PDA

View Full Version : Preserving Battery Life/CARE - Let's hear your ideas!

BringRuck
01-13-2015, 05:16 PM
Hello everyone, we all know how horrid these gaming laptops are as far as battery life so let's hear what all you have done to aide in the situation. If you are at all like me then you use your laptop daily, intensively, and for long periods of time. I personally use my laptop for video/sound editing, and 3D design; often with clients too. The worst is doing an HOUR worth of work with full charge and already having to plug it in with the big, bulky charger.

What happens in two years when the batteries have degraded? We can't replace them ourselves, nor do they sell replacements. We are stuck with a paper weight that must be plugged in at all times. It sure would make me feel better just knowing we can buy one.

I would really appreciate if Asus would sell us battery replacements but hey, they make money when we send them in...

Here are the steps I have taken to care for my battery:

Power Saving Mode
Never leave plugged in at 100%
Let battery reach 10% before charging
Set windows for performance mode

I'd really like to hear how you guys feel, what you do to care for your battery?

Thanks!

sk3tch
01-13-2015, 11:03 PM
I'm not sure if your second bullet point is a good idea. When plugged in and at 100% - it's not using the battery at all. It just uses AC power. If you're pulling the plug right when it hits 100% - then you're using battery cycles, of which there are typically only a finite amount.

IMO - leave it plugged in when it needs to - i.e. if you're with a client for an hour or gaming for two...and take it to go and unplugged when it needs to. The batteries these days are pretty "smart" inherently so you don't have to do as much grooming as the NimH days.

tjbc
01-14-2015, 01:16 AM
I'm not sure if your second bullet point is a good idea. When plugged in and at 100% - it's not using the battery at all. It just uses AC power. If you're pulling the plug right when it hits 100% - then you're using battery cycles, of which there are typically only a finite amount.

IMO - leave it plugged in when it needs to - i.e. if you're with a client for an hour or gaming for two...and take it to go and unplugged when it needs to. The batteries these days are pretty "smart" inherently so you don't have to do as much grooming as the NimH days.

Yeah that was my first thought too, that the absolute best way to preserve the battery is simply to keep the laptop plugged in 100% of the time. Of course I could be mistaken, not an expert, but my Gateway FX series has lasted over 6 years on it's initial battery, and I rarely unplug it.

NitroX
01-14-2015, 12:33 PM
Hmm, I'm using quite the opposite of what you are telling us BringRuck:

1) For a longer battery run I only use TuneUp Utilities Economy mode, which automatically reduces performance of the CPU to 50% max and closes some windows features that I don't really care about (Except for the network communication services which doesn't allow to use the Air Plane hotkey anymore). I usually get around 3.5 - 4 hours of office work (Excel, AutoCAD, Browsing) with brightness 60% and backlit on. The performance drop of the CPU doesn't really bother me . It feels a little bit when I open AutoCAD but afterwards I don't even notice that it is running at 50%.

2) I ALWAYS let it plugged in when I don't really need the portability. If you pay attention you will see that leaving it plugged in actually cuts off the battery charging. This happens until the battery goes under 95%, then it starts charging again. The battery degrades proportionally with the number of cycles (a cycle meaning a drop from 100% to 5%) so keeping it plugged in is the best way to preserve it's life. As the fellows above already stated.

3) I never let the battery go so low. I usually start charging it when it reaches 20%. If I really don't find a way to plug the laptop and I need to work on it, then ofc I will let it try until I finish my work.

4) I make a full cycle once in a while. Let's say that at 3 weeks I unplug the laptop and discharge it continuously until the battery goes to 10% or lower, then I charge it to 100% continuously. This is called battery calibration and it helps the monitor programs to give you a more accurate information about the batteries wear level.

To be honest I'm quite happy with the built in battery because I usually use my laptop plugged in so it doesn't bother me. On the older G75VW I always had to remove the battery in order to preserve it and add it when I needed to go with the laptop to college (just to avoid accidental power offs.... and believe me, I experienced 3 sudden powers offs in a single day because of the stupidity of a teacher) or when I had to calibrate it.