PDA

View Full Version : G751JT - Installing Win 8.1 Pro

checkit81
01-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Hi All

i plan to install Win 8.1 Pro on this G751JT. It came with Win 8.1 Core. How can i retain the boot image when you first turn on the power, the image before desktop wall paper ?

Any help ?

Edweird
01-04-2015, 04:33 PM
Do you mean the ROG logo? That's going to always be there, has nothing to do with the OS.
If you mean the one on the login screen, those are standard Windows 8.1 images. You can find them in the "Personalize" menu on your Desktop - copy them onto a USB drive and then set them again the same way when you install your new OS. But uh...I think all versions of 8.1 have the same images for that.

At least that's what I think you want to do...

checkit81
01-05-2015, 05:55 AM
@Edweird

First off, Thanks for the response. And Yes to to your question. It is the Red ROG Logo with the black background before the login screen.

Secondly, i am not touching the 8GB SSD but would like to clean install Windows 8.1 Pro on the 1TB HDD. So i will need to wipe all partitions on the HDD and run a fresh installation of Win 8.1 Pro. That is all i wanted to do to removed all the bloated stuff that comes default.

Q.1 : Will i still get to see the ROG Logo when power on even i run a fresh Win 8.1 Pro installation on the HDD ?. Is that ROG Logo image in the Bios or the Factory Default Boot Image ?
Q.2 : Will i be able to run Factory Default Restore from the SSD if needed ?
q.3 : What is inside the 8GB SSD by the way.

Cheers mate

Edweird
01-05-2015, 08:48 AM
@Edweird

First off, Thanks for the response. And Yes to to your question. It is the Red ROG Logo with the black background before the login screen.

Secondly, i am not touching the 8GB SSD but would like to clean install Windows 8.1 Pro on the 1TB HDD. So i will need to wipe all partitions on the HDD and run a fresh installation of Win 8.1 Pro. That is all i wanted to do to removed all the bloated stuff that comes default.

Q.1 : Will i still get to see the ROG Logo when power on even i run a fresh Win 8.1 Pro installation on the HDD ?. Is that ROG Logo image in the Bios or the Factory Default Boot Image ?
Q.2 : Will i be able to run Factory Default Restore from the SSD if needed ?
q.3 : What is inside the 8GB SSD by the way.

Cheers mate

1. You will be able to see the ROG logo when powering on because it is stored within the BIOS. You will see the logo even without a harddrive in the laptop. Mine came with no OS and had the logo on.
2. I don't think there is anything to actually restore. A Windows 8 installation requires about 22GB of storage space. 8GB SSDs are intended to be used as cache drives for the main HDD to use for storing frequently used information.
3. I don't think there is anything on the SSD except maybe a file system. But there must be some software that controls the caching process so I don't know for certain and i don't know how to set up a caching drive either.

I'm sure someone else can pitch in on this, as well.

checkit81
01-05-2015, 09:04 AM
@Edweird

Thank you one again for enlightening on the Logo thingy. i had called Asus about the SSD and all i get was " There is no relations between the SSD and HDD, and they could not tell me what is in the SSD.

Any, glad to have Edweird pitch in on the Logo thingy.

Cheers mate Edweird