PDA

View Full Version : HDMI Input - display input on laptop screen

ShamblerBishop
01-09-2015, 08:47 PM
I'll be in the market for a laptop upgrade probably in about a year, and a very specific/deal-breaking feature that I want (especially if spending this amount of money on one), is for it to have an HDMI input (low-latency too, nearly as if plugged into the laptop screen itself).

Assuming current models don't have this, is it possible for this to be added as a feature, on future in-development models?

ReDFoX2200
01-10-2015, 05:08 AM
I have never seen a laptop with HDMI in. What is the point of having hdmi in? Cant you just buy capture card?

ShamblerBishop
01-10-2015, 02:33 PM
Capture cards have high latency - I have a G73JW, and considered buying a capture card for this purpose, but none exist that are low-latency.

Alienware 17/18 inch laptops, have HDMI input - I would prefer to go with an ROG laptop though; though if I can't get an ROG laptop with HDMI input, I may go with alienware instead.

Edweird
01-10-2015, 03:20 PM
I think it's just Alienware doing that.

I doubt ASUS will make one any time soon butit would a neat feature to have if you catch yourself in a situation with no external display to play whatever. But whatever it is you want to plug into the laptop to use its screen probably does the job no better than the laptop itself will.