PDA

View Full Version : Alienware Graphic Amplifier

beatc
01-12-2015, 12:16 AM
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/hands-alienware-graphics-amplifier/

If this thing arrives at my local shops, i would probably buy it and sell my JZ.

RAM-disk
01-12-2015, 12:34 AM
You and me both, been eying the 15" model for a while.

beatc
01-12-2015, 12:56 AM
I think i'll be okay with the cheapest one, the aw13. The only thing that worries me is the transition from a 17 to a smaller 13 inch. Nevertheless, I still can enjoy 4k gaming experiences with the amplifier. Too bad Asus didn't implement this kind of thing.

RAM-disk
01-12-2015, 01:40 AM
ASUS needs a wake up call, bad engineering with their last couple models. Terrible quality control, yeah not good.

Antronman
01-12-2015, 01:51 AM
With the cost of the amplifier itself, there is no reason to buy this laptop over a mini tower if space is a concern.

And considering the size of the amplifier, it seems space and transportability is no concern.

So buy a tower and you'll get better everything.

code9523
01-12-2015, 09:17 AM
The quality of asus laptop's after g74 model is horrible! I'm a fan of rog but bsods and ****ty drivers are nonsense for laptop price like 1500 - 2500 usd for such money everything should work good and drivers and other stuff should be updated on the official support page! They didn't update anything for year! Shame on you ASUS!!! If I bough your laptop you shouldn't forget to support it! This amplifier is compleat nonsense! How to play on 13inch screen??? Guys I hade a zenbook ux31 with 13.3 screen and playing on it was real pain! 13.3 inch is good only for size and mobility not for everyday working and gaming! Why not to buy a small form factor pc like rog g8 or g20 and play on bigger screen or on tv if you are ready for box standing near you? When you purchase it you will also purchase a monitor and your setup will become a desktop))) This amplifier will be good for 17 - 18 dell's alienware not for 13 - 14! I think if you need power you should buy a desktop but if you need mobility you need laptop!
P.S. I think asus should watch for lenovo like they managed their ultrabays gpu batteries hdd's and drives! I had before a y510 and second gpu running in sli was nice and it could be replaced with drive or hdd without any disassembling. This could save the laptop mobility and give extra power and upgradebility for costumer! Or sell an upgrade kit's like msi!

beatc
01-12-2015, 12:42 PM
I think if you need power you should buy a desktop but if you need mobility you need laptop!

Why not both? With the small light aw13, i can game whenever and wherever i want. If i need extra graphic boost, i'll just simply hook it up with the amplifier. It's easy.

code9523
01-12-2015, 01:37 PM
Why not both? With the small light aw13, i can game whenever and wherever i want. If i need extra graphic boost, i'll just simply hook it up with the amplifier. It's easy.

Ok! Try to play on 13" inch screen))) Your eyes will come out of your head and will beg you to stop))) You will not need any power))) You will not carry this box with you only plug it when you at home and play games on tiny 13" screen! Why not play on normal screen at home? It's needed to be plugged to the wall so no way to use it outdoors! It's not cheap only the amplifier costs 300 usd and also you should add a graphic card in it and its absolutely useless without an alienware laptop! So the best way to spend some cash on gaming is to buy a more powerful laptop or a small form factor pc that could be used alone and no need to be plugged to the laptop. There ware a lot of projects with external gpu's for laptops but they are more for enthusiast's builds than for normal use. There are also some cheap e-gpu bays that are connecting by the thunderbolt port and are compatible with many laptops not for only alienware. I was thinking about such build and its cost and I understand that it's absolutely useless and I will not get a power I want for money I spend on it. Now i'm thinking about g20 and I think it will be better like separate system then a cable plugged nonsense. But if you feel that you rely need that stuff go ahead it's up to you!

beatc
01-12-2015, 02:08 PM
I think you don't know how the amplifier works. You'll need an external monitor for the amplifier to display the output, not on the the laptop.

code9523
01-12-2015, 03:07 PM
I know how works!!! It works like all other egpu setups! Read here http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/ or even with g750 http://lab501.net/egpu-connecting-external-video-card-notebook-diy-implementation/all/1/
So for what do you need it?! You can buy a same size pc and have at least 2 computers near you then 1 laptop 1 display 1 useless box. With medium gpu it will cost about 800 - 1000 usd and still will need an ALIENWARE laptop plugged to! This is almost the cost of medium gaming pc that could run without any laptops plugged in and will give you upgradeability and more power per dollar spend on it! Trust me I know what is egpu and dell is not a first one who made it there are a lot of cheaper setups and more compatible like I said before connected by thunderbolt or mpcie slot which all laptops have! I will tell you once again if you need this box and alienware go ahead! But better to think twice about purchasing such device!

code9523
01-12-2015, 03:11 PM
Also this is the same http://www.anandtech.com/show/7987/running-an-nvidia-gtx-780-ti-over-thunderbolt-2

Wulff
01-12-2015, 06:52 PM
nice to see these things finally start appearing! more brands will follow im sure of that. would solve a lot of problems :)

Antronman
01-13-2015, 03:39 AM
I think you don't know how the amplifier works. You'll need an external monitor for the amplifier to display the output, not on the the laptop.

Why get a gaming laptop if you're not always on the move?

If you go to LAN parties, a mini-tower with a monitor is just barely more difficult to carry around. It's a lot more power than a gaming laptop, and cheaper than that ridiculously overpriced amplifier.

If you just play at home, then don't even get a mini-tower. Just get a nice, big PC.

I mean, that Alienware "amplifier" is ridiculously overpriced, and the laptop will cost a little bit more than any other gaming laptop would, except maybe Falcon Northwest. Surely if you can afford this, and an external monitor that would justify buying this amplifier, you can afford both a good gaming desktop and a gaming laptop?