PDA

View Full Version : CLeaning the G751

th3l34sh
01-14-2015, 09:15 PM
Hey guys this question may seem a bit silly, but what are you guys using to clean the top lid of your G751? I'm talking about that rubberized soft-touch finish.

Because that thing collects oily smudges like crazy and cleaning with water seems to have no effect.

I'm kind of reluctant to use anything stronger without any suggestions because I fear I may end up damaging that coating permanently(if the oil hasn't already).

BRSxIgnition
01-14-2015, 09:22 PM
I use a spray or two of screen cleaner and a microfiber cloth. (Your G751 should come with a small black microfiber cloth of its own)

Just be careful when wiping the keyboard and don't press the steam button, because that will boot up the machine. (Stupid idea, but whatever.)

th3l34sh
01-14-2015, 09:31 PM
I understand that you recommend screen cleaner for the keyboard as well as the lid? Because both these surfaces have different textures and I'm more concerned towards the lid area as the keyboard area cleans with water just fine.
Thanks

Edit: Can you recommend a brand as well?

BRSxIgnition
01-14-2015, 09:36 PM
Most screen cleaners are the same stuff on the inside, but spending a bit extra for the better stuff doesn't hurt.

The screen REQUIRES screen cleaner, the back lid (Metal + Soft Touch) as well as the Keyboard (All Soft Touch) can be cleaned with a spritz of water or screen cleaner + microfiber cloth.

th3l34sh
01-17-2015, 05:00 AM
Hey so I finally got around to looking up some screen cleaners online and I've found that some are alcohol based while others claim that they are alcohol free. Can you tell which one should I go for?

rlcronin
01-19-2015, 03:28 PM
Personally I am a fan of plain distilled water (lightly) applied with a misting spray bottle.
--
bc

NitroX
01-19-2015, 06:33 PM
+1 for the distiller water. See more info about how I usually clean the screen with only distilled water, over here (in the middle of the post): https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56645-notebook-care-dust-filters-screen-cleaning-product&p=468452&viewfull=1#post468452

th3l34sh
01-19-2015, 06:46 PM
+1 for the distiller water. See more info about how I usually clean the screen with only distilled water, over here (in the middle of the post): https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56645-notebook-care-dust-filters-screen-cleaning-product&p=468452&viewfull=1#post468452

Hey! Thanks for your advice. But I wasn't looking for cleaners to clean the screen. As mentioned in the OP I needed some advice for cleaning the top lid that has rubberized finish. Distilled water has zero effect there.

BRS suggested use a screen cleaner on the lid, that's why I followed up with a screen cleaner question.

So if you could give me some advice on cleaning the lid, that'd be awesome!

Thanks

NitroX
01-19-2015, 08:51 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. I went too quick through the topic and missed the main part :)). You should use some screen cleaner that is also antistatic. Something like this (check it's specifications) http://endustforelectronics.com/11292.php . But we can't really offer a strong advice because there are different products on the market in each different country. So, the best thing is to find someone from your zone and ask him what he uses, or just search on the online shops and see what anti-static cleaner you can find.

Exostenza
01-20-2015, 01:33 AM
The best thing to clean the rubberized surface of the top and where your palms rest are isopropyl alcohol pads you can get 100 for like 2 bucks at your pharmacy. They work like a bloody charm. They also work a treat on taking off thermal paste.

Just NEVER touch your screen with them :)

dapogz
01-20-2015, 02:09 AM
i just use microfabric cloth or linen.. just wipe it softly... cause washing it with alchohol or water will make the rubber finish sticky :D

Amarah
01-21-2015, 01:54 AM
Has anyone else actually tried using isoprpoyl pads for cleaning the rubber (oil attaining) parts of their computer? Which is the BEST way to clean those parts? (i.e. keyboard area)

fabrimacator21
01-21-2015, 11:00 PM
The best thing to clean the rubberized surface of the top and where your palms rest are isopropyl alcohol pads you can get 100 for like 2 bucks at your pharmacy. They work like a bloody charm. They also work a treat on taking off thermal paste.

Just NEVER touch your screen with them :)

Seems like that might be pretty hard on a rubberized surface over time. I know that armor all used to make a dash cleaner/treatment for cars that was alcohol based and they soon got a really bad reputation and removed the alcohol. It was drying the dashes out and causing them to crack.

I know the dash of a car and our laptops are two different surfaces but food for thought.

NitroX
01-22-2015, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't use isopropyl alcohol either. Best choice would be an anti-static screen cleaner. If not, then try distilled water or just use a high density screen cleaning cloth, like this http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Mh4C7PqEbXA/Tb7AujQ5yXI/AAAAAAAAAq8/-R71wyFp3Hk/s1600/psp+cleaning+cloth.jpg . Using just the cloth works for removing light fingerprints. Just rub in circles on the specific spot with a moderate intensity and it will go away.

Rares95
01-22-2015, 01:47 PM
I use medicinal/sanitary alcohol on all surfaces (including the screen) to clean my Laptop and Computer. It's great against any type of smudge.

Sanctrum
01-22-2015, 08:14 PM
Wow, 15 posts, 2 pages... and only 3 answers are relevant to the OP question.

This thread is about cleaning the rubber... Everyone knows how to clean the screen, plastic, metal etc.

But HOW TO CLEAN the RUBBER without damaging it!? RUBBER tends to absorb the dirt in its volume, so the dirt, fat etc. get INSIDE the rubber, not only stay at its surface.

Anyone tried to use some kind of oil/foam to get rid of the fat and dirt inside the rubber? ANY ideas?
Maybe some foam for cleaning INOX surfaces - its often comes with some oil?

Some are just using microfiber - dry: http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-14-m14x/693815-how-clean-grease-palm-rest.html

fabrimacator21
01-23-2015, 03:58 AM
Well, I just did a big order from Amazon and threw this in there too... http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E19H9U0

I'll post up my results when it shows up in a day or so.

th3l34sh
01-29-2015, 12:49 PM
Well I tried screen cleaning solution and it didn't work so that's a bummer.

And now the lid has developed shiny patches in some areas as opposed to matte finish possibly because of me trying 3-4 solutions and wiping that thing constantly for past hour.

Guess the damage is permanent now. Sigh

Is no one else facing this problem? Or Perhaps I am going crazy.

NitroX
01-29-2015, 12:57 PM
I don't think the damage is permanent. Try the simple solution of distilled water + isopropyl alcohol to remove the solutions that you have used.

I'm quite amazed that the screen cleaners didn't work. And neither of them. What sort of screen cleaners did you bought and how did you apply them ?

PS: Also try to make circular moves with a microfibercloth (a very dense one, not like the cloth from ASUS )

Sanctrum
01-29-2015, 10:25 PM
Currently this rubberized case surface is a deal breaker for me.
1. Can't be cleaned.
2. In 1 or 2 years, I am pretty sure, it starts to detach (first at edges) and/or starts to perish/shrivel/wrinkle (not sure how to translate it to English).

So BIG MESS. Who designed this crap? Rubberized case is good only for phones and short life devices... Why everyone started to copy Apple stupid ideas without any reflection? (yes, Apple started it first with rubberized IPhone case). Thinking hurts... Glossy LCD screens, curved TV screens, rubberized cases, 3D active glasses, non-removable batteries... and from the other side TONS of unwanted software. Marketing is full of morons... :) And we buy all this **** from them... So we get what we deserve. :)

Gutterpunk13
01-29-2015, 10:50 PM
I like the rubberized finish I just wish it didn't collect fingerprints so. Maybe I will use cotton gloves whenever handling it.. Even better it gives me an excuse to buy a hazmat suit..

NitroX
01-30-2015, 02:55 PM
Currently this rubberized case surface is a deal breaker for me.
1. Can't be cleaned.
2. In 1 or 2 years, I am pretty sure, it starts to detach (first at edges) and/or starts to perish/shrivel/wrinkle (not sure how to translate it to English).

So BIG MESS. Who designed this crap? Rubberized case is good only for phones and short life devices... Why everyone started to copy Apple stupid ideas without any reflection? (yes, Apple started it first with rubberized IPhone case). Thinking hurts... Glossy LCD screens, curved TV screens, rubberized cases, 3D active glasses, non-removable batteries... and from the other side TONS of unwanted software. Marketing is full of morons... :) And we buy all this **** from them... So we get what we deserve. :)

ASUS G Series has been using rubberized finish for the laptop case for a long time. I previously owned a G75 which had a rubberized finish and I can say that after 2 years the case was looking pretty damn good: no scratches, no signs of material fatigue. It was indeed a little different that this on the G75. It was more like the rubber used for the palm rest on the G751, but the whole idea is that a rubberized finish is more resistant in time than a plastic one. Just my opinion from what I've experienced. Yes of course a full aliminium case would have been betterm, but then, the laptop would have weighted 6-7 kg...

Tbh, I have this laptop for more than a month and I don't have any traces or fingerprints on the case. Usually I'm careful not to leave fingerprints all over my case and I'm always washing my hands when I'm using the laptop. But when I do manage to get some fingerprints I just use a dense microfiber cloth and gently rub with circular moves until the traces are gone. Just be patient, gentle and you'll be amazed how the material cleans itself.

@Gutter: For me, it gave me an excuse to take better care of it :))

Sanctrum
01-30-2015, 03:26 PM
@Nirtox: You must have lots of free time and no family with "dirty" hands :)

NitroX
01-30-2015, 04:13 PM
Actually nobody else uses my laptop and it's quite easy to keep it clean since it mostly stays on my desk :)) . Washing my hands every time I feel that they're a bit oily I think it's the best way to protect the laptop from annoying fingerprints. I also don't have an oily skin and it's quite easy for me to keep my hands "clean". It's not like I'm washing my hand every 5 minutes.