PDA

View Full Version : G74SX GPU Fan is Loud

Panda
11-06-2011, 03:37 AM
My GPU fan is constantly at the same sound decibel from startup to gaming. Mine can be faintly heard from my doorframe, which is about 8-10 feet away. Is there any program or drivers that can solve this issue? or is this how loud it should be?

dstrakele
11-06-2011, 03:47 AM
I can also hear (but barely detect) my G74SX fan running from 10 feet away. It is the quietest notebook I've owned by far. It does get louder when I stress test it and the fan rpm increases.

I recommend comparing yours to a display model at a retailer to confirm you have a problem. I can't tell from your written description.

SpeedFan displays "CPU Fan" speed. On my system, it idles at 2600-2610 rpm. On a stress test, I believe it increased to 3200+ rpm.

Panda
11-06-2011, 04:26 AM
I downloaded SpeedFan and I get 2100-2600 rpm for CPU, how can I check for GPU?

Panda
11-06-2011, 04:34 AM
Help please, here's a video I just took of the noise.. http://youtu.be/OLoVKgpTrWw

dstrakele
11-06-2011, 05:12 AM
After listening to the video several times, I don't believe you've got a problem. Your fan idle speed is the same as mine. It sounds a little louder than mine in the video, but other noises, such as your fiddling with the spacebar key also sounds relatively loud. Again, I don't believe you've got a problem.

The backlighting is meant to illuminate the letters and icons on the keys. There is only the little running man icon on the spacebar and it is illuminated. You have no problem there either.

Panda
11-06-2011, 05:35 AM
Ok, I now understand the backlit keyboard now, but you still say that my fan is still louder than yours. I was also at idle.

dstrakele
11-06-2011, 05:41 AM
But I believe it sounded louder due to the recording level. I believe if my G74SX sat next to yours, you couldn't tell which was louder. If you had some normal level voice in the video, it would be easier to judge.

Panda
11-06-2011, 05:44 AM
If you take your headphones off, can you hear the fan from an upright position?

BrodyBoy
11-06-2011, 05:50 AM
My GPU fan is constantly at the same sound decibel from startup to gaming. Mine can be faintly heard from my doorframe, which is about 8-10 feet away. Is there any program or drivers that can solve this issue? or is this how loud it should be?
I agree with dstrakele....I don't think there's a problem, based on your description and the video. It seems pretty normal to me. Every laptop has fan noise....certainly loud enough to hear when you're sitting with it. Sometimes loud enough to hear from across the room.

I'm curious why you think it's specifically the GPU fan that you're hearing?

dstrakele
11-06-2011, 06:13 AM
If you take your headphones off, can you hear the fan from an upright position?

I sure can. As I said earlier, if the room is completely silent and I listen closely, I can hear the fan from 10 feet away. If I put my ear down next to the keyboard, as you did with your camera, it sounds even louder. But if I'm working or playing normally on it, I don't notice the fan noise. Not so for other laptops (and desktops) I've owned.

Panda
11-06-2011, 06:27 AM
My other crappy laptop from dell doesn't make as much noise as this.

Yahooligan
11-06-2011, 06:44 AM
My G74SX reports the fan running at 2100rpm at idle. My G74 isn't completely silent, but it is VERY quiet especially for a laptop with hardware of this caliber. My previous desktop, which I though was pretty quiet, was louder than this laptop.

The laptop isn't going to be silent. If your laptop is just as quiet as mine and it bothers you then I don't know what to tell you except maybe your hearing is too sensitive. ;)

Let me put it this way, it's no louder to me than the volume of someone breathing. If your crappy Dell is quieter it's also probably smaller and not an i7 with decent dedicated graphics, not only that but I'd be willing to be your crappy Dell sounds like a jet plane when you do try to game on it. My wife's HP is quiet...until she loads up RIFT. Then it's annoyingly loud from the fan.

Lorca
11-06-2011, 11:12 AM
My G74 is completely silent while idle. When I play a graphic intensive game I get similar noise as the OP. This is the most silent laptop that I've ever owned.

JRd1st
11-06-2011, 11:36 AM
My G74 is completely silent while idle.

I can actually hear mine when idle,but only because I have it to the side with the vents facing me.

dstrakele
11-06-2011, 04:40 PM
I can actually hear mine when idle,but only because I have it to the side with the vents facing me.

So you're reaching over the display to type upside down? You are an amazing person, JR!!!

380mcn
11-07-2011, 11:53 AM
So you're reaching over the display to type upside down? You are an amazing person, JR!!!

lololololololol

JRd1st
11-07-2011, 12:17 PM

Yeah, it's the only way my upside-down display makes sense to me.I wonder if Asus will charge me to trun each key upside-down, too.j/k :D

Drew, you know I use an external monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers and a dock. (You won't believe what the autocorrect on my Android Tablet just tried to sneak in to that sentence! )

380mcn
11-07-2011, 12:59 PM
http://redalertlive.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/wii-aunt-200x300.jpg

JRd1st
11-07-2011, 01:02 PM
I got up to page 13 on that site then had to stop from exhaustion. :D

Panda
11-08-2011, 06:51 AM
drstal, I was playing counterstrike I noticed a noticeable difference in the fan level, I checked SpeedFan and I was going up to 3200 RPM CPU and my GPU was at 58 degress Celcius and my cores were also 50-58.

edit: I recorded the sound using Sound Recorder while playing CounterStrike and if you put your sound to 100 you can hear it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CzF8c-BN5A&feature=youtube_gdata
at the end I started switching between the two.

JRd1st
11-08-2011, 11:40 AM
In Power4Gear you can set switch between Acitve and Passive cooling. Processor Power Management >> System Cooling Policy. You want active, though for max CPU speed, unless quiet is more important, in which case passive will make the CPU will throttle back before the fan speed increases.

Personally, coming from an Intel Core i7 desktop, it amazes me that this notebook can do so much so quietly. :D