PDA

View Full Version : G750JM Driver power state failure BSOD: UPDATE

troomc4
01-04-2015, 08:41 PM
So I have posted a few times on this subject. Every time I tried to update my drivers from the incredibly/perfectly stable 332.60 drivers, I would get the BSOD. So I stayed with those.

Until I went to play Dragon Age Inquisition and FarCry 4. Dragon age told me I was not able to play using the 332.60 drivers. That I knew before I installed it. And had the 344.75 ready to install.

So I installed that and enjoyed a week of playing those two wonderful games with no BSOD issues with the 344.75 drivers. Until today, when I went to play some FTL. I launched the game, tabbed out. Tabbed back in and it had crashed (not responding) and wouldn't let me close it. So I went to restart my laptop giving me the dreaded frowny face BSOD again.

So I do not know what to make of these 344.75 drivers. Were excellent for a week or so.

As far as I know there are no known fixes for this issue. It's like Asus and Nvidia are not even aware that it is an issue.

troomc4
01-05-2015, 02:57 AM
Just made a massive rant on r/techsupport. Hopefully they will provide some other imput that hasnt been said here.

I also wanted to add that I have the Nvidia gpu activity icon thing down in bottom right of my screen. I did noticed that when im playing a game its all orange and green, and when im not its grey.

When I got the last crash it was lit up like I was playing a game. But I wasnt. So idk if that has anything to do with it.

Edit: So fed up with this issue I went to nvidia support and got into a chat with them. They had me send them a msinfo.nfo file.

Once they looked it over they told me,

"from the system information report the graphics card and its drivers are being detected correctly. there are no other conflicts in regards to the graphics card. since this is an Optimus Laptop you would need to first install an updated driver for the onboard Intel graphics adapter and then install an updated driver for the GeForce graphics card, this works in many cases"

Who knows if this will work or not.

troomc4
01-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Update to the update I contacted nvidia and posted what they said. And on their forums https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/801521/geforce-drivers/driver-power-state-failure-bsod-issue-with-asus-laptop/ a user suggested contacting Asus. So I did.

They told me that it could be a hardware issue with the memory and/or GPU and that I should send it in for a service. Which is incredibly inconvenient.

Jaitsu
01-06-2015, 01:10 PM
This is one of those cases where it's a known issue, but they will not admit it's a known issue because then they have to do something about it. So, they will continue to stonewall you until you give up, or we create a class-action lawsuit about it, which is becoming increasingly tempting. For now, however, Nvidia seem to be aware of the issue (even if they won't answer anything) enough that newer drivers seem to be less and less likely to BSOD. I'm on 347.09 right now and have had no BSODs on it whatsoever. At this point, following the latest Nvidia drivers seems like the best course of action; you get much better performance than the older drivers, and the chances of BSODs seem to be negligible.

troomc4
01-06-2015, 05:08 PM
I've only gotten it twice since updating to 344.75. But I'm pretty sure I caused one of them. As I mentioned in the original post. I will give 347.09 a try later tonight. If I still get them, I will suffer through it until I beat Dragon Age and then go back to 332.60. lol

kobby2k6
01-07-2015, 12:36 AM
--------

"Guys, there has only been one post for this fix for the G751 - 860m, but it might be worth trying out on the G750:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post456309

"Needless to say that after uninstalling update KB2975719 4 days ago......I have not had a single BSOD error."

If it does work, you may have to do it more than once, as it has already been re-released by Microsoft - turn off auto-updates from Microsoft, and if you see it come back, make it Hidden so it won't get re-installed.

If you try it out, please post whether it worked or not[/B] "---------------

I got this G750JM in June, did all the nvidia updates and never had a BSOD till the nvidia update 2 versions ago (which was about two weeks ago). I tried this fix and haven't had a single issue since. I'm currently on the latest nvidia update (347.09) and haven't had a single BSOD since.

P.s. Your results may vary

RAM-disk
01-07-2015, 02:21 AM
Never had the KB2975719 installed in the first place windows update is disabled still getting BSOD (Power state failure) when exiting games with unmodified drivers. I'm running a modified 347.09 driver now.

hmscott
01-07-2015, 05:07 AM
Never had the KB2975719 installed in the first place windows update is disabled still getting BSOD (Power state failure) when exiting games with unmodified drivers. I'm running a modified 347.09 driver now.

RAM-disk, you might be safe now to do all the outstanding Microsoft updates - maybe don't do KB2975719 - but it might help to have the rest of the updates.

Maybe set a restore point / recovery point before doing the updates :)

If you are leaning toward tossing it off the roof still, it might be worth a try before the fling...

RAM-disk
01-07-2015, 01:38 PM
Windows updated now, KB2975719 not to be found, still BSOD with unmodified drivers.

hmscott
01-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Windows updated now, KB2975719 not to be found, still BSOD with unmodified drivers.

RAM-disk, are you running the original Asus OS build, or did you do an install from Windows 8.1 Microsoft media?

RAM-disk
01-07-2015, 06:40 PM
Original ASUS OS. Original hardware.

hmscott
01-07-2015, 08:14 PM
Original ASUS OS. Original hardware.

RAM-disk, you should RMA or return it, there are people not crashing, so it might be hardware related rather than software. Either way, you can't enjoy it with it crashing all the time.

RAM-disk
01-08-2015, 02:29 AM
Running actually alright with the modded 347.09 driver. It's the original NVIDIA drivers that cause the BSOD.

troomc4
01-09-2015, 02:06 AM
The original nvidia drivers (332.60) are what work best for me. Everything since then causes the BSOD. I've had 3 in the last hour on 344.75.

And what exactly do you mean by "modded" 347.09?

I have given up on trying to find a software fix to this issue. Mine is still under warrenty so I am gonna go to Geek Squad and see what they have to say. I think they can send it in for repairs for me. If I am wrong on that part I will just contact asus again and create a case and send it in for repairs. The asus person I talked to was pretty sure it was the gpu and/or memory.

So thanks to everyone who suggested different fixes. But sadly none have worked. Besided going back to 332.60.

RAM-disk
01-09-2015, 02:17 AM
Check the other BSOD thread I left instructions there.

Ok re posting here:

1. Download the latest Intel 4600 driver from the Intel site (don't use the ASUS driver) install the driver, it will refuse ...something about not compatible blah blah blah... F.ck it install thru device manager using the Have Disk option.

2. Download the latest Realtek HD audio driver from the Realtek site (do not use the ASUS driver) Install,reboot.

3. Download latest Nvidia driver 347.09 in my case. Unzip driver to Desktop, open driver folder and delete these 4 folders :

Display.NView, GfExperienceService, Miracast.VirtualAudio and ShieldWirelessController.(you'll have to do this with all drivers down the road)

Install your modified driver as admin, clean install driver only. Reboot, done.

This gives me 332.60 equivalent stability but better frame rates.

This should work for most of you since mine is probably the most f'd up rig around.

troomc4
01-09-2015, 02:37 AM
There are so many of them on here. Which thread would that be? Sorry I've been drinking away this issue. lol

RAM-disk
01-09-2015, 02:46 AM
And one more time:

1. Download the latest Intel 4600 driver from the Intel site (don't use the ASUS driver) install the driver, it will refuse ...something about not compatible blah blah blah... F.ck it install thru device manager using the Have Disk option.

2. Download the latest Realtek HD audio driver from the Realtek site (do not use the ASUS driver) Install,reboot.

3. Download latest Nvidia driver 347.09 in my case. Unzip driver to Desktop, open driver folder and delete these 4 folders :

Display.NView, GfExperienceService, Miracast.VirtualAudio and ShieldWirelessController.(you'll have to do this with all drivers down the road)

Install your modified driver as admin, clean install driver only. Reboot, done.

This gives me 332.60 equivalent stability but better frame rates.

This should work for most of you since mine is probably the most f'd up rig around.

BenF2409
01-26-2015, 09:20 PM
Any progress on this issue from ASUS/Nvidia? New drivers still cause my laptop to BSOD, still stuck on 332.60. Kind of disappointed, it would be an excellent laptop if it didn't have all these problems.

gravity010
01-29-2015, 12:48 PM
I tested the latest driver of Nvidia 347.25 last Tuesday. It has been 3 days and I haven't encountered any BSOD. I tried the usual testing whether it would go to BSOD by alt+tabbing a running 3d extensive game (Watch_Dogs, Dying Light, Dragon Age inqusition, etc.) for about an hour or so. I also tried playing the games and taking out the power adapter so it would just run on battery and still no BSOD. I will observe for the next coming weeks and will update this thread if the 347.25 is already a stable driver for us Asus G750JM users. :)

Jaitsu
01-30-2015, 01:06 AM
347.25 is stable as far as I can tell. The only issue I notice on rare occasion is that the clocks won't go up like they should for some games, so you might have low performance until you reboot, but that's not the end of the world, at least not to the extent that having random BSODs is. But yeah, I've been using the latest drivers and have had no BSODs in a few months, and mostly good performance. Basically, it's fixed to the point that I can't be arsed to fight with it anymore.

gravity010
01-30-2015, 02:37 PM
At least this is good news for other G750JM users. Will update after a week and see how it goes if I ever get a BSOD on this one. :) But so far so good. been really trying to replicate on how I previously get BSOD Driver Power State Failure and still nothing. Hope this latest firmware does the trick. :D Thanks Jaitsu for your input. Glad to know that I have another user confirming that the 347.25 version seems to have eliminated this constant BSOD due to changing from the iGPU to dGPU use which causes the crashes.

BenF2409
01-30-2015, 10:19 PM
I'll try the 347.25, see if that helps me.

EDIT: No luck, it BSOD's 2 minutes after I finished installing it. Back to 332.60 I go.

gravity010
01-30-2015, 11:51 PM
I'll try the 347.25, see if that helps me.

EDIT: No luck, it BSOD's 2 minutes after I finished installing it. Back to 332.60 I go.

Did you try installing by using DDU program and performing a clean uninstall and a fresh install? :)

swaaye
01-31-2015, 09:29 PM
I know some Windows Updates have been problems, but something MS addresses with updates is BSOD bugs. So you probably don't want to just go without updates. Windows 8/8.1 have received more updates/fixes than any other Windows in history I think.

I used to have BSODs but I haven't had one in months now. Sometime last summer maybe. I've been upgrading to new NV drivers when they come out and have been on the latest Intel drivers too. Windows Updates as well...

However I noticed the other day that the official NV drivers don't overclock like the ASUS drivers do. The GPUTweak program doesn't work and neither does any other program I've tried. I'm running ASUS 337.88 because of that. I'm not playing any new games at the moment anyway.

BenF2409
01-31-2015, 10:06 PM
Did you try installing by using DDU program and performing a clean uninstall and a fresh install? :)

I downloaded the driver from the Geforce site and performed a clean install. I didn't uninstall 332.60 first if that's what you mean.

Azrael_Manatheren
02-03-2015, 02:06 PM
So no fix still? And has anyone contacted ASUS directly? If so, were they helpful?

gravity010
02-05-2015, 01:38 AM
I downloaded the driver from the Geforce site and performed a clean install. I didn't uninstall 332.60 first if that's what you mean.

Oh. What I did is i uninstalled first the 332.60 driver specific for the Asus G750JM (not to be confused with the generic 332.60 Nvidia driver). I keep a copy of the installer of the asus 332.60 in case things go sour. I used the DDU program for the clean uninstall.

I then proceeded with the 347.25 generic Nvidia driver with a clean install. It has been a week of using the laptop with the latest driver and so far so good. No BSODs yet. I have been stress testing it by playing AC:Unity & Dying Light; doing an Alt+Tab during gametime. I even plug it out of the ac adapter, putting it back in. (This usually causes the BSOD for me). So far, no BSODs.

BenF2409
03-03-2015, 09:47 AM
Any updates on this issue? Kind of frustrating, still.

4bluedog
06-05-2015, 01:11 PM
I was having the same problems and looking for a solution since months. Few days ago I've experimented again with drivers and did that:

1. got rid of Intel and Nvidia graphics drivers width Display Driver Uninstaler (in safe mode)

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

2. downloaded latest Intel GPU drivers for HD 4600 and installed it

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=4th+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2% 84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4600

3. rebooted
4. downloaded latest Nvidia drivers for GTX 860M and installed it

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/85819/en-us

4. rebooted and have stable software/hardware with newest NVIDIA and INTEL GPU drivers witch gave me maximum possible performance.

Trust me guys and girls. If anything before didn't work try this. I've joined this forum only for sharing with You my simple solution.

Yuluga
06-06-2015, 12:26 AM
I was having the same problems and looking for a solution since months. Few days ago I've experimented again with drivers and did that:

1. got rid of Intel and Nvidia graphics drivers width Display Driver Uninstaler (in safe mode)

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

2. downloaded latest Intel GPU drivers for HD 4600 and installed it

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=4th+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2% 84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4600

3. rebooted
4. downloaded latest Nvidia drivers for GTX 860M and installed it

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/85819/en-us

4. rebooted and have stable software/hardware with newest NVIDIA and INTEL GPU drivers witch gave me maximum possible performance.

Trust me guys and girls. If anything before didn't work try this. I've joined this forum only for sharing with You my simple solution.

http://i.imgur.com/libZtaR.jpg

Hi! I am holder of a "Asus ROG G750JZ" for a few months, everything went well, but for a while I started dating BSOD because of the graphic nvidia, as all of us go ... I do not have overclocking and have disabled the option "turbo" BIOS. I still have the problem, when I open Sony Vegas or Photoshop, freezes and appears BSOD! It's pretty annoying and I see that this often happens G750 series ... I tried your method, the Intel HD 4600 is the same, as a curiosity try to update it and told me that is not supported, but by following his steps I will update tutorial (windows update notice me then updates the graph intel, gave to hide) perhaps all concerned a dispute with the driver?

Yuluga
06-06-2015, 03:18 PM
New error blue screen> DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

4bluedog
06-08-2015, 07:34 AM
Try to update all other drivers from asus website. After that use DDU to uninstall intel and nvidia graphics drivers (DDU prevents system to automatic finding and updating drivers via windows update). Next install latest intel official drivers (there shouldn't be any errors/messages about incompatibility), reboot and finally install latest nvidia official drivers. Then reboot and test your system.

Yuluga
06-08-2015, 12:40 PM
Try to update all other drivers from asus website. After that use DDU to uninstall intel and nvidia graphics drivers (DDU prevents system to automatic finding and updating drivers via windows update). Next install latest intel official drivers (there shouldn't be any errors/messages about incompatibility), reboot and finally install latest nvidia official drivers. Then reboot and test your system.
I did that, right now new blue screen with the error "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" I am very tired of this issue

I took a month each day goes blue screen, previously passed with w8.1, the truth is that I need a solution