PDA

View Full Version : G74sx Wont boot after Bios Upate (203 bios)

olounda
11-06-2011, 05:33 PM
So I read about the new bios that fixes the 10 on the side by toggleing (is that a word?) the numlock. The only issue now, is when i used the bios updating tool in windows (i know, some haters are gonna hate, i have a flame suit on), it erased, wrote, and verified it all great. I got the bios (203 bios) strait from the asus driver download page for my laptop, so I know its legit. I have never had trouble updating a bios in windows before on any of my previous laptops/desktops, until now.

After It told me to exit, it rebooted (like it said it would), and now my keyboard backlight comes on, and my capslock and numlock key in the top left corner light show, but it wont even post. I have tried swapping ram modules, but have not tried pulling hard drives, as my thought is that its a posting issue, not a booting issue.

Suggestions?

dstrakele
11-06-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm afraid something went awry with your BIOS update, olounda. Unfortunately, this means you need to RMA your system to get the fireware rewritten using a special tool. Bad BIOS flash is covered under warranty. If you were to try this again in the future, I recommend consulting http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/174395-bios-update-guide-asus-notebooks.html.

To increase your chances of BIOS Flashing success, use the EasyFlash utility in the ASUS BIOS already on your laptop (if available) and save the new BIOS file to a flash drive that you've formatted to FAT32.

Be aware that even these best efforts can result in a 'brick', so you always want to be certain a BIOS flash will resolve an issue you currently experience. In this particular case, you did desire to use the true Numpad keys, so your flash attempt was warranted.

olounda
11-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Do I need to RMA it or can i just take it to an ASUS authorized warranty repair close by? (i dont have the time to sit and wait for 2 weeks...)

dstrakele
11-06-2011, 05:54 PM
As I understand it from a past answer by Chastity@ASUS, some authorized warranty repair shops will accept walk-ins, but you should call first. The key concern is whether they have the special tool to rewrite the firmware on the chip.

olounda
11-06-2011, 07:06 PM
BE AWARE! ASUS SAYS THAT IF YOU UPDATE YOUR BIOS IT WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY!!!! Chastity@asus, can you help with this?

BrodyBoy
11-06-2011, 08:41 PM
No, that's not true. Plenty of owners have sent in their bricked-BIOS laptops and gotten it repaired under warranty. It's also a very quick turnaround, so it shouldn't take too long to get it up and running again.

olounda
11-06-2011, 09:06 PM
well it took a supervisor to help set thing strait. Apparently if you dont consult with asus before you do a bios update, it voids your warranty, but due to lack of communication on official website, and the neat asus techs here that say to do such updates, the confusion was cleared and i'll be getting it fixed under warranty. I just hope the turn around process doesn't take YEARS. :)

BrodyBoy
11-06-2011, 09:16 PM
I just hope the turn around process doesn't take YEARS. :)
It won't. I've known of a few people who had to get this repair, and they all had same day turnaround....so you're just talking about shipping time, if necessary. It'll be quick....and now you'll always know not to use the WinFlash thing again!

As I said, lots of people (unfortunately) have had to get this fix, and Asus doesn't make an issue of it. (I've never heard of ANYBODY who consults Asus before doing a BIOS update!!)

JRd1st
11-06-2011, 10:04 PM
BE AWARE! ASUS SAYS THAT IF YOU UPDATE YOUR BIOS IT WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY!!!! Chastity@asus, can you help with this?

Whaaaaa....!?!? That's a load of crap. Whomever told you that is misinformed. Asus puts a BIOS on their site so you can do what with it? They put Winflash on their site for what reason? And EasyFlash is in the BIOS because it's not allowed to be used?

If a Supervisor at Asus really said that they should be busted down to mail-boy or rice cooker or something low. lol

dstrakele
11-07-2011, 02:38 AM

That's why WinFlash is pre-installed on your laptop and ASUS Live Update delivers the BIOS update without instructions :bangs head repeatedly on Sentelic touchpad:

JRd1st
11-07-2011, 02:56 AM
I wonder if everyone in Taiwan is so smart that no one needs instructions? I swear, Asus has communication issues when it comes to updates and such.