaker Properties>Enhancements>Equalizer. (Settings in pic - 500 and 1k had the most effect).

I'd say it's now reduced by about 95%, it was happening about 60% of the time during vocal sounds, really irritating. Strange that you should post as I only fixed it a few hours ago, had my laptop about a week also.

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/5166/buzzzo.jpg

JRd1st
11-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Try thin pieces of sheet silicon rubber held on with carpet tape. That stuff is really hard to pull off when it's properly applied!

G74SX.BBK7
11-05-2011, 03:09 AM
thanks guys! as i dont have the skills to dismantle my laptop, im just gonna have to send it to RMA again.....

JRd1st
11-05-2011, 03:18 AM
You sound happy? Is the RMA service down-under that good?

kiba
11-05-2011, 04:24 AM
I have the same laptop - g74sx-bbk8 and the exact same rattle or vibration coming from the right speaker, its driving me crazy. Looks to be because of bad speaker placement on the right side http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/616055-how-disassemble-g74sx-reduce-speaker-vibrations-photos.html im not sure if an rma will solve my problem after looking at those pics, i have the full asus warrenty and advanced best buy warrenty which covers everything from spills to accidental dmg to wear and tear so i'd rather not void that by taking it apart, any advice?

JRd1st
11-05-2011, 04:32 AM
You wouldn't void it unless you take a sticker off the CPU heatsink, and you wouldn't have to do that. But if you don't feel confident to dismantle the notebook so you can fix that speaker, that's an equally valid choice.

Good luck with whatever you do

BrodyBoy
11-05-2011, 04:46 AM
I have the same laptop - g74sx-bbk8 and the exact same rattle or vibration coming from the right speaker, its driving me crazy. Looks to be because of bad speaker placement on the right side http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/616055-how-disassemble-g74sx-reduce-speaker-vibrations-photos.html im not sure if an rma will solve my problem after looking at those pics, i have the full asus warrenty and advanced best buy warrenty which covers everything from spills to accidental dmg to wear and tear so i'd rather not void that by taking it apart, any advice?
It's up to you, of course, and you should do whatever you're comfortable with. But disassembling just to the point of accessing that speaker is really not too difficult. I'd be happy to provide a little guidance if you decide to tackle it yourself. (The online disassembly guides I've seen assume that you're disassembling all the way to motherboard removal, so they include several steps you don't need for the speaker repair. )

G74SX.BBK7
11-05-2011, 05:59 AM
well, im not so happy about the build quality of this laptop touchpad lock thing is not working as well (fn+ F9)... but yea i told the guy that he mustve did something accidently to the speakers when they were fixing my laptop and he said its fine send it back and we'll fix it for you and I continued talking about how unhappy I was and I said if anything is going wrong with this laptop again I am going to send it back expecting a full refund. So might do a refund somewhere in 6 months.

BrodyBoy
11-05-2011, 06:08 AM
I can't disagree. At the very least, the quality control at assembly is very poor. I've had three different G74s apart, and in all of them, I've found loose screws and sloppy assembly. It's really a shame, because I think the design is quite nice.

So you guys get six months to return? That's pretty good!

kiba
11-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Well, i will give them a chance to fix it before i take it apart.

For the returns, best buy will only do a refund on computers and laptops within 14 days, if youve had it longer than that and have an issue you have to have the good warrenty, and then bring it in for the same problem FOUR TIMES then its declared a lemon and they will replace it or give you another laptop of "comparable value" but they will not refund it and if you dont have the best warrenty or none at all, youre basically stuck with it, asus will just revert you back to best buy for a refund or replacement if thats where you got it

Anyways, im going to try an rma if it comes back the same i will open it up
If anyone needs it, This thread looks pretty helpful in fixing the issue, which I will be doing if RMA fails.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/616055-how-disassemble-g74sx-reduce-speaker-vibrations-photos.html

JRd1st
11-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Good luck, man!

It might be a good idea to select a track where they will be sure to hear this, and stick a post-it on the case telling them which to listen to.

kiba
11-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Good luck, man!

It might be a good idea to select a track where they will be sure to hear this, and stick a post-it on the case telling them which to listen to.

by any chance does the op have a track I could use?

I have a hard time beleiving that nobody else has experienced this problem, I upgraded from a g73jh and had the low audio issue, then read chastity's thread on the low audio fix for the g74, thats when i noticed it, athough it will vibrate/buzz on low audio, its just not as noticeable, I looked at my freinds g73jh-a1(not the best buy model) , who reccomended that i buy it, and although he had never noticed it before, after i played a couple games and pointed it out to him, it is now bothering the crap out of him too :( Also, over the past month or so, i have been in 3 seperate best buys, and checked out their display models, and the right speaker vibrated on all 3 of them. also, in this forum, there are posts from multiple people with multiple g74 models with the same problem, all with no luck with RMA with this issue. Its not a major issue, but after spending my hard earned money, I would like it to be fixed. Maybe chastity can help with this, id like to know for sure that RMA will fix this issue.

JRd1st
11-07-2011, 02:46 AM
by any chance does the op have a track I could use?

I have a hard time beleiving that nobody else has experienced this problem, .

Many people have had this issue as you also noted.

Chastity drops in occasionally, but she's in training and doesn't have a lot of time for the forum just now. So contact Brian@ASUS by PM.

Chastity@ASUS
11-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Well, i will give them a chance to fix it before i take it apart.

For the returns, best buy will only do a refund on computers and laptops within 14 days, if youve had it longer than that and have an issue you have to have the good warrenty, and then bring it in for the same problem FOUR TIMES then its declared a lemon and they will replace it or give you another laptop of "comparable value" but they will not refund it and if you dont have the best warrenty or none at all, youre basically stuck with it, asus will just revert you back to best buy for a refund or replacement if thats where you got it

Anyways, im going to try an rma if it comes back the same i will open it up
If anyone needs it, This thread looks pretty helpful in fixing the issue, which I will be doing if RMA fails.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/616055-how-disassemble-g74sx-reduce-speaker-vibrations-photos.html

Just a FYI: If you are a Silver Premiere member, then you get 45 days for return on all purchases, including notebooks.

I have a G74 here that I know vibrates a bit on one of the speakers, so I'll do some experimentations and see if I can rectify it. If I get it fine, then I'll see about getting yours done.

BrodyBoy
11-18-2011, 11:12 PM
I have a G74 here that I know vibrates a bit on one of the speakers, so I'll do some experimentations and see if I can rectify it. If I get it fine, then I'll see about getting yours done.
In the three G74s I've disassembled now, two had loose screws in the left speaker assembly. :(