PDA

View Full Version : G53SW powers off under load/When hot

MHzTweaaker
01-01-2015, 07:41 PM
I have an Asus G53SW that I removed the motherboard and replaced the DC power jack on.

Since replacement the unit has had much trouble staying powered on.

There seems to be some issue with the video getting hot and the video exhaust fan not powering on or something.

The laptop can sit running at idle all day and night with no real work load and it stays on.
I Just installed new Mushkin Blackline 8gb x 2 PC3-1600 RAM and tested overnight with MemTest 86+ 4.20: no problems

Sometimes the video fan spins up, sometimes it does not.
I have replaced the fan on the video side. No change in it's behavior.

I would like to know if there is a diagram of the proper placement of thermal transfer pads for the motherboard heatsink and case assembly? You know, those sticky, gooey little pads that act as a T.I.M. between power stages and other IC's. It seems that a few of them fell off during my power jack repair and I did my best to figure out where they all went using common sense and pictures of motherboards for sale on eBay with them in place.

I have also done things like removing all batteries including CMOS and main battery. I have held down the power button to drain any remaining power and cleared CMOS and loaded defaults. This would often cause the fan to work sometimes but it does not move air on the GPU side like the one on the CPU side does.

It is just my guess that heat is an issue although it could be something else. Bad Motherboard?

Any help appreciated.

C4RN1
01-05-2015, 12:07 AM
As far as the bottom case goes this is the only good pic I could find on ebay.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/Carnifreekshow/g53thermalpads_zpsa2c71af8.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/Carnifreekshow/media/g53thermalpads_zpsa2c71af8.jpg.html)

Did you remove the cpu and gpu heatsinks? Also did you remove the gpu from the board? You could try to reseat the gpu, maybe clean and reapply thermal compound for both.

Start monitoring your temps and see what's going on. Use hwinfo64 to monitor your temps, and see how hot everything gets. You can also use coretemp and gpu observer.

Also check the power from the board

Pinout should be:

Red = 5v
Blue = PWM Control
Black = Ground
Yellow = Tach/Sense

If you use a pin and remove the blue wire from the connector your fans should get a constant 5V. This should keep your computer running, if it doesn't then it's not transferring heat properly.

I just bought another g53sx and had the issue where temps on the other cores would spike around 212F (that's boiling literally). Took it apart to find this.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/Carnifreekshow/20150103_202850_zpsa5b67ca6.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/Carnifreekshow/media/20150103_202850_zpsa5b67ca6.jpg.html)

A bare spot on the cpu. Looks like an air bubble in the thermal compound. The laptop was still factory sealed so this was a flaw when it was made.

You could have a similar issue with the gpu heatsink, you never know until you look.

Good luck, let me know what you find.

MHzTweaaker
01-06-2015, 08:06 PM
Hey there in Charlotte... I'm over in Hillsborough (near Chapel Hill, NC)

Thank you for all the information.
I was beginning to give up hope of getting any help on here.
I use core temp all the time so I must be getting senile not to have used it already.

I will check the temps out with software. I just got a Samsung EVO 850 to install. I will make adjustments and post my results.

thanks again

C4RN1
01-13-2015, 04:42 AM
Any update?

MHzTweaaker
01-14-2015, 07:06 PM
Any update?

Sorry, work got really busy.

I just pulled the blue wire (PWM) connector and the fan does now run at full speed finally.

I pull a new Samsung 850EVO in it and tried to install Win 8.1 but is shut down before it could even start copying files.

I'm going to put the old drive back in there and see if I can get some temp readings from the GPU and CPU.

Will post back in a couple hours.

thanks

MHzTweaaker
01-14-2015, 07:38 PM
Any update?

After pulling the blue PWM wire on the GPU, it's idle temp is about 32C

The CPU is much higher at about 50C and gets as high as 63C during program load. Just using the web browser gives me 57C in CPU heat and no change in GPU heat.

Of course the CPU fan barely turns and only moves a small amount of air compared to the GPU.

What I am worried about is there is some other component on the board that is supposed to have a thermal pad between it (mobo) and the aluminum chassis frame. As I said initially, some of the pads fell off and I am not certain they are where they need to be.

MHzTweaaker
01-15-2015, 12:25 AM
I have been working on this LappyTop off and on for maybe 2 months in my spare time. I think maybe I finally have stability!!!! :cool:

I know I've taken this thing apart like 20+ times looking for clues. Here's what I did this last time:
- Removed heatsinks and thermal paste from GPU and CPU then cleaned all surfaces.
- Removed GPU daughter card and cleaned gold contacts with a pencil eraser and wiped with cotton cloth.
- Paid close attention that all thermal pads were placed in center of components
- Applied fresh thermal paste (Just used some Xigmatek I had lying around)
- Removed both Blue PWM wires from left and right cooling fans causing CPU and GPU maximum fan speed (always on)
- Reassembled with TLC

So far, so good. I got Win 8.1 Pro installed on my new Samsung 850 EVO with no shutdowns of power issues. I'm going to finish installing updates and my apps and then maybe a short Prime 95 run. It should power off almost immediately if nothing has changed.

MHzTweaaker
01-15-2015, 01:10 PM
Okay it's the next morning, my apps are installed and I have not had a single power down or restart yet.

HWInfo says my GPU idle temps are about 33C and my CPU idles about 40C now.

Before my last round of tweaks (reseating both heat-sinks+ fans at 100%), I could not even install Windows without it shutting off.

I even ran Prime95 for a few minutes and got the CPU temps up to 78-80C

All is well so far

Win 8.1 MCE is running great. I use Start Menu 8 with it. I installed 2 x 8GB PC3-1600 and added the Samsung 850 EVO. I had to download the Asus ATK setup and my internal Card Reader driver. I also installed Intel's latest chipset driver just to be sure. Now this is a worthy mobile desktop replacement.

Thanks for the help and suggestions