PDA

View Full Version : G53SX -bloatware

magnuzen
11-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Hi
I just bought a G53sx - s1218v.

I want to remove all the bloatware but i'm unsure about what I need and not!
I also want to remove alot of the programs that is running in the background, but what programs do I need?

BrodyBoy
11-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Basically, you don't need ANY of the Asus add-on programs.....not a one.

The only program with an Asus label that you need is actually a driver....it's called the ATK Package. Aside from that, everything else is optional, and almost all of it simply replicates features and functions that Windows can do itself (power management, turning wireless cards on/off, etc). Because it's redundant, and because it's just third-party utilities that Asus throws in willy-nilly, I don't install any of it.

One exception would be whatever BD/DVD player that came with your laptop. Especially if you have a BD drive, Windows doesn't have that functionality itself, so you do need third-party software.

magnuzen
11-06-2011, 08:36 PM
okok, Is anything needed to use my backlit keyboard? Im having problems getting the keyboard to stay lit!

BrodyBoy
11-06-2011, 08:54 PM
The ATK package is what controls all the specialized keyboard functions. That's why you need it.

dstrakele
11-07-2011, 02:45 AM
okok, Is anything needed to use my backlit keyboard? Im having problems getting the keyboard to stay lit!

Make sure you're logged on - the keyboard backlight is disabled until you are - then hit Fn-F4 to turn the backlight on and increase brightness. If that fails, uninstall your current ATK Package in Control Panel-Uninstall a program - REBOOT - and reinstall ATK Package 1.00.0014.

magnuzen
11-07-2011, 10:00 PM
I couldn't find the version you are talking about. I only find Version V1.0.0010 - is this usable?

BrodyBoy
11-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Try uninstalling that one and then installing the latest version, 1.00.0014.

magnuzen
11-07-2011, 10:23 PM
I cant find version 1.00.0014 on the support site for asus g53sx

Can i use Version V1.0.0010 ?

magnuzen
11-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Thank's guys! Tryed the other version and it worked:)

magnuzen
11-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Do you guys have any other tips to make my computer faster?:)

Brian@ASUS
11-08-2011, 05:50 PM
you want to keep power 4 gear as it controls your power managment system

JRd1st
11-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Yes, P4G is one of the few I don't consider to be "bloat". :D

BrodyBoy
11-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Do you guys have any other tips to make my computer faster?:)
Eliminating the bloat IS what makes it faster! Even though I've done it many times now, I'm still continually impressed with how much more nimble and stable a clean Windows installation runs. On my two Asus laptops, I don't use a single Asus (or Asus-provided) add-on utility.

Other things I look to eliminate are auto-updaters. Seems like a lot of programs have those these days, constantly running in the background to check for software updates, or reminding you to do it, or whatever. Adobe, iTunes, HP printer drivers are examples of programs whose defaults are very aggressive, checking all the time for updates.

Sadozai
11-09-2011, 09:37 AM
Yeah there's nothing like the improvement in the speed and performance of your system with a fresh clean windows installation. And if you really want to make a difference, in terms of boot up time and loading of certain softwares and applications, just throw in an SSD as the boot drive using the second drive bay. Keep installation and softwares minimalistic, background applications and updates do hurt performance. Only the ATK package is indispensable if you want backlit and other ROG specific keys and Function key features. Rest is all glitter that is not required. Although power for gear is something you may appreciate as it is the easiest way to switch between power profiles/plans.

380mcn
11-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Eliminating the bloat IS what makes it faster! Even though I've done it many times now, I'm still continually impressed with how much more nimble and stable a clean Windows installation runs. On my two Asus laptops, I don't use a single Asus (or Asus-provided) add-on utility.

Other things I look to eliminate are auto-updaters. Seems like a lot of programs have those these days, constantly running in the background to check for software updates, or reminding you to do it, or whatever. Adobe, iTunes, HP printer drivers are examples of programs whose defaults are very aggressive, checking all the time for updates.

you're absolutelly right: nowadays a game goes out on nov11, 2 days later it has a patch, later it has a service pack.. i recall Worms Realoaded.. i think they are on their 18th update! you read it right, 18 updates/patchs..

the only NEEDED program is the ATK which i hate! having a windows software controlling such a basic thing like keyboard light is stupid!
if i wanted to use a linux distro (which i never used in my life) i think the lights would always stay off! (correct me if i'm wrong!) it's a simple 3 stage backlight ! how hard would it be to be a BIOS thing?? if i can control de screen brightness without drivers, why should i have to install a win program (eating cpu and ram) to control some lights?

if it was an alienware of msi thing (where you can have several colors on the keyboard) i would understand but in this case it doesn't make sense.
i would have bought an alienware m17x r3 if i could but they don't sell them here in portugal.

i rest my case.

artcgix
12-06-2011, 08:01 AM
I also wanted to do this, Could I use RevoUninstaller? Or what is the best way to do this guys?

BrodyBoy
12-06-2011, 08:09 AM
Just uninstalling will help a lot. If you want to get it truly cleaned up, you would do a clean Windows installation and never install all that bloatware to begin with.

But again, uninstalling goes a long way.

JRd1st
12-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Just uninstalling will help a lot. If you want to get it truly cleaned up, you would do a clean Windows installation and never install all that bloatware to begin with.

But again, uninstalling goes a long way.
You could use TotalUninstaller to do a better uninstall, too. :D

artcgix
12-22-2011, 07:29 AM
found this guide that briefly explains almost every single one of the programs that you might have..
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/380681-asus-utility-bloatware-guide.html

BrodyBoy
12-22-2011, 07:36 AM
found this guide that briefly explains almost every single one of the programs that you might have..
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/380681-asus-utility-bloatware-guide.html
That thread gets referenced a lot around here. But I don't think the main post has been kept up-to-date very well, as it sometimes refers to old versions and isn't all-inclusive anymore.

Bottom line, follow a couple simple rules when it comes to all the add-on "utilities": (1) be VERY wary of all Asus software, and (2) if you don't know what it is, chances are you don't need it.

Oh, and (3)....nothing beats a clean installation for stable, reliable operation.

chrsplmr
12-22-2011, 03:25 PM
I second or third or whatever that.....
fresh and clean..down and dirty.... a few tweaks ..
windows has some bloat of its own....they think they are
bells and whistles....hahahhaa......

blackViper is a gem for services also.... google him if you have never seen it.c.

artcgix
12-22-2011, 06:34 PM
(3)....nothing beats a clean installation for stable, reliable operation.
how do you do a clean installation if ASUS didn't give me a copy of windows on a cd?

BrodyBoy
12-22-2011, 06:40 PM
how do you do a clean installation if ASUS didn't give me a copy of windows on a cd?
That's discussed a lot around here, so you can find lots of info on it. But basically, you download an Windows installer ISO and burn a disc or make a USB installer. After installing Windows, you install the essential drivers for your computer. Of course, there's more detail to it than that, but that's the gist.

The nice thing about a clean install is that all the junk is never on it to begin with. "Uninstall" routines seldom remove all the software and registry entries for a program, so junk really does accumulate over time.

If you've never done anything like that it and you're wary, there's a lot of guidance available to help you out.

artcgix
12-22-2011, 06:45 PM
thanks for your quick reply.. will still be a legitimate and original copy by downloading a Windows installer ISO?

BrodyBoy
12-22-2011, 06:56 PM
thanks for your quick reply.. will still be a legitimate and original copy by downloading a Windows installer ISO?
Yes. The installers are the builds released by Microsoft. And as long as you install the same edition of Windows that you currently have (Home Premium), you can re-use your OEM Product Key to activate it. It's all legal so long as you don't try to upgrade to a different edition, or move your installation to a different computer.

kb0sdq
12-22-2011, 07:05 PM
So as most folks advocate the removal of the bloatware, I can understand that cause I do that to my android phone root and remove bloatware.
Anyhow if I am to remove the Asus bloatware is facial recognition part of asus? I like not having to type in code evertime I start up
Doug

BrodyBoy
12-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Anyhow if I am to remove the Asus bloatware is facial recognition part of asus? I like not having to type in code evertime I start up
Doug
You're the first person I've heard of who uses that! :) You can always re-install any Asus programs or utilities that you like after a clean install. (That one is called "Smart Logon," BTW.)

kb0sdq
12-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Ok +1 Brodyboy,
Yea could not think of the name of it brain fart lol. Yea and funny thing is it is just me and my wife here now so not like any undesirables will look at my puter. heh it is fun to make faces at puter and have it let me in
Thanks as always for the information. Have a merry Christmas,
Doug

artcgix
12-25-2011, 04:12 AM
Yes. The installers are the builds released by Microsoft. Hi again, I downloaded and burned my ISO file from here (http://www.mydigitallife.info/windows-7-iso-x86-and-x64-official-direct-download-links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/) but when I set my bios to be bootable from dvd and when I restart it I get the following error: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot dvice and a key" any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

BrodyBoy
12-25-2011, 06:41 AM
Hi again, I downloaded and burned my ISO file from here (http://www.mydigitallife.info/windows-7-iso-x86-and-x64-official-direct-download-links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/) but when I set my bios to be bootable from dvd and when I restart it I get the following error: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot dvice and a key" any ideas of what I am doing wrong?
Did you burn the ISO to DVD with the WIndows utility, or another program? It sounds like it may not have burned a proper bootable DVD.

Also, it's not necessary to alter the Boot Priorities in the BIOS. Go ahead and reset all those back to what they were (so you don't need to fix it later). Then, with the Installer in the CD drive, power up and press ESC right away to get the boot menu...select your ODD and proceed. (This is essentially the same as using the Boot Override option in the "Save & Exit" tab in the BIOS.)

artcgix
12-25-2011, 09:10 AM
This is so weird, I used Nero 10 Express and I burned it just like I downloaded, I even extract the files, made a new ISO, also downloaded the file one more time and nothing happens! I tried hitting the ESC key at botting time and it seems that it won't even detect the DVD, it tells me to select the boot device and gives me only two options:
PO: Hitachi
P2: MAT****ABO-MLT
I don't know what to do now!! :S

Please help!!

JRd1st
12-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Go into your BIOS and make your DVD the first priority to boot from. You can leave it that way after you have everything set up.

If that still doesn't work then you still don't have a proper boot dvd, as Brody says. Just burn the ISO as-is. Its already bootable, so you don't need to set any options. I would assume Nero can handle that. But, IMHO Nero is overkill. I use UltraISO - simple, small footprint, and reliable.

artcgix
12-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Just burn the ISO as-is. Its already bootable, so you don't need to set any options. I would assume Nero can handle that. But, IMHO Nero is overkill. I use UltraISO - simple, small footprint, and reliable. Okay, so I burned it with UltraISO and left it untouched!! just as I downloaded it and I still get the same error when setting DVD as my top priority!! :( I think the problem is on the source file which I downloaded from here (http://www.mydigitallife.info/windows-7-iso-x86-and-x64-official-direct-download-links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/), Do you or any one else have any reliable sources? If the file is fine, then does that mean that the problem is with my computer hardware?

BrodyBoy
12-26-2011, 07:09 AM
If the file is fine, then does that mean that the problem is with my computer hardware?
Does the optical drive always appear in the BIOS? When you say it doesn't work, do you mean that you always get that message suggesting your disk isn't a bootable device? (I.e., it's not that the CD device itself just isn't there....)

artcgix
12-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Problem solved!!!! As expected I had the wrong source file, if any one else is having this problem make sure you download X17-24209.iso, thank you all for your support and help, I am running on a clean windows intall and I already updated its drivers, except for SM Bus Controller which I couldn't find!! :S

Also, earlier on this thread someone mention a utility called "Smart Logon" Is that exclusively for G53sx - s1218v? Because I am on a G53SX-XT1, and that wasn't on my CD that came with asus..

BrodyBoy
12-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Problem solved!!!! As expected I had the wrong source file, if any one else is having this problem make sure you download X17-24209.iso, thank you all for your support and help, I am running on a clean windows intall and I already updated its drivers, except for SM Bus Controller which I couldn't find!! :S

Also, earlier on this thread someone mention a utility called "Smart Logon" Is that exclusively for G53sx - s1218v? Because I am on a G53SX-XT1, and that wasn't on my CD that came with asus..
SM Bus Controller? Where are you seeing that?

Smart Logon is an Asus program (which should be cause for caution when if you're considering installing it). It's a facial recognition program that, like a fingerprint reader, can substitute for typing in a password to logon. You could install it on any Asus laptop with a webcam.

artcgix
12-26-2011, 08:14 PM
SM Bus Controller? Where are you seeing that?

Here is a screenshot:

BrodyBoy
12-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Have you installed the card reader? I suspect that unknown device is a peripheral like the card reader, webcam, or an unrecognized BT device.

I've also sometime seen an unknown device listed like that until the Intel MEI is installed.....but I don't think I've seen that with the newer chipsets. You've installed the latest Intel chipset driver?

dstrakele
12-27-2011, 03:39 AM
This link confirms Brody's recommendation to install the latest Chipset drivers: http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-013541.htm

artcgix
01-04-2012, 04:38 AM
This link confirms Brody's recommendation to install the latest Chipset drivers: http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-013541.htm

that link did the trick! thank you so much to all of you!! :)