PDA

View Full Version : Dead G75VW laptop Motherboard or PSU?

Belisaur
01-04-2015, 03:45 PM
So its been a fun two years but I think I may have finally pushed my AsusG75VW too far. Last night I noticed it running very loud and very hot, particularly between the space between the letters and the number key pads, it could be felt through from the keyboard. I was concerned and made a mental note to clean the fans, something im very remiss at doing. Too little too late it seems! as It just died on me the next day. No power, no LED or any sort of life ,and It actually seems to short out the power brick when its plugged into it. Bad time!

Now my first instinct was that it was a motherboard failure straight off the bat, but someone has suggested to me that it could also be the charger block failing and losing its voltage. The presence of the LED light being present apparently only means theres enough voltage going through it to power the LED and when it's loaded with the charging circuit in the laptop it could be just losing its voltage, but this would have surely meant it just went to battery instead of shutting off entirely. And the entire lack of any life in the laptop , no boot, no LED or anything seems to confirm its probably not as simple as that. Im waiting on a multimeter to test the brick ,but what do those in the know think? Is it the block? is it the mobo? is it both? Bad news either way :(

GottiBoi55
01-04-2015, 09:16 PM
So its been a fun two years but I think I may have finally pushed my AsusG75VW too far. Last night I noticed it running very loud and very hot, particularly between the space between the letters and the number key pads, it could be felt through from the keyboard. I was concerned and made a mental note to clean the fans, something im very remiss at doing. Too little too late it seems! as It just died on me the next day. No power, no LED or any sort of life ,and It actually seems to short out the power brick when its plugged into it. Bad time!

Now my first instinct was that it was a motherboard failure straight off the bat, but someone has suggested to me that it could also be the charger block failing and losing its voltage. The presence of the LED light being present apparently only means theres enough voltage going through it to power the LED and when it's loaded with the charging circuit in the laptop it could be just losing its voltage, but this would have surely meant it just went to battery instead of shutting off entirely. And the entire lack of any life in the laptop , no boot, no LED or anything seems to confirm its probably not as simple as that. Im waiting on a multimeter to test the brick ,but what do those in the know think? Is it the block? is it the mobo? is it both? Bad news either way :(

Well by your description on the thermal location, (Graphics card location) it sounds like it could be graphics card/mobo failure.
(Asus solders the graphic card of your G75VW to the mobo)
Even if the A/C adapter shorted out, you still should be able to power up on battery.
The only real way to tell what's the issue is to RMA, and send in for service.
Your most likely passed the warranty period, (my guess) but you can still RMA.
But this would be a very costly repair to RMA for this issue. (Asus G75VW Mobo $300 (http://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=CxQjvAa2pVOWuCLKisAfP4YHACunX1osG2abcqdIB-bfEuFcIBBACKAVgyYamh9yj3BCgAY3jsO8DyAEHqgQnT9CRyyx XCunuQb6deP2YU1I-l8rDI-2iYv2QHe_a2g9NsDXUqP3bwAUFiAYBoAYmgAfbnM8QkAcDqAem vhvgEoy8oai2o-HVkAE&ohost=www.google.com&cid=5Gg2nXbr_mgWsAtEI88zHBkJr1JB64C8AbYqnv8MMknEfQ&sig=AOD64_3H1f5czDK3x4CeRnZrA0N-CLMgfw&ctype=5&rct=j&q=&ved=0CCYQww8&adurl=http://shop.mcccomputers.com/motherboards/12744-new-genuine-asus-g75vw-laptop-motherboard-60-n2vmb1401-b03-60-n2vmb1400-c03-60-n2vmb1400-c02-8589638075899.html&cad=rja), GTX-670M-Graphis card $200 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331224028255?lpid=82&chn=ps))
Check into this option, but it might be more cost efficient to upgrade to the new technology. (G750, or G751)
Good luck my friend.

Belisaur
01-04-2015, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the reply, I agree it doesnt look good, but I would be right in assuming then that I couldnt just buy a replacement mobo and transfer over the components , including the GPU? I thought Id be largely ok taking the thing apart and putting in a motherboard from Ebay. RMA , which I can only guess is repair/maintenance would be an idea for me , but as Its a US model brought home here to Ireland im not too sure if thats feasible! Also the cost in Euros/Sterling im guessing is an added kick in the teeth!

Belisaur
01-05-2015, 09:17 PM
So some interesting developments since! My laptop mysteriously came back to life, and while its still overheating in my opinion ,its in no way as bad as as it was (still enough to warrant a thurough cleaning though, and maybe some thermal pastin) but what has happened is that the Battery no longer seseems to be charging. Windows and HWinFo64 both recognise the battery, but it simply wont charge beyond the now 2% its dropped to. Is it possible that this has something to do with the PSU? Which has come back to life but still seems to have inclination to occasionally short itself out and not respond until plugged out or in again. Or is this residual motherboard damage from the initial shutoff? Any clues?!

GottiBoi55
01-07-2015, 12:01 AM
So some interesting developments since! My laptop mysteriously came back to life, and while its still overheating in my opinion ,its in no way as bad as as it was (still enough to warrant a thurough cleaning though, and maybe some thermal pastin) but what has happened is that the Battery no longer seseems to be charging. Windows and HWinFo64 both recognise the battery, but it simply wont charge beyond the now 2% its dropped to. Is it possible that this has something to do with the PSU? Which has come back to life but still seems to have inclination to occasionally short itself out and not respond until plugged out or in again. Or is this residual motherboard damage from the initial shutoff? Any clues?!

I agree a good cleaning, and good thermal re-paste is in order, that should do the trick.
Now to check the A/C adapter, take out the battery, and see if your NB will turn on.
Now if your NB turns on with just the A/C adapter, then you most likely have a bad battery.
Does the power led light up when plugged in?