PDA

View Full Version : Asus G751 JY/JT - no warranty seal on cooling system?

escha
01-11-2015, 12:05 AM
Hello,
I just want to share the news and am looking for some official feedback on this.
So far I've seen 3 reports that there were no warranty seals on cooling system/radiators in models G751 JY and JT.
Meanwhile I asked a technical support on Asus's website and got this answer that there is a warranty seal on coldplate (or whatever this is that sits on top of CPU and GPU) - probably automatic, basic, true for other models answer.

Can I get some official (sure) answer on this that Asus does not put any warranty seals inside of this laptops?

I ask here because it's a ROG forum and it's a rog notebook, and Asus technicians in my country seam to don't really know or care.

Sorry if it was already answerd - just didn't find specific thread about this and seen nth related in other topics.

Thank you in advance.
(sorry for any gramma mistakes)

hmscott
01-11-2015, 12:51 AM
escha, the stickers don't matter.

The technician is going to know you have pulled apart the laptop - they see tampering evidence all the time - if you replace the goop on the GPU/CPU they are going to notice that. And they can claim any support issue you sent in the laptop for is caused by user tampering.

You may be able to talk Asus into supporting the laptop anyway, saying/proving you didn't damage anything, but any internal tampering is going to open you up to a potential no support situation at worst, and a long conversation / defense before getting support at best.

escha
01-11-2015, 01:20 AM
Thank you hmscott for your swift response.

I'm just confused, asus's technician saying there is a sticker while ppl who pulled apart their units claiming otherwise - no sticker.
So is there / should be a sticker (like inside g750) or there is non?

In most cases when a manufacturer places a sticker and the user rips it off is considered voluntary resignation of warranty.
I got the part about tampering - true for everything we buy.
Anyway no sticker is like "you can do it at your own risk".

On the side: would taking fotos before/after and screenshots of temps before/after be considered of enough proof for not damaging anything in the process of, in this case, repasting ?
Summer is closing in and the temps are so so for i7-4860 config. at 18-20 deg C ambient. Just want to know my options if they reach too high at 28-30 deg C ambient ;)

hmscott
01-11-2015, 04:49 AM
Thank you hmscott for your swift response.
I'm just confused, asus's technician saying there is a sticker while ppl who pulled apart their units claiming otherwise - no sticker.
So is there / should be a sticker (like inside g750) or there is non?
In most cases when a manufacturer places a sticker and the user rips it off is considered voluntary resignation of warranty.
I got the part about tampering - true for everything we buy.
Anyway no sticker is like "you can do it at your own risk".
On the side: would taking fotos before/after and screenshots of temps before/after be considered of enough proof for not damaging anything in the process of, in this case, re-pasting ?
Summer is closing in and the temps are so so for i7-4860 config. at 18-20 deg C ambient. Just want to know my options if they reach too high at 28-30 deg C ambient ;)

escha, the support people likely are still running on the info from the G750 and other Asus laptops, that there is a sticker.

But then again, maybe there is a sticker and noone noticed the transparent strand of carbon nano thin filament "sticker" placed gingerly over one of the plate sides? :)

If the temps are bad enough to require re-pasting, then it is bad enough to get RMA'd to Asus and let them earn their money; you already paid for support. The summer is still soon enough to be covered by warranty.

There are lots of posts here with result temperatures running benchmarks, stress tests, and games, look around and you will find plenty of info to compare your results to.

Post your results into the threads you find with others results.

Remember, if you aren't Thermal Throttling, you aren't too hot :)

d0r1n
01-11-2015, 06:05 PM
scott i opened mine for inserting the ddr3 in the second slot,it is very easy to open and i didn't see any sticker.
the upgrading of ram on the motherboard under the keyboard is allowed?

escha
01-12-2015, 12:01 AM
I asked asus support in Poland and it is alowed although they don't recommend doing it on your own (obviously), so it does't void your warranty.

d0r1n
01-12-2015, 05:12 AM
tnx excha...it is not recomended but for user upgrade is very easy to open.