PDA

View Full Version : G751 Boot delay - black screen wth blinking / flashing white cursor after bios update

Portugieser
01-08-2015, 09:10 AM
Hi Guys,

I recently installed Windows 8.1 on my G751. I have only one OS installed on the SSD (Win 8.1), the HDD is only for storage with no OS on it.

When I start the PC (boot up) this happens:
1. ROG logo appears (1 sec)
2. Black screen appears with quickly blinking white cursor on the top left corner (6-7 sec)
3. Windows boot starts to login screen.

Can you please advise how to get rid of that black screen under point 2? I did not have this on my G75, but suddently appears on my G751. No big deal, but annoying to wait longer for system boot.

In BIOS, my only boot sequence is the SSD drive, so no idea what the hell else the PC is checknig before Windows 8.1 boot starts. I did rebuild BCD as well, but nothing seem to help.

Might be it is due to the BIOS 205 update? Not sure this problem was there with the factory BIOS 202 .... anyone?

Many thanks,
P.

jever
01-08-2015, 11:25 AM
I have the same issue, just got my laptop.. deleted all win8 partitions and installed win7.

Upgraded the bios to 205 and after that I have boot delay aswell

Portugieser
01-08-2015, 11:36 AM
I have the same issue, just got my laptop.. deleted all win8 partitions and installed win7.

Upgraded the bios to 205 and after that I have boot delay aswell

Great, thanks ASUS for releasing such rubbish ... In the meanwhile I rolled back to Bios 202 and the issue is gone.

hmscott
01-08-2015, 09:28 PM
Great, thanks ASUS for releasing such rubbish ... In the meanwhile I rolled back to Bios 202 and the issue is gone.

Portugieser, maybe you could get away with updating somewhere between 202 and 205. There are useful improvements for temperature reading and monitoring in 203/204 as well.

Watch you temps :)

Portugieser
01-09-2015, 08:43 AM
Portugieser, maybe you could get away with updating somewhere between 202 and 205. There are useful improvements for temperature reading and monitoring in 203/204 as well.

Watch you temps :)

Thanks mate, I will, but so far it looks just fine. Also, my problem with 203 and 204 is this:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53249-PSA-G751-203-BIOS-limits-max-turbo-boost-from-35x-to-34x (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53249-PSA-G751-203-BIOS-limits-max-turbo-boost-from-35x-to-34x)

is that missing 100mhz has anything that decreases FPS in games?

hmscott
01-09-2015, 01:54 PM
Thanks mate, I will, but so far it looks just fine. Also, my problem with 203 and 204 is this:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53249-PSA-G751-203-BIOS-limits-max-turbo-boost-from-35x-to-34x (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53249-PSA-G751-203-BIOS-limits-max-turbo-boost-from-35x-to-34x)

is that missing 100mhz has anything that decreases FPS in games?

fabrimacator21, it's funny, some that increase the multipliers with XTU complain it isn't enough of a boost, and those that are missing a small sliver of that improvement worry that they are missing out on a big improvement :)

The overall change, for example, of my 4700HQ from a Turbo boost of 3.2ghz to 3.4ghz is about 6% by the numbers, others have benchmarked some CPU rendering at over 10% improvement - so it can vary according to the usage. A drop of that 100mhz is about 25% reduction in the boost at 4 cores 100%, so that is significant. But, if you are talking about 1/2 core improvement it will be less of a percentage of loss. But, remember, that is only 25% of a 6% overall boost, maybe 10%, for a total of 2% or 2.5%, a tiny decrease.

If I had a choice between temperature and other BIOS fixes and losing .1ghz, I would pick the BIOS update.

Portugieser
01-09-2015, 03:22 PM
fabrimacator21, it's funny, some that increase the multipliers with XTU complain it isn't enough of a boost, and those that are missing a small sliver of that improvement worry that they are missing out on a big improvement :)

The overall change, for example, of my 4700HQ from a Turbo boost of 3.2ghz to 3.4ghz is about 6% by the numbers, others have benchmarked some CPU rendering at over 10% improvement - so it can vary according to the usage. A drop of that 100mhz is about 25% reduction in the boost at 4 cores 100%, so that is significant. But, if you are talking about 1/2 core improvement it will be less of a percentage of loss. But, remember, that is only 25% of a 6% overall boost, maybe 10%, for a total of 2% or 2.5%, a tiny decrease.

If I had a choice between temperature and other BIOS fixes and losing .1ghz, I would pick the BIOS update.

Thanks mate, will do the maths and then decide. Need a good sleep before this . :)

Portugieser
01-09-2015, 05:20 PM

Well, after hours of playing, the CPU and GPU temps are around 60-70 ... I see no issues here. Any specific thing to watch at temps?

hmscott
01-09-2015, 05:42 PM
Well, after hours of playing, the CPU and GPU temps are around 60-70 ... I see no issues here. Any specific thing to watch at temps?

Portugieser, playing games isn't the same as running a fixed stress test or benchmark that can be compared across hardware. When you run a stress test or a benchmark the task is the same, and the results known, so they can be compared to what you get.

Most of the complaints have been when pushing the CPU/GPU at the same time, doing a simultaneous combined CPU / GPU stress test. Running prime95 Small FFT tests + Furmark 15 minute burnin can send the G751JY into Thermal Throttling, with the newer BIOS's the results have been better, is it because it is running 1x less boost on 4 cores, it might be, but even so some still Thermal Throttle and need to reduce their 3/4 simultaneous cores down another 1x or 2x.

prime95 download
http://www.mersenne.org/download/

furmark download
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

hwinfo64 download
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Here is an example of a run with the numbers showing, it helps to use windows snipping tool to grab what you need in a screenshot:

I add GPU-Z for monitoring more GPU info, and Asus GPU Tweak for Graphic cards to show OC.

Here are some furmark+prime95 results for the G751, there are some before this post and some after:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54521-Cpu-or-Fan-problem&p=457188&viewfull=1#post457188

Please post similar with 202 BIOS and if you like 204 BIOS.

The 205 BIOS slow boot is new, when 205 first came out noone mentioned it - maybe they didn't notice? Or something else is involved? Maybe just do a Set Defaults in the BIOS before/after upgrade, has that been tried?

Medicius
02-26-2015, 08:26 PM
I have noticed this blinking lag too. Has anyone solved this problem?

d0r1n
02-26-2015, 08:39 PM
there is a very easy response for all with blinking problem: INSTALL WINDOWS CORRECTLY IN UEFI MODE and don't blame asus for your stupid mistakes,OMG.

make a boot stick in format fat32(DO NOT MAKE NTFS)
make sure that u have selected UEFI in bios
restart and press ESC,select the stick
install the win like before

THATS THE WHOLE SOLUTION,WOW so hard

Pahani
02-26-2015, 09:34 PM
My G751JY had this issue yesterday when updating to the 206 BIOS >.< It seemed to hang up without completely shutting down, I had a black screen and a moveable cursor, that was it.

Finally, one of my repeated shutdown attempts with the power button worked! It was out of service like this for about 3 hours, long enough that I had nearly given up and contacted Amazon for an exchange. THEN it started working, and I had to scramble to stop the shipment.

Nice to know that Amazon doesn't screw around with replacements though, would have had my new one today!

Hardware-wise, I think I have a good machine, so I'll try to keep it.....this is the only issue I've experienced so far, but wow it's a doozy! If this issue happens another 2 or 3 times though, I'll have it replaced.

Medicius
02-26-2015, 09:40 PM
@d0r1n, calm down. Nobody is blaming ASUS, i'm just asking what can be done. Thank you for reply.

Medicius
02-26-2015, 11:32 PM

Well, that didn't solve my anything.

benjmyers1
02-27-2015, 03:51 AM
there is a very easy response for all with blinking problem: INSTALL WINDOWS CORRECTLY IN UEFI MODE and don't blame asus for your stupid mistakes,OMG.

This is the solution. You installed windows in 'legacy' mode and didn't make your usb UEFI bootable. there is a program called rufus.

Heres is an awesome link that I followed and it worked perfectly (make sure to change your bios back to defult - revert back to secure boot before reinstalling from the uefi usb boot stick)
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html
ben

RogueNote
02-27-2015, 04:14 AM
Hi Guys,

I recently installed Windows 8.1 on my G751. I have only one OS installed on the SSD (Win 8.1), the HDD is only for storage with no OS on it.

When I start the PC (boot up) this happens:
1. ROG logo appears (1 sec)
2. Black screen appears with quickly blinking white cursor on the top left corner (6-7 sec)
3. Windows boot starts to login screen.

Can you please advise how to get rid of that black screen under point 2? I did not have this on my G75, but suddently appears on my G751. No big deal, but annoying to wait longer for system boot.

In BIOS, my only boot sequence is the SSD drive, so no idea what the hell else the PC is checknig before Windows 8.1 boot starts. I did rebuild BCD as well, but nothing seem to help.

Might be it is due to the BIOS 205 update? Not sure this problem was there with the factory BIOS 202 .... anyone?

Many thanks,
P.
As others have mentioned indeed the issue is installing in Legacy instead of UEFI.
When I had this issue myself, what I did was:
Insert Windows CD and press Restart then continuously press the ESC key until the boot options Window shows.
Once there make sure you select the UEFI option, there is a line that starts with UEFI, select that and press Enter.
When the Press any key message starts do as told and well from there one I'm sure you know what to do. ^^

A little something I also found out is that if you have an SSD and a HDD it's best when at the partition window to create a partition just for the SSD
and then make the HDD one after Windows has been installed. (Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Computer Management>Disk Management)
The issue you would avoid is having windows make boot files at the HDD partition or something like that.
Surely many know that but I just thought I'd mention for those who went thru the issues like me.

Medicius
02-27-2015, 02:53 PM
OMG.... The things you have to know and do, to get UEFI working.
1. You have to know what UEFI is and how it works.
2. Then you have to know that UEFI is only compatible with FAT32 file system and how to configure BIOS.
3. When you know that, then u have to understend how to split install files larger then the USB with FAT32 file system can handle.
4. And then when you are almost done , u realize that you can't use previously created system image backup and that you will have to install everything over again.
And that whole work just for one short 5 second lag between BIOS and OS. :-/
Was it worthwhile? Well... yes. Boot time now is about 6 seconds. B-)

Thanks for your help. ;-)

d0r1n
02-28-2015, 10:30 PM
now are u happy?
my metod worked for me,i activated the keys in the bios too and now i have asus logo on boot and next the desktop(no win logo)
i have 8 sec boot with samsung 850 evo

Medicius
02-28-2015, 11:25 PM
Well... @d0r1n, your metod was just too shallow for me.
Get another drive, which will be cooler.... and faster. ;)

d0r1n
03-01-2015, 12:16 AM
samsung 850evo and pro are the best drives 2,5" on the market
i dont need faster 2 sec,i need performance and endurance

Medicius
03-03-2015, 04:16 PM
@d0r1n, I was just kidding. ;)

Portugieser
03-05-2015, 07:45 PM

Dude, if you have some time, please try to spend it in school to learn about basic manners and pick up some education. I really appreciate useful information that helps me, escpecially if I make mistakes. Yes, I am not almighty and make mistakes dude, strange isnt it? So, thank you for that part.

By the way, what it has to anything with UEFI stuff, if the problem did not exist before BIOS 205 and 206? Looks like reading is also not your strength? Blame it or not 205 is rubbish work from ASUS mate...

On the other hand stop talking to me (or anyone) like this, dickhead. THATS THE WHOLE SOLUTION,WOW so hard
:)