PDA

View Full Version : G73jh won't power up after repaste - Ideas?

emhomes
01-09-2015, 12:26 AM
Hi all.
I've got a g73jh that was somewhat abused by previous owner. Was running ok for several months but began to shut down due to overheating after5-10 minutes so I tore it down, cleaned it out and repasted with arctic silver. Put it back together and now I get absolutely nothing - no lights or signs of life at all. I've taken it back down twice again and I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anything. Any ideas? Thanks.

ll_r1d0_ll
05-10-2015, 09:03 PM
Hi all.
I've got a g73jh that was somewhat abused by previous owner. Was running ok for several months but began to shut down due to overheating after5-10 minutes so I tore it down, cleaned it out and repasted with arctic silver. Put it back together and now I get absolutely nothing - no lights or signs of life at all. I've taken it back down twice again and I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anything. Any ideas? Thanks.

same situation just like mine but a little different . Got it used but was not overheating that much .. i disassembled it and repasted the cpu and the gpu and reassembled it back . Now i can see lights turning on ...Windows booting sound but no DISPLAY ! i dont think thats a gpu issue as the windows is booting up and i can hear it. I think u should check all the cables if there are fitted properly and try to turn it on with the battery maybe there is something wrong with ur AC connector

C4RN1
05-10-2015, 11:15 PM
For the power issues I would check all of the fcc cables, it's really easy for them to split or merge at the cable ends. The best way to fix them is to try to straighten them out with your fingernail, then carefully insert them into the zif connector. I had a G53 that the backlight button and the splendid video button did the same thing. It was a cable that had a bridged connection at the end that I was able to fix.

As for the display issue, I would remove, clean and reseat the video card. You can clean the contacts with an eraser, and then use cotton swabs and concentrated isopropyl to take care of the remaining residue. I would also just test it with a couple screws in it incase you have to rip it apart again. Inspect the video connector and the cable end for bent pins or contacts.

It shouldn't be too difficult to fix either problem, just take your time.

I recommend to create a checklist and check things off as you go. Sometimes your memory gets the best of you when you're troubleshooting laptops.

Let us know how it goes

ll_r1d0_ll
05-14-2015, 09:24 AM
For the power issues I would check all of the fcc cables, it's really easy for them to split or merge at the cable ends. The best way to fix them is to try to straighten them out with your fingernail, then carefully insert them into the zif connector. I had a G53 that the backlight button and the splendid video button did the same thing. It was a cable that had a bridged connection at the end that I was able to fix.

As for the display issue, I would remove, clean and reseat the video card. You can clean the contacts with an eraser, and then use cotton swabs and concentrated isopropyl to take care of the remaining residue. I would also just test it with a couple screws in it incase you have to rip it apart again. Inspect the video connector and the cable end for bent pins or contacts.

It shouldn't be too difficult to fix either problem, just take your time.

I recommend to create a checklist and check things off as you go. Sometimes your memory gets the best of you when you're troubleshooting laptops.

Let us know how it goes

great idea ! (thumbsup)