PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Running Windows 10 on the G75VW yet?

Clintlgm
01-03-2015, 11:23 PM
Anyone running 10 on a VW yet?

rproe
01-14-2015, 03:21 PM
I've been running Windows 10 since late November without any major issues. Running it with Office 13, Adobe CS6, and playing some League.

I did it as a fresh install, so I don't have any of the ASUS utilities, and I haven't gotten the function keys working. Oh, it doesn't like to wake back up from sleep without a full restart ... otherwise, everything has been smooth.

Clintlgm
01-14-2015, 04:15 PM
Thanks, I guess I'll just keep this one on 8.1 update. All system working.

rproe
01-14-2015, 04:44 PM
You might have better luck installing 10 as an upgrade from 8.1, I went with the fresh install since I was moving up from 7. I think that's why I lost some functionality. I honestly haven't fought very hard to get it working perfectly (it's my secondary machine). I intend to use it as-is to trial 10, and I'll play with it more once 10 is released and supported.

*EDITx2*

Thinking about it made me want to fix it, I downloaded and installed the Win7 drivers for the fn keys and Wireless Console, and the Win8 drivers for the Touchpad, and got everything working pretty quickly. I'm hung up on the sleep issue, and done playing with it for now.

If I manage to get that sorted, I'll pop back in and update you.

Clintlgm
01-15-2015, 06:26 AM
Yea lots of people had the sleep problem with win8 the Eightforum (http://www.eightforums.com/windows-8-forums/)has a giant thread on it. I'll be upgrading notebooks later this year so I think I'll just wait.

fand1
05-01-2015, 07:44 PM

Only bad thing iv`e noticed so far, is the little sub/speaker thingy doesn`t work.

Mycroft
05-14-2015, 06:08 AM
Yesterday, I was trying to install win10, but after 1 hour of installation (downloading and installing) I was surprised by critical error and next 20 minutes system was restored automatically.

SpasTaz0917
05-16-2015, 02:08 PM
I have installed Windows 10 on my G75VW but it is no longer my daily computer (Dust Collector)

but Windows 10 Nvidia Drivers doesn't work :'( not sure if it's because its an Rebranded Fermi (670m)

Clintlgm
05-16-2015, 02:45 PM
You got lucky. Although restoring that back up image you created just before trying the upgrade to 10, would have been a lot faster

C4RN1
05-16-2015, 08:27 PM
I've ran windows 10 on several machines (asus x501, asus g53sx, asus g53jw, asus g46vw, asus g74sx, and a dell inpirion 1525 (picked it up for my daughter for $40 broken).

Now the biggest problem you'll find with windows 10 is the updates and windows forcing drivers upon you. If you find a good driver that makes your laptop run perfect, odds are windows will download the latest driver that doesn't work then prompt you to restart.

With windows 10 on the dell I had to literally fix it every other day because my daughter couldn't play minecraft on the forced windows graphics driver. I disabled driver updates in the driver installation settings and that led to even more problems that shouldn't have affected windows. I was unable to update anything. I had to edit group policy settings and registry settings in windows to control windows updates.

I had the same issue with the G46, the Via audio drivers from asus worked perfect, but the forced windows audio drivers made my laptop think headphones were plugged in.

So if you guys are having issues fighting with drivers on the G75 check this link out.

https://4sysops.com/archives/disable-windows-update-in-windows-10/

https://4sysops.com/archives/turn-off-automatic-updates-in-windows-10-build-9926/

Miss_Vampi
08-03-2015, 07:48 AM
I've ran windows 10 on several machines (asus x501, asus g53sx, asus g53jw, asus g46vw, asus g74sx, and a dell inpirion 1525 (picked it up for my daughter for $40 broken).

Now the biggest problem you'll find with windows 10 is the updates and windows forcing drivers upon you. If you find a good driver that makes your laptop run perfect, odds are windows will download the latest driver that doesn't work then prompt you to restart.

With windows 10 on the dell I had to literally fix it every other day because my daughter couldn't play minecraft on the forced windows graphics driver. I disabled driver updates in the driver installation settings and that led to even more problems that shouldn't have affected windows. I was unable to update anything. I had to edit group policy settings and registry settings in windows to control windows updates.

I had the same issue with the G46, the Via audio drivers from asus worked perfect, but the forced windows audio drivers made my laptop think headphones were plugged in.

So if you guys are having issues fighting with drivers on the G75 check this link out.

https://4sysops.com/archives/disable-windows-update-in-windows-10/

https://4sysops.com/archives/turn-off-automatic-updates-in-windows-10-build-9926/

Thanks mate! I'm gonna try these out. In my case, the upgrade has been a disaster. Basically, some drivers work, others don't. My issue was that I wanted a clean install considering that I needed to clean my PC a bit. And once I did, firs thing I faced was, yup... driver issues. The works was the audio driver. VIA didn't work for me, I had to force disable it and enable RealTek ones cus it kept reading headphones. Then there was an issue with my upates. THey kept crashing and rolling back changes, so I decided to do another reset. What I faced later was worse, the reset got stuck and I got impatient, going beyond the point of no return by desperately formatting and wiping drives after finding out that the Windows 7 BIOS is incompatible with the Windows 10 EFI. MEANING, to do a restore was impossible because nothing would boot, not a CD not a USB not a restore option, just a very faulty reset. So it kept sending me on continuous loops. So if anyone wants to compare notes. I read somewhere that Updating the BIOS was a possible workaround, but I couldn't even get into the OS. The partitions need to be GTP apparently, and rolling back to Windows 7 I had to format them AGAIN since GTP were incompatible...... just....... messy messy messy. If anyone would care to lend me a hand. I managed to recover my unbootable machine with an old Win7 install disc and all the original drivers, Ill probably try to upgrade again. Also, Windows 8.1 drivers did NOT work for me, they all flashed incompatible. I used some Win8 and Win7 drivers the first time I got Win10 working. The recovery process was the problem, and I was silly enough to not do a System Image back up, just a restore point which does nothing.

zoram
08-03-2015, 11:14 AM
My experience :

The update process went very smoothly. At first glane everything worked straight away. After a closer look though:

- the trackpad only recognise one finger movments, no more scrolling with two fingers etc. Don't care that much as I mostly don't use it.
- audio doesn't switch automatically when plugging unplugging headphones.
- Microphone doesn't work (might have never worked as I think I never tried it), the sound is basically so low that Cortana doesn't hear you properly...

- Cortana issues:
For context, my ROG was bought in Belgium, so Windows came with 3 languages options, English, Dutch, French. I had it setup as English, so after the update it started in English.
As I live in France now, the localisation settings were on French for everything else. So Cortana doesn't work, because all settings have to be "aligned". Kind of weird, what about expats ?
Anyway, I switch everything to French (I'm French), and it kinda half work half doesnt. I can give Cortana my name, which it'll forget, and I have the little circle and the "Ask me anything", but when I go to the settings, it tells me Cortana is not available in my region. But it is and I have aligned all regional settings to French as explained to Microsoft ..

I then put all the regional settings to United States / US English. Now it works, no conflicting messages in the Cortana settings and it remembers my name. Which brings me back to the microphone issue, appart from screaming "What time is it ?" in the microphone, I can't do much with it ....

Anyone knows how to fix that damn microphone ?

Hernandus
12-10-2015, 09:08 PM
I installed Windows 10 on my G53SX and I'm thinking to re install Windows 7.
I found some issues, very slow startup, performance is not as good as in Windows 7. I have a SSD installed as my primary drive, and some programs takes ridiculous times to launch, CCleaner for example...
I think I'll wait some more time to give it a new chance.

PudgeamusPrime
12-11-2015, 06:19 AM
Only bad thing iv`e noticed so far, is the little sub/speaker thingy doesn`t work.

I wrote a thread on how to get it to work here

Just follow the directions.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?72299-G75VW-VIA-AUDIO-WINDOWS-10-Work-Around

PudgeamusPrime
12-11-2015, 06:26 AM
Follow the steps in this walk-through for you audio issue, This might also fix your mic
- https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?72299-G75VW-VIA-AUDIO-WINDOWS-10-Work-Around

Try the synaptics driver from this thread to get your track pad working correctly.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?79676-G75VW-WINDOWS-10-Tested-And-Working-Device-Drivers