PDA

View Full Version : Asus ROG75JS memory upgrade

colcor
01-06-2015, 07:29 PM
i recently purchased a new rog750js with 12Gb ram (3 x 4Gb) and i was looking to know if it would run ok if i add an 8Gb mem to the spare/unused slot or do they have to balance 4Gb x 4 or 2 x 4Gb and 2 x 8Gb.

Edweird
01-06-2015, 07:51 PM
It should operate without issue. To get the best results the memory has to have the same voltage (1.35v), run at the same frequencies and have the same timings - but it will still run fine - it will simply downclock itself to whatever speed all the rest of the modules are running at or vice-versa. As far as I know 2 of your 4gb sticks will run in dual-channel mode and the third 4gb stick will run at dual-channel speeds with the bottom 4gb of your 8gb stick. The other half of the 8gb stick will run at single channel speeds (because of Intel's Flex tech). This part I am not 100% sure on.

If you have the stick, put it in. It will either work or it won't boot. My G751 has a single stick of 8gb at 1600MHz CL11 timings. I put in a kit of 2 Kingston Hyper-X PnP 1333MHz CL9 1.5v (!) memory in mine from my old laptop, just to test it and it worked just fine so...have at it!

(Just to clear that up - that's different brand, different voltage, different capacity, different speed and different timings - and it works.)

Darnassus
01-08-2015, 05:17 AM
Just get another 4gb stick, keep it all balanced. You'll never utilise 16gb ram unless you're Virtual Boxing / Multiboxing / running a game with extensive modifications like Skyrim.