PDA

View Full Version : G51JX overheating

hinouchie
11-06-2011, 01:55 AM
Hi

My laptop is overheating to the point where it shut it self down, I even have a laptop
cooler to help venting out the heat. I am not even running the laptop to the max, I only have 1 browser and few tabs open with facebook games "The Sim" running, MSN, and music player. Nothing video intense program are running, it still overheat. I have to use "quiet office" mode in order to proven my laptop from shutting it self
down.

I clean the vent every few weeks. I'm assuming the laptop need
thermal past reapplying on the CPU and GPU.

Filed two case on Asus support page, first time no one reply back back at all. Second time, they suggested to update the bios, video card drivers, re-install windows, which I already did all of those above didn't help at all. and the support team NEVER got back to me

Like seriously what do I have to do to get some help here -.- ... how I regret getting a Asus now, one of the worse customer service I have ever deal with.

Hin

dstrakele
11-06-2011, 03:36 AM
Sorry to hear of your G51JX overheating problems. I agree with your assumption that a repaste is necessary. I recommend PMing Brian@ASUS or Mason@ASUS to help you set up an RMA.

JRd1st
11-06-2011, 10:43 AM
I would buy a tube of THIS STUFF (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7038/thr-41/Innovation_Cooling_Diamond_7_Carat_Thermal_Compoun d_-_15_Grams.html) and tape it to the laptop with instructions to use it instead of their regular stuff.

hinouchie
11-06-2011, 05:02 PM
@dstrakele

Thank you for the info, I've been emailing customer service about the problem, no one seem want to help. My laptop still under warranty till April 2012 so it's getting really frustrated with customer service.

@JRd1st
I would love to do the job myself, but I don't want to void the warranty and all.

dstrakele
11-06-2011, 05:10 PM
That's why I recommended you PM Brian@ASUS or Mason@ASUS on this forum. It couldn't hurt your cause to get them as allies.

hinouchie
11-06-2011, 05:35 PM
That's why I recommended you PM Brian@ASUS or Mason@ASUS on this forum. It couldn't hurt your cause to get them as allies.

Yea I already PMed Brian about the issue, now I'll just wait for reply :) thanks again.

Brian@ASUS
11-06-2011, 08:11 PM
can you download coretemp and GPUz and see what kind of temperatures you're running into? coretemp will tell you the cpu temp on all cores and gpuz will tell you the graphics card temp.

when you clean your vent, are you opening up the panel and blowing into the fan and out of the chassis or blowing into the chassis vent? if you blow in, it will just collect more dust, you need to blow out of the exhaust.

as a last result if you want, i would reapply thermal paste. be sure to put a small thin layer and has good contact. do NOT remove or rip the thermal pads on the graphics card.

otherwise i would send in a RMA.

when you say support page is it on asusrog? or somewhere else?

hinouchie
11-06-2011, 09:27 PM
can you download coretemp and GPUz and see what kind of temperatures you're running into? coretemp will tell you the cpu temp on all cores and gpuz will tell you the graphics card temp.

when you clean your vent, are you opening up the panel and blowing into the fan and out of the chassis or blowing into the chassis vent? if you blow in, it will just collect more dust, you need to blow out of the exhaust.

as a last result if you want, i would reapply thermal paste. be sure to put a small thin layer and has good contact. do NOT remove or rip the thermal pads on the graphics card.

otherwise i would send in a RMA.

when you say support page is it on asusrog? or somewhere else?

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2485/temprv.jpg
That's my temp on my laptop, just 1 browser and 1 chat running. If I play any games, it's gonna skyrocket at 105c then shut down. I'm using quiet office mode right now, with cpu throttle at 50 percent.

I was contacting asus on their http://service.asus.com/ site which I am suppse to ... not with asusrog.

but wouldn't reapplying the thermal paste void my warranty? ..

and I blow out of the chassis, I took the back plat off, and blow all the dust out the vent.

JRd1st
11-06-2011, 09:58 PM
You can't paste it yourself without voiding your warranty. Like I said earlier, buy IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound and send it in with your notebook to RMA and ask them to use that stuff when they repaste because the normal stuff they use is reportedly crap.

BrodyBoy
11-06-2011, 10:12 PM
You can't paste it yourself without voiding your warranty. Like I said earlier, buy IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound and send it in with your notebook to RMA and ask them to use that stuff when they repaste because the normal stuff they use is reportedly crap.
Oh, that's a great idea, JR! I didn't know you could do that.

hinouchie
11-06-2011, 10:30 PM

AAAH that's a good idea :) will do that when I RMA the laptop thanks ^^

JRd1st
11-06-2011, 10:32 PM
I don't know either, but you should be able to. Geez, if you're gonna send it in why not get a repaste that will last a lifetime. Slip the guy $10 if you have doubts.

hinouchie
12-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Just a little update, been contacting Asus for 2 months+ and waited a month+ on this forum for support. Email have to sent and forwarded to the right person, and there's ZERO sign of support what so ever. Can't even PM Brain to get a update on my case since his inbox is freaking full, and he "have" been "helping" me.

Now I know why they backed up their laptop with 2 years of warranty, you won't be getting them ANYWAYS. Gonna fix up the laptop myself, then sell it. This will be the last time I'll recommend ASUS to anyone I know.

lilu
02-27-2013, 10:42 AM
Hi All ,

I had Overheating problem when I am watching a video in my ASUS G51JX-A1 - the nvidia card was getting to 108 & shutting down , So I made a PPT Guide & upload it to YouTube - the guide is about how to replace the Thermal Grease from the CPU & the Nvidia video card & clean the fan .
For me it's realy help ,now its working very good & not shutting down anymore.
For advanced user only**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd0CEg9QzXM

Hilush

wasteofpaint
06-30-2014, 08:41 PM
Hello everyone,
I am posting here because i recently had to (re-send) my Asus G51J (back) to the service center because if i ran Final Fantasy XIV, or its Benchmark test, my notebook would simply turn off and with no warning shut down. Before i sent it to Asus Service Center, the laptop ran FFXIV just fine, and the only reason i had sent it in was because when i attached the charger to the notebook it would not take a charge. They replaced the Motherboard and the VGA board. The same day i got it back, i re installed FFXIV, ran the game, and it crashed in only about 1 and a half minutes. For the benchmark, about 30 seconds. I deleted it, re installed it, tried again, and it did the same thing. This is directly after i had just received the laptop back from the Service Center. It has also been completely reformatted, running Windows 7 now instead of XP. I sent the notebook back to the Service Center and I really hope they can diagnose this problem and fix it, and i have to admit, i am quite frustrated as i spent $265 to have it "fixed" already, and it is in worse shape than before, as it can't even run the game at all. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.