PDA

View Full Version : Will G750JZ run The Witcher 3?

ErPatazza
01-14-2015, 04:44 PM
As in the title, in your opinion can that notebook run The Witcher 3 and wich setting we're going to use?
Mine is G750JZ-T4129H with 880m 8GB and i7-4710 HQ 2.5 Ghz.
On certain sites, they say that I will have problems and must run the game with medium settings... I hope they're wrong!

raoul duke
01-14-2015, 06:22 PM
On certain sites, they say that I will have problems and must run the game with medium settings... I hope they're wrong!
If that happens I'm going to sell my G750JM immediately and will say goodbye to PC gaming forever. It ain't worth it..

hmscott
01-14-2015, 06:42 PM
Guys, those "tools" for determining whether a game will run on your PC or not, aren't tuned for mobile CPU/GPU info. Don't waste your time with them.

Go to the game developer site and look at the recommended and optimal suggested configurations and do the math yourself.

All the G750/G751's have essentially the same CPU's - more than adequate for gaming, and the GPU's are able to play most games at 1080p - you may need to disable/reduce Physx options, or reduce post-processing, but other than that you can run the games with no or a little de-tuning.

It doesn't hurt to check out youtube.com and see what others have set for graphics options for the game.

GottiBoi55
01-14-2015, 08:48 PM
As in the title, in your opinion can that notebook run The Witcher 3 and wich setting we're going to use?

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PC System Requirements are here! (http://thewitcher.com/news/view/927)

beatc
01-14-2015, 11:28 PM
The JZ should be able to handle it on high-med settings.

hmscott
01-14-2015, 11:53 PM

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PC System Requirements are here! (http://thewitcher.com/news/view/927)

GottiBoi55, thanks, minimum requirement met with a 780m or 880m :)

780m vs 660
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-780M-vs-GeForce-GTX-660

880m vs 660
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-880M-vs-GeForce-GTX-660

Recommended, not so much...

780m vs 770
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-780M-vs-GeForce-GTX-770

880m vs 770
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-880M-vs-GeForce-GTX-770

Looks like a 970m doesn't make it either...

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-970M-vs-GeForce-GTX-770

But, a 980m makes the grade for recommended :)

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-980M-vs-GeForce-GTX-770

Get ready to turn down the eye candy unless you have a 980m!

ErPatazza
01-24-2015, 08:23 PM
this is a bad delusion... I've spent over 1800€ for this notebook, and not for play games at medium settings...

hmscott
01-24-2015, 11:57 PM
this is a bad delusion... I've spent over 1800€ for this notebook, and not for play games at medium settings...

ErPatazza, your JZ is a generation behind now, in fact behind the latest generation that is the first one to really have a significant GPU performance improvement. Between the 780m and 880m there was no difference at the same frequencies for GPU/memory - since it was exactly the same GPU.

The new 980m is far ahead of the 780m/880m, the 970m is about the same as the 780m/880m. So for now the best GPU to run GPU demanding games is the 980m, not the 880m/780m.

Games that are GPU demanding are also run on desktops, and those GPU's are also ahead of all the mobile GPU's.

So there will likely always be games that need to be run on lower than Ultimate settings on mobile GPU's as compared to desktop GPU's. This isn't a bad thing, it is just a reality to consider when configuring the Video settings in a game.

Why don't you wait till you have the game to complain, it might run just fine :)

beatc
01-25-2015, 05:17 AM
Just do like this. You wait until some guys do some gameplays with g750jz on youtube. If the game runs well, then buy the game. If not just pirate it :)

Wr3ckloose
01-28-2015, 04:37 AM
ive ran every console port to date on mine and get 60 fps or more. i use the nvidia experience program to get optimized settings and forget about it.
ive noticed some of the settings are not on ultra and ive been tempted to change them to see what happens because 60+ fps means nvidia made the settings to low. if you call changing ultra to high, too low. trust me my friend, its gonna be till at least the end of this console life-cycle before this laptop becomes obsolete. or maybe if pc developers get off their a s s and make some real games for the pc!

Buttfacesalsa
05-18-2015, 11:14 PM
Oh my sweet innocent summerchild...of course our awesome G750JZ laptops will demolish Witcher 3 as it has with everything else...I mean, a laptop that can play Battlefield 4 on ultra, everything on max with Vsync and still have 60fps, turn off Vsync and you'll have 85-100fps (and yes, tear-galore). But yes, at it has been said further down here, we will probably have to turn down some stuff, but if we choose wisely and pick away the things that you really don't notice (shush all you pc masterrace people who think you can notice everything) we will still have a game that runs smooth and beautiful (In some cases it's mostly my choice to have 60+ fps instead of some shader-fluff I don't really notice). I have Witcher 2, and yes that is a game from...uhm...2011? But it's still a pretty steep challenge, and if I turn everything on there to max, even supersampling that brings a titan to it's weeping knees (in 4K or the likes, again shush), I still get 30fps with some dips...but as some other people also said, all these check my gear, etc. sites are not really optimized for gaming laptops, and especially not the ROG series from Asus as I have found out...with the turbo boost up to 3,4Ghz on the CPU and the built in automatic overclock for the GPU :3

kobby2k6
05-19-2015, 02:59 AM
I just played 2 hours of the game so far and I'm averaging 30FPS + with medium settings on my Asus G750JM

beatc
05-19-2015, 03:47 AM
Just tested witcher 3 on my JZ. The game has several graphic options grouped into two categories. First one handles the post processing effect while the other handles the in-game graphics. I got 60+ fps on Low setting. On Med setting, I got 40-50 fps but still playable. Unfortunately, the game started to lag on High setting. Playable? Well, if you can handle 30 fps then yes. Then there is the Ultra setting. Totally unplayable, max fps i got was 20, its a gpu killer.

Buttfacesalsa
05-19-2015, 08:53 AM
Just tested witcher 3 on my JZ. The game has several graphic options grouped into two categories. First one handles the post processing effect while the other handles the in-game graphics. I got 60+ fps on Low setting. On Med setting, I got 40-50 fps but still playable. Unfortunately, the game started to lag on High setting. Playable? Well, if you can handle 30 fps then yes. Then there is the Ultra setting. Totally unplayable, max fps i got was 20, its a gpu killer.

Hmmm, but did you tinker with some settings outside of the "low" - "medium" etc. Settings? Think you could get it to run better if you turn down some of the really big killers and still have high or ultra textures?

beatc
05-19-2015, 09:41 AM
Hmmm, but did you tinker with some settings outside of the "low" - "medium" etc. Settings? Think you could get it to run better if you turn down some of the really big killers and still have high or ultra textures?

Probably, I tried to set the resolution to 900p on Ultra once and I noticed the fps increased slightly. Forgot to mention that i was using the old graphic driver so maybe it affected the performance. Nonetheless, I've downloaded the newest one and did a clean install with it. Hopefully, I can get extra fps boost for all the settings.

Buttfacesalsa
05-19-2015, 09:46 AM
Hmmm...maybe, but I was thinking more in a sort of turn down antialiasing, turn bloom off/down, just basically turning down some of the biggest GPU killers and keep the texture quality etc. And seeing what you got then...

beatc
05-19-2015, 10:15 AM
Ok right now i'm commenting while the game runs on background. No change noticed after a clean install of latest driver. But I did found out that the game uses more power from GPU than CPU. So, in other words, if you have a crappy GPU then you'll get the same crappy performance even if you have good CPU

Buttfacesalsa
05-19-2015, 09:18 PM
allright allright, purchased the game now, I'll let it download over night and then look at the graphics and what sort of customisation is best tomorrow

Hucker42
05-20-2015, 07:50 AM
Played a good three hours on my 750JS with a mixture of Medium and High, performance was smooth around 50fps, looked stunning. V.Happy.

Buttfacesalsa
05-20-2015, 11:02 AM
So, after spending about an 1,5 hour ingame, messing around with the settings I ended up with a good mix of high and medium settings with a lot of effects on actually...turned off the usual suspects like bloom, blurring (personal preference that one) but kept AA on...High level of detail and medium water. and foliage detail....I average on about 45-50 fps when just riding through the countryside and drop down to 40-30 in towns because of the extra details etc. So for anyone stumbling upon this thread or who's still wondering, just buy it...the JZ can run it completely fine and smooth and even on the Geforce recommended settings to get 60 fps the game looks damn good, now lets kill some beats

AAAND BTW....just don't bother with Nvidias hair (something), my laptop allmost **** itself when I turned it on with the settings giving me about 45-50 fps...it dropped to 20-21, only thing I noticed was more fluffy hair, totally worth it...this laptop still continues to amaze me though, as this game makes a Titan X **** itself on ultra barely pushing 62 fps on average :3

beatc
05-20-2015, 11:55 AM
Good to know you guys enjoyed the game. Just a suggestion, try limit the fps to 30 with your current settings. I tried and the game looks great. Smooth and constant 30. It's a suitable frame rate for a game like this. I think this is what Ubi**** was trying to achieve with its Ac Unity but failed.

MaxCioco
05-21-2015, 12:22 PM
My 750js has a 860m (maxwell)
. Do you think I need to OC it to run medium ~40fps or just let it be.
At what temps do your CPU/GPU's run when playing the game?

Hasson82
05-22-2015, 11:44 PM
Hey, been playing the new witcher game on a g750jx gtx 770m, 8gb ram etc etc.

The game is almost unplayable, i have abandoned this laptop and i'm going to buy a PS4 :)

Only joking, it plays well, still quite impressed with the overall graphics quality on all new titles and witnessing some of the new architecture
first hand on my machine. These next generation games are definately here and currently these g750 models appear to be handling most of them
at a reasonable resolution and frame rate. I have most graphic settings turned up full on the witcher(wild hunt), turned off some post processing and
overclocked slightly so extra smoothness and quite happy with the results.

I'm confident my g750jx(770m) is going to play demanding new games for a while yet. I would also like to add that I still play Titanfall and have the
graphics quality set to ultra, a little tweaking and it plays perfectly, very smooth indeed.

Thanks

Enclaw_cz
05-23-2015, 10:16 AM
Hey guys, I own G750JS(870m) and I am currently playing Witcher 3 (gog version) with latest patch 1.03. The game is great, for me already Game of the Year, but I am really disappointed about optimization.

The game runs all the time around 30 FPS with drops mostly in outdoors with a lots of vegetation. I even tried to change my settings (around medium, without DoF and motion blur) to minimal and the FPS are same.
I am using the latests drivers from Nvidia. My system is Windows 10-64b, so maybe there could be problem, because the latests drivers don't seems to run really well.

I hope that Nvidia and CD Project fix the performance issues soon, I have no problems with games like GTAV or newest Wolfenstein, but I expected better performance in Wicher 3 :(

beatc
05-23-2015, 12:28 PM
Hey guys, I own G750JS(870m) and I am currently playing Witcher 3 (gog version) with latest patch 1.03. The game is great, for me already Game of the Year, but I am really disappointed about optimization.

The game runs all the time around 30 FPS with drops mostly in outdoors with a lots of vegetation. I even tried to change my settings (around medium, without DoF and motion blur) to minimal and the FPS are same.
I am using the latests drivers from Nvidia. My system is Windows 10-64b, so maybe there could be problem, because the latests drivers don't seems to run really well.

I hope that Nvidia and CD Project fix the performance issues soon, I have no problems with games like GTAV or newest Wolfenstein, but I expected better performance in Wicher 3 :(

Have you lowered the resolution? Try change it to 720p, 1440p or 900p. It might look a lil bit awkward at first as everything gets "zoomed in" but by doing so, you'll noticed a boost in fps.

Enclaw_cz
05-23-2015, 05:21 PM
Have you lowered the resolution? Try change it to 720p, 1440p or 900p. It might look a lil bit awkward at first as everything gets "zoomed in" but by doing so, you'll noticed a boost in fps.

I didn't change the resolution, I don't want to play it at this resolutions, 870m should be able to run this game at least on medium settings around 60 FPS... there must be some other problem, because at least in the lowest graphic settings, the framerate should be around 40-60 FPS...

navis995
05-23-2015, 08:56 PM
Why should it be able to?
GTX 660 is minimum required.
870M is weaker than that.
Just deal with it.
I have 880M and on Medium I have around 40-45 on average.

navis995
05-23-2015, 08:57 PM
GTA V has RECOMMENDED 7870 so of course you'll run it better than this game...

Enclaw_cz
05-24-2015, 08:10 AM
I didn't change the resolution, I don't want to play it at this resolutions, 870m should be able to run this game at least on medium settings around 60 FPS... there must be some other problem, because at least in the lowest graphic settings, the framerate should be around 40-60 FPS...

Man, this card should be able to run it at least in low-medium setting around 40+ FPS (in my case low settings with ultra textures is something around 28-35 FPS). If you don't believe me, watch some videos..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yry83BAuXw

So stop being smart about it

navis995
05-24-2015, 07:43 PM
2 reasons for that:
1) He said he OC the card
2) The FPS in first area is a lot higher then in latter ones (I had almost always 50-60 in first area only to drop 40-30 in second or any other)

3) I'm not being smart about but I don't know what you're expecting from 870M.

RagingGummyBear
05-25-2015, 08:21 PM
Yes you can't play this game on 60 fps. BUT the 40 fps of this game are better than the 60 fps of many other games. Just simply disable any form of fps counter and see if you actually notice that you are playing sub 40 fps. You will be amazed at how good this game looks and how you won't fill the low fps (especially if you play it on tv, laptop is a buffed up ps after all).

Buttfacesalsa
05-27-2015, 09:54 PM
As there have been said throughout this thread, you can't run this game at perfect 60 or beyond without doing some massive and in my opinion, not worth it downgrades in graphics. I've logged about 30 hours of the game at the time of writing and if you read my earlier post I have actually bumped up the texture quality to ultra, just to have those super-detailed textures. I lay at about 40-45 just riding through the countryside, but when I get into a city or town, the fps drops down to around 37-30. Now some people may say that this is intolerable, but I very rarely noticed the lower fps numbers in general when not running fraps, just because of how good the game is. Now also, they are constantly updating the drivers for this game, and what I noticed was that the game for me ran better on the older version than the newest, so the optimization is still a thing that can change a lot, and also may decide how this game runs.

beatc
05-27-2015, 11:34 PM
The settings that i found the best so far:

1) set all graphics ingame and post processing effect to medium

2) limit the fps engine to 40

Done, it should be running almost constant 40 fps all the time. The reason why I said almost is because I experienced fps dips on an area in Monster Den. Due to that, I decided to cap it on 30. Still looks beautiful IMHO.

Enclaw_cz
06-04-2015, 03:25 PM
I stopped playing Witcher 3 because I wasn't happy with mine G750JS performance... And now is started showing I was right.... I just hope they will fix it soon...

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-working-driver-updates-address-kepler-issues-witcher-3/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/836599/geforce-700-600-series/a-kepler-fix-for-witcher-3-has-been-found/

beatc
06-04-2015, 11:43 PM
nvidia had released new driver that is said to fix the kepler issues with witcher 3. Since the g750 series uses kepler except the JW, maybe you should try this new driver. Other forums reported few performance boost with some desktop gpus. Probably, ours too will have similar result.