PDA

View Full Version : G750JZ Reformat, Now Battery Meter Shows Half The Life It Used To

DuffmasterFresh
01-02-2015, 02:00 PM
I just reformatted my G750JZ. The battery meter on power saving mode used to say I had 6-1/2 hours on a full charge, now it says I only have 3 hours on a full charge. I have setup everything the same way (so I hope), the only difference is I swapped the 1TB HDD for a 250GB SSD. Any idea why I have half the battery life I used to? Can I run a calibration from the bios? Thanks for the help!!!

hmscott
01-02-2015, 06:48 PM
I just reformatted my G750JZ. The battery meter on power saving mode used to say I had 6-1/2 hours on a full charge, now it says I only have 3 hours on a full charge. I have setup everything the same way (so I hope), the only difference is I swapped the 1TB HDD for a 250GB SSD. Any idea why I have half the battery life I used to? Can I run a calibration from the bios? Thanks for the help!!!

DuffmasterFresh, before reformatting, had you run on battery? If you had, then the laptop had a chance to measure usage and adjust it's estimate. Try it again now on battery for a while, and see if your estimate changes to the longer time.

Also, make sure your laptop uses power save power plan for battery use to get the best battery life.

6.5 hours is impossible as far as I know for the JZ, more like 3 hours 45 minutes at the outside, from all the reports I have read.

DuffmasterFresh
01-02-2015, 07:13 PM
DuffmasterFresh, before reformatting, had you run on battery? If you had, then the laptop had a chance to measure usage and adjust it's estimate. Try it again now on battery for a while, and see if your estimate changes to the longer time.

Also, make sure your laptop uses power save power plan for battery use to get the best battery life.

6.5 hours is impossible as far as I know for the JZ, more like 3 hours 45 minutes at the outside, from all the reports I have read.

Thanks for the reply!

Before I reformatted the computer and swapped the HDD for an SSD, I had actually gotten stellar battery life due to Optimus if all I was doing was internet or word processing. I could be at school all day without a power brick with me. I had tweaked all of my power saving options to make sure I could squeeze the most juice out of it.

I am using the same settings as I did previously (unless I forgot a setting) and am surprised I went from 6.5hrs to 3.5hrs. Unless of course the previous installation was calibrated wrong? My current battery life estimation meter seems to be all over the place where as in my previous install, it was steady with its readings.

hmscott
01-02-2015, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the reply!
Before I reformatted the computer and swapped the HDD for an SSD, I had actually gotten stellar battery life due to Optimus if all I was doing was internet or word processing. I could be at school all day without a power brick with me. I had tweaked all of my power saving options to make sure I could squeeze the most juice out of it.
I am using the same settings as I did previously (unless I forgot a setting) and am surprised I went from 6.5hrs to 3.5hrs. Unless of course the previous installation was calibrated wrong? My current battery life estimation meter seems to be all over the place where as in my previous install, it was steady with its readings.

DuffmasterFresh, you carry around a G750JZ to classes? Wow, that is dedication... but you know you could carry a 2 in 1, or even a tablet with a keyboard case to take notes. It isn't just the weight it is the chance of dropping or losing the $3000 laptop that would keep me from doing that... but you might have a situation that allows that without risk, so awesome :)

After hearing that then it is likely you just need to start using it for a while on battery for the numbers to set to a realistic setting again. I am not surprised the base estimate is 3 hours, as that is what I would expect - most people use it for more than just taking notes.

Maybe continue to look through the settings you adjusted for best battery life and watch the number as time on battery goes by.

Let us know if it improves :)

GottiBoi55
01-02-2015, 09:54 PM
You can try to recalibrate the battery, and power meter.
You can do this by the steps below

1. Plug the AC adapter into a power strip and connect it to your laptop, charge battery fully.
2. Go to the Control Panel.
3. Click Power Options, and then click on create new power plan.
4. Create new Power Plan and name it "Battery, and Power Meter Calibration, and then click Next.
5. Select Never On battery values for turn off the display, and put the computer to sleep and then click Create.
(This will prevent your notebook from turning off the display and entering Sleep mode to drain battery faster.)
6. Next unplug AC adapter.
7. Select MP3 file with a bit rate of 128 kbps.
8. Set WMP to repeat mode and start the MP3 file, and let the file run.
(make sure volume is all the way down)
9. Then just do nothing on your laptop, just allow the battery to discharge completely until the laptop turns off.
10. Plug in the AC adapter and charge battery fully.

Hopefully this will fix your issue.

hmscott
01-02-2015, 11:03 PM
You can try to recalibrate the battery, and power meter.
You can do this by the steps below

1. Plug the AC adapter into a power strip and connect it to your laptop, charge battery fully.
2. Go to the Control Panel.
3. Click Power Options, and then click on create new power plan.
4. Create new Power Plan and name it "Battery, and Power Meter Calibration, and then click Next.
5. Select Never On battery values for turn off the display, and put the computer to sleep and then click Create.
(This will prevent your notebook from turning off the display and entering Sleep mode to drain battery faster.)
6. Next unplug AC adapter.
7. Select MP3 file with a bit rate of 128 kbps.
8. Set WMP to repeat mode and start the MP3 file, and let the file run.
(make sure volume is all the way down)
9. Then just do nothing on your laptop, just allow the battery to discharge completely until the laptop turns off.
10. Plug in the AC adapter and charge battery fully.

Hopefully this will fix your issue.

GottiBoi55, DuffmasterFresh already has a fresh power plan, he just reloaded his OS, and DuffmasterFresh needs to get the correct time estimate for his actual usage, not a simulated usage.

The steps to create a custom powerplan, and how to generate a simulated usage to get a new reading are fine, but DuffmasterFresh is looking to get back his original reading, which I am assuming is based on his usage. That will only happen given time learning his usage patterns.

GottiBoi55
01-03-2015, 12:15 AM
Well doing a recalibration of the battery/power meter should get him on the right track.
I think it wouldn't hurt to try.
This is not a "simulated usage" procedure, but a slow battery drain recalibration.
This hopefully should reset his battery usage, something is draining the battery too fast.
With an SSD he should not be losing battery power that quickly, don't you think?
This slow drain procedure will help his system learn to drain the battery much slower, and should extend the battery usage.

hmscott
01-03-2015, 12:33 AM
Well doing a recalibration of the battery/power meter should get him on the right track.
I think it wouldn't hurt to try.
This is not a "simulated usage" procedure, but a slow battery drain recalibration.
This hopefully should reset his battery usage, something is draining the battery too fast.
With an SSD he should not be losing battery power that quickly, don't you think?
This slow drain procedure will help his system learn to drain the battery much slower, and should extend the battery usage.

GottiBoi55, I don't think he has confirmed the battery usage has actually dropped, he is only concerned about the change in the estimate after reloading the OS. He is likely away from school and not doing his usual routine, so any estimate is based on his short term usage on vacation.

As you say, a separate Custom Power Plan is the way to do it when staging a usage scenario different than normal, and he can use the results as a comparison for his vacation vs. normal usage.

berserk91.a
02-26-2015, 07:14 PM
DuffmasterFresh I'm in your same situation (great battery life for studying stuff, suddenly dropped to almost 3h).
Have you found the solution or at least the motivation for this battery drain?

UPDATE
in this other thread I posted a detailed report of my problem
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?58371-Battery-last-for-a-shorter-time-than-before&p=479741&viewfull=1#post479741