PDA

View Full Version : Asus g751jt and intel-wireless ac 7260

DonvitoQQ
01-15-2015, 07:22 AM
Hi all,

Just thought I would share the information.

Got my G751JT a couple of days ago, and the only drivers I have installed manually are the nvidia drivers.

Yesterday I upgraded the bios to the latest version, and I started having frequent disconnects while playing over wireless while sitting on Teamspeak and playing. The drivers for the wireless-nic was the ones that came pre-installed.

Finally I installed the latest drivers for Intel-AC 7260 (from Intel's site) and I managed to play 30 minutes without disconnecting. I need more time to evaluate, but I think it solved the problem. Just wanted to share.

t3rrazul
03-01-2015, 07:21 PM
Hi DonvitoQQ,

i just got mine 2 days ago and I dont know my Bios Version. However I also experience severe lags when playing online via Wifi.
I tried to deactive the intel-wireless ac 7260 and reinstall the driver but it did not help.
Is your issue fixed? Can you guess what else I should try?

Evil Hotdog
03-01-2015, 09:27 PM
Had the same problem, this did the trick for me "http://jakthebomb.tumblr.com/post/90717903679/intel-wireless-ping-spikes-and-lag-fixed"

hmscott
03-01-2015, 09:37 PM
Had the same problem, this did the trick for me "http://jakthebomb.tumblr.com/post/90717903679/intel-wireless-ping-spikes-and-lag-fixed"

Evil Hotdog, nice find!

It looks like this has been an ongoing tweak from the Intel Centrino days as well. Here is another mention of this solution. They also mention that installing a new driver may reset the value from 0 to 1 again, so watch for that :)

Debugging latency, spikes and lag on certain Intel Centrino wifi card and driver combinations
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-8-and-8-1-Knowledge-Base/Debugging-latency-spikes-and-lag-on-certain-Intel-Centrino-wifi/ta-p/1471018

And, another 7260 era mention:

AC 7260 frequent ping spikes
https://communities.intel.com/message/262563

t3rrazul
03-02-2015, 05:42 PM
nice find indeed! I posted on another thread with similar issues and Evil Hotdog answered.

for me it helped! So great because i loved the machine in every other way!

Randy88
03-08-2015, 08:37 AM
Just received my new ASUS ROG G751JY-DH72X with Intel 7260. Wifi has been a disaster from the get go. Can not even complete a speed test with 5GHz. 2.4 works but is very flakey. Setting ScanWhenAssociated did not fix things for me. I have an older ROG with a Broadcom AC adapter and it works perfectly on a multitude of wifi networks with all sorts of hardware. This Intel 7260 card seems to be a nightmare for many people. Intel forums are knee deep in complaints. I love this laptop but I have no choice but to return it. If you can not turn on your laptop and use wifi internet wherever you are, it is not a laptop.

hmscott
03-08-2015, 04:58 PM
Just received my new ASUS ROG G751JY-DH72X with Intel 7260. Wifi has been a disaster from the get go. Can not even complete a speed test with 5GHz. 2.4 works but is very flakey. Setting ScanWhenAssociated did not fix things for me. I have an older ROG with a Broadcom AC adapter and it works perfectly on a multitude of wifi networks with all sorts of hardware. This Intel 7260 card seems to be a nightmare for many people. Intel forums are knee deep in complaints. I love this laptop but I have no choice but to return it. If you can not turn on your laptop and use wifi internet wherever you are, it is not a laptop.

Randy88, did you try Evil Hotdog's tweak above (also look at the links in my post)?

And, did you download the latest 7260 driver from Intel?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=Intel%C2%AE+Dual+Band+Wireless-N+7260

It would be nice if the out of the box driver was always the newest, or at least worked well enough with *everything*, but that hasn't been true with any new cutting edge router / wifi device I have ever purchased, it is just the way it is - you always download and install the latest driver for the Wifi card and latest Firmware for your router/AP, you need to do that :)

The new Killer Wireless 1520/50's are also out of the box failures, you have to find the latest drivers, and for quite a while improvements will continue to be made.

That is why when I find a good router chipset, I keep the router, even after many years my DIR-655 is still the most reliable router, although the Asus RT-AC68U is getting there (need more cooking time to see if it fails long term).

For a cheap router that is reliable, I still recommend the DIR-655, still for sale after many years.

Don't return an otherwise awesome ass-kicking gaming laptop just for Wifi :)

If you want to swap out the Wifi card, I think you can order from online boutique places that will accommodate special requests like swapping in a different card, but all Wifi cards have idiosyncratic behavior - make sure you study compatibility reports for your favorite router before jumping into a change.

What make/model router and firmware version are you trying to connect with?

Randy88
03-09-2015, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

- I tried ScanWhenAssociated (mentioned in cross post by EH).
- I have the latest Intel driver. Tried various 17.x flavors (Asus 8/2014 date, preinstalled 6/2014 and Intel site 2/2015)
- I have an ASUS ROG G750JX-DB71 with a Broadcom AC card and it works flawlessly on my router (Aris SBG6782-AC) and many (>20) wifi systems I have to connect to when traveling. Tweaking my router should not be required [though I have tried](it supports > 10 devices just fine as is) and when I travel I have no ability to tweak client/partner wifi systems. I bought this new laptop based on my experience with the prior. Dysfunctional wifi is a fatal flaw for a laptop, I should not have to replace cards, shuffle drivers or monkey with routers. My best advice to Asus would be to switch back to Broadcom. Sadly xoptic pc only offers the intel card.

Randy88, did you try Evil Hotdog's tweak above (also look at the links in my post)?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=Intel%C2%AE+Dual+Band+Wireless-N+7260

It would be nice if the out of the box driver was always the newest, or at least worked well enough with *everything*, but that hasn't been true with any new cutting edge router / wifi device I have ever purchased, it is just the way it is - you always download and install the latest driver for the Wifi card and latest Firmware for your router/AP, you need to do that :)

The new Killer Wireless 1520/50's are also out of the box failures, you have to find the latest drivers, and for quite a while improvements will continue to be made.

That is why when I find a good router chipset, I keep the router, even after many years my DIR-655 is still the most reliable router, although the Asus RT-AC68U is getting there (need more cooking time to see if it fails long term).

For a cheap router that is reliable, I still recommend the DIR-655, still for sale after many years.

If you want to swap out the Wifi card, I think you can order from online boutique places that will accommodate special requests like swapping in a different card, but all Wifi cards have idiosyncratic behavior - make sure you study compatibility reports for your favorite router before jumping into a change.

Asoryu
04-22-2015, 02:43 PM
hmscott,

Do any of your resolutions to the problems with these laptops ever point to ASUS as being the problem? I've seen multiple threads
where you blame everything but these laptops as being faulty.

ASUS sand bagged on my first issue so now I can not return my laptop to the place of purchase, and now they are also blaming my router
as being the issue with my latency regardless of the fact that the issue persists at 9 different hotels, 6 different states, and 2 different
countries(oh and the fact that none of the other 15 devices that use this router have any issues). But yours and their solution is that I should buy a different router. I now have about 2500 invested in to this laptop,
and I'm regretting ever allowing myself to purchase another ASUS product.

If you don't have an actual answer, don't point the blame at other companies.

xeromist
04-22-2015, 06:55 PM
hmscott,

Do any of your resolutions to the problems with these laptops ever point to ASUS as being the problem? I've seen multiple threads

ASUS sand bagged on my first issue so now I can not return my laptop to the place of purchase, and now they are also blaming my router
as being the issue with my latency regardless of the fact that the issue persists at 9 different hotels, 6 different states, and 2 different
countries(oh and the fact that none of the other 15 devices that use this router have any issues). But yours and their solution is that I should buy a different router. I now have about 2500 invested in to this laptop,

Sorry to hear you had problems but looking for someone to blame and lashing out at people isn't going to fix those problems. Scott (rightfully) pointed out that this will likely require a driver/firmware update for the Intel wireless to fully resolve. That's Intel engineers coding software and ASUS doing QA on that software. So if it makes you feel better that's Intel+ASUS to blame but it doesn't bring you closer to resolution.

Attempting workarounds *might* help mitigate the issue until an official fix is released so it's worth trying. If it's been tried in vain, the owner cannot wait for a fix, and still has the ability to return, then by all means return it.

hmscott
04-23-2015, 04:40 AM
hmscott,

Asoryu, I know you are frustrated, but I don't ignore the possibility of a hardware problem. Since that is the most rare situation, I start with the more likely solutions. It's easy to get upset and curse out the laptop brand, but that isn't usually the issue.

I always start the debugging with the most likely possible fixes, which are usually user error - not updating the driver for the laptop, not updating the firmware for the router, having too old of a router - responded to someone with a router that brags of the 802.11g transition - they replaced their cable modem and router and now are getting full performance.

There are lots of times I recommend a return or RMA as the problem debugs down to a hardware issue. Some say I do that too often too :) But, hardware can fail - infant mortality in a new build is common.

There are times where a design flaw occurs, and I have debugged to root cause on many such hardware design errors in my career - also a very controversial path as it involves large companies with large reputations - all creations can have a flaw that requires fixing from any level of implementer.

So far Asus has been amazingly good at working with owners to find problems to root cause, look to the G751/G750 Realtek driver problems, all the issues get resolved via driver updates from Realtek - Asus got caught in the middle but couldn't make the fix themselves. They get all the blame and heat at the front end, but it turns out to be a 3rd party issue.

It sounds like your Wifi card might be the problem. There are lots of people that have no problems with the 7260 series now, but have had lots of problems from first release with Intel drivers. Many of the 7260 problems are due to strict adherence to the 802.11 specs - where other routers/ap's don't - and they get caught out not supporting the standard correctly causing the connections to fail - much of the driver fixes Intel has done are including exceptions for those situations.

If you think the Wifi card is the problem, ask Asus to replace it. If I debugged it to being a problem across lots of routers/ap's and they all aren't old routers/ap's, and I could use a new release USB Wifi adapter to connect, that would isolate the issue to the Wifi card, and ask for it to be replaced.

Asus and other manufacturers get lots of Wifi issues from customers, it isn't an easy thing for many people to set up even when the parts are all compatible, so they likely have a callous built up for those complaints and will run you through a lot of testing before determining it is a hardware fault.

I have had dead ends with support people before, they just don't get it and they won't move forward, and they won't escalate it. So I send in another ticket to get another support person in play :)

Don't despair, these things are all solveable, and if you are stuck with support person problem, PM cl-albert for assistance - give him the case number and relevant info and ask for help pushing through a solution.

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)

Asoryu
04-23-2015, 11:34 PM
Asoryu, I know you are frustrated, but I don't ignore the possibility of a hardware problem. Since that is the most rare situation, I start with the more likely solutions. It's easy to get upset and curse out the laptop brand, but that isn't usually the issue.

I always start the debugging with the most likely possible fixes, which are usually user error - not updating the driver for the laptop, not updating the firmware for the router, having too old of a router - responded to someone with a router that brags of the 802.11g transition - they replaced their cable modem and router and now are getting full performance.

There are lots of times I recommend a return or RMA as the problem debugs down to a hardware issue. Some say I do that too often too :) But, hardware can fail - infant mortality in a new build is common.

There are times where a design flaw occurs, and I have debugged to root cause on many such hardware design errors in my career - also a very controversial path as it involves large companies with large reputations - all creations can have a flaw that requires fixing from any level of implementer.

So far Asus has been amazingly good at working with owners to find problems to root cause, look to the G751/G750 Realtek driver problems, all the issues get resolved via driver updates from Realtek - Asus got caught in the middle but couldn't make the fix themselves. They get all the blame and heat at the front end, but it turns out to be a 3rd party issue.

It sounds like your Wifi card might be the problem. There are lots of people that have no problems with the 7260 series now, but have had lots of problems from first release with Intel drivers. Many of the 7260 problems are due to strict adherence to the 802.11 specs - where other routers/ap's don't - and they get caught out not supporting the standard correctly causing the connections to fail - much of the driver fixes Intel has done are including exceptions for those situations.

If you think the Wifi card is the problem, ask Asus to replace it. If I debugged it to being a problem across lots of routers/ap's and they all aren't old routers/ap's, and I could use a new release USB Wifi adapter to connect, that would isolate the issue to the Wifi card, and ask for it to be replaced.

Asus and other manufacturers get lots of Wifi issues from customers, it isn't an easy thing for many people to set up even when the parts are all compatible, so they likely have a callous built up for those complaints and will run you through a lot of testing before determining it is a hardware fault.

I have had dead ends with support people before, they just don't get it and they won't move forward, and they won't escalate it. So I send in another ticket to get another support person in play :)

Don't despair, these things are all solveable, and if you are stuck with support person problem, PM cl-albert for assistance - give him the case number and relevant info and ask for help pushing through a solution.

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)

I want to have a more in depth discussion about my disagreements with your statements but I don't believe that will achieve anything.

Regardless, so far I've been able to achieve some success and minimizing the problem. I disabled the option to allow this device to be turned off to conserve power in the device manager properties for this card, also under the windows power profiles I made sure that this was also not allowed.
I also disabled fast boot in Windows 8.1 which actually seems to have made the most progress in resolving my issue. Initially I was seeing 50-70ms when the connection was working good, 250-2000ms constant when it was not working to a seemingly steady 3-4ms on my wireless network with a 4 minute interval where I see 100% packet loss for about 500ms.

I regret deciding to purchase ASUS products again. Going forward, I don't feel there is anything that ASUS is going to do to change my mind about that, and I'm going to recommend to all of my customers too that they do not purchase any ASUS products either.

hmscott
04-24-2015, 01:37 AM
I want to have a more in depth discussion about my disagreements with your statements but I don't believe that will achieve anything.

Regardless, so far I've been able to achieve some success and minimizing the problem. I disabled the option to allow this device to be turned off to conserve power in the device manager properties for this card, also under the windows power profiles I made sure that this was also not allowed.
I also disabled fast boot in Windows 8.1 which actually seems to have made the most progress in resolving my issue. Initially I was seeing 50-70ms when the connection was working good, 250-2000ms constant when it was not working to a seemingly steady 3-4ms on my wireless network with a 4 minute interval where I see 100% packet loss for about 500ms.

I regret deciding to purchase ASUS products again. Going forward, I don't feel there is anything that ASUS is going to do to change my mind about that, and I'm going to recommend to all of my customers too that they do not purchase any ASUS products either.

Asoryu, if you followed/read my posts, you would see I recommend turning off Fast Start by disabling Hibernation, powercfg /hibernate off, and disable pagefile - both improve performance and reduce latency - and both reduce C drive disk usage, for me by 64GB. Disabling Fast Startup has also been shown to fix the Black Screen on boot issue - not all - some are hardware problems.

I also post to disable the power management for Wifi/Ethernet to stop disconnects. Also disable power management for USB Hubs to stop USB disconnects - especially a problem for WD USB storage devices.

Why blame Asus?, all these changes that fixed your problem were Windows settings....or Intel Wifi driver updates.

I am happy to discuss the details of your disagreement with my comments via PM or right here; I am interested in reasoned discussion. :)

Asoryu
04-24-2015, 05:12 AM
Asoryu, if you followed/read my posts, you would see I recommend turning off Fast Start by disabling Hibernation, powercfg /hibernate off, and disable pagefile - both improve performance and reduce latency - and both reduce C drive disk usage, for me by 64GB. Disabling Fast Startup has also been shown to fix the Black Screen on boot issue - not all - some are hardware problems.

I also post to disable the power management for Wifi/Ethernet to stop disconnects. Also disable power management for USB Hubs to stop USB disconnects - especially a problem for WD USB storage devices.

Why blame Asus?, all these changes that fixed your problem were Windows settings....or Intel Wifi driver updates.

I am happy to discuss the details of your disagreement with my comments via PM or right here; I am interested in reasoned discussion. :)

As far as all of your suggestions in your first paragraph besides fast boot(this is my first 8.1 machine), these are thing that I always do to every computer I own. Updating the driver for the Intel card reactivated the power savings option that was under the device manager properties which is why I did not readily see it.

Also, my problems still are not fixed to my satisfaction they are just better and tech support is giving me solutions like "install the Atheros driver" for my Intel card. No joke, I can post the exact text if you want.
But yes, ASUS sold the product, and it failing on the support end. They should have done more testing/research before they chose the 7260. I see a ton of complaints about these exact same issues on multiple forums.
Most people have solved it by purchasing a USB WI-FI adapter, which I find a completely unacceptable solution.

As far as Backtracker is concerned, that whole situation is completely unacceptable. That's 100% their failure and they have done nothing as far as I can tell to help the end user
and resolve the issues. Currently they want me to disable xHCI and wipe my hard drive with this image, not cool.

Also I forgot to mention that removing Rog Games first III had the biggest impact on my issue which is solely and ASUS product.

hmscott
04-24-2015, 06:52 AM
As far as all of your suggestions in your first paragraph besides fast boot(this is my first 8.1 machine), these are thing that I always do to every computer I own. Updating the driver for the Intel card reactivated the power savings option that was under the device manager properties which is why I did not readily see it.

Also, my problems still are not fixed to my satisfaction they are just better and tech support is giving me solutions like "install the Atheros driver" for my Intel card. No joke, I can post the exact text if you want.
But yes, ASUS sold the product, and it failing on the support end. They should have done more testing/research before they chose the 7260. I see a ton of complaints about these exact same issues on multiple forums.
Most people have solved it by purchasing a USB WI-FI adapter, which I find a completely unacceptable solution.

As far as Backtracker is concerned, that whole situation is completely unacceptable. That's 100% their failure and they have done nothing as far as I can tell to help the end user
and resolve the issues. Currently they want me to disable xHCI and wipe my hard drive with this image, not cool.

Also I forgot to mention that removing Rog Games first III had the biggest impact on my issue which is solely and ASUS product.

Asoryu, there are people upgrading their laptop wifi cards with 7260's, and are very happy with the results. Go figure. I guess they didn't hear that they were crappy... every wifi card has compatibility issues.

The Killer Wireless 1202 has been an awesome card, but everyone wants 802.11ac - and the Killer Wireless card 1525 wasn't ready - and is still having driver issues as it gets tuned and optimized.

The 7260 has been the only 802.11ac card available, and even with all the driver fixes, when it works it works well. But, for you, and some others, it isn't. Not fun, I know, I have been there myself - with a couple different USB wifi dongles chosen for their compatibility spread.

I am sure Asus wishes it could have stayed with the Killer Wireless 1202, as most/all of the bugs have been worked out the driver - at least the complaints have come down to out of date drivers, out of date firmware, router chipset age, and local interference.

But, everyone *needed* an 802.11ac solution. The 7260 was the only choice. Timing is everything :)

If it were me, I would swap in a Killer Wireless 1202 card for stability and great performance now, or try to find a 1525 card and live with the driver updates, reports have been getting better.

Backtracker has been working fine for a long time, even on the G751 - lots of people have used it and deleted their partitions after restoring. I don't have a G751 to test, but I am curious as to what the problem could be. It's a mystery. What is more of a mystery is that external tools can't remove that recovery partition, what's up with that?

But bugs happen and get discovered along the way for things that once worked. It takes time to get the attention of the developers at Asus to get things fixed, but it can be done and has happened many times.

I would persist with Asus support, escalate to a manager and state the intent that you want a bug fix implemented for Backtracker for the G751 to allow deleting the recovery partition - tell them to put in a warning to not delete their only copy of the recovery partition - I would imagine that many have used that feature in the past only to later wish that they hadn't deleted it.

If they are suggesting things to try, work with them and get the resources you need - HDD/SSD and help Asus debug, that will get you the engineering resource on Asus's side to fix it. Once the engineer(s) are engaged they will take it from there. They just need to be able to duplicate the problem before they can fix it.

All vendor bloatware can cause problems. ROG Gamefirst III is an excellent example of something that never needed to be created, but because other competitors had something like that Asus felt it need to make something to compete. If there is anything Asus falls down on, it is these extraneous apps that don't need to exist.

For the G750, here are the ones we delete (what it tries to replace but doesn't): Splendid (Windows ICC Profiles), Power4Gear (Windows Power Plans), Asus Live Update (hunt down latest drivers on Asus site), Asus Install (hunt down latest drivers on Asus site), AsusDVD (buy latest Cyberlink Ultimate release), USB Charger+ (get another wall wart), Asus Gaming Mouse (download the exact driver you need), Asus Vibe (Amazon, Google Play, iTunes, Sony Media, etc).

All these complaints you have are the same for any hardware vendor - they all have their strengths and weakness's, just like us - they aren't perfect.

Asus has their heart in the right place, performance and gaming first, and they always make it work - you just need to whittle down the rough edges - hardly takes any time at all once you know the rough patches :)

After 9 Asus laptops and almost as many years(!), Asus is much more workable for the performance I need than other brands that I have tried/use, at least for me.

Give Asus a chance over more than one laptop release - you get a pretty good bead on what to expect and how to deal with it. For me I skip purchasing on first release every other laptop debut. I am due for a release day purchase - I can't wait ;)

Asoryu
04-24-2015, 12:57 PM
Asoryu,
Give Asus a chance over more than one laptop release - you get a pretty good bead on what to expect and how to deal with it. For me I skip purchasing on first release every other laptop debut. I am due for a release day purchase - I can't wait ;)

I've been using ASUS hardware since the 90's and this is indicative of every support call/email I've ever had with them. After explaining that this was a new laptop, giving them a decent list of things I've tried, I get a response like this.

"Dear Dick,

For the wireless issue, I would suggest you to unistall the current driver of this wifi card in the Device Manager, then reboot the system and let the system auto install the wireless driver for a test.
For the backtracker utility, like I previously mentioned, it is possible that the recovery partition has already been failed when you used the backtracker utility to backup the OS, the failed recovery partition was possible caused by the unsuccessful Windows update or the virus.
As the hard drive has been wiped, I am afraid to say that currently there isn't for you to reload the original recovery partition back.

Best Regards,
Cartman
ASUS Product Support Team"

Keep in mind, these are basically things that I just told them in the previous email, I mean besides the part where he says a brand new laptop that was never even connected to the internet or had a single piece of hardware installed on it might have had a virus or an unsuccessful update.
This level of service is completely unacceptable. They've dropped the ball on this laptop, and they're trying to blame it on me now regardless of the countless number of people who have had issues with both of these issues.

hmscott
04-24-2015, 05:17 PM
I've been using ASUS hardware since the 90's and this is indicative of every support call/email I've ever had with them. After explaining that this was a new laptop, giving them a decent list of things I've tried, I get a response like this.

"Dear Dick,

For the wireless issue, I would suggest you to unistall the current driver of this wifi card in the Device Manager, then reboot the system and let the system auto install the wireless driver for a test.
For the backtracker utility, like I previously mentioned, it is possible that the recovery partition has already been failed when you used the backtracker utility to backup the OS, the failed recovery partition was possible caused by the unsuccessful Windows update or the virus.
As the hard drive has been wiped, I am afraid to say that currently there isn't for you to reload the original recovery partition back.

Best Regards,
Cartman
ASUS Product Support Team"

Keep in mind, these are basically things that I just told them in the previous email, I mean besides the part where he says a brand new laptop that was never even connected to the internet or had a single piece of hardware installed on it might have had a virus or an unsuccessful update.
This level of service is completely unacceptable. They've dropped the ball on this laptop, and they're trying to blame it on me now regardless of the countless number of people who have had issues with both of these issues.

Asoryu, really, one guy hasn't understood what you were trying to convey and all of Asus is to blame, and it's an unrecoverable failure to which there is no solution?

Re-explain it, 1 topic at a time. I find that if you include too many items to resolve, more than 1, in any support situation the responder will pick the item they recognize best and respond to it, and then sluff off on the 2nd one.

There is a technique to getting answers out of support. It takes a while to figure it out, but it is worth it. And, it doesn't always work. Sometimes you need to give up on the guy that has been assigned to your case, and ask for someone else.

By Cartman's response he clearly didn't get the gravity or the breadth of either problem. Try again, 1 problem at a time.

You can also bring in cl-albert to get help on cases like this, he is the forum support representative, so give him a PM, start him out slowing into the issue(s), detail 1 at a time, and ask for help getting the right people in support to help you.

1st Tier support has a run book and limited experience, you need to get them to pass you on to Tier 2 and then Tier 3 and then engineering, stopping whereever gives you the answer you need :)

I am working out 1 support issue right now, confirming Windows 10 support for the G750 series. The Tier 1 person is trying hard, but doesn't have the exposure to the issue that is needed to give a firm answer, but he is working on getting it, and I am supporting him in this until he works through to an answer - other Asus people have spoken up and are working the issue to get a decision. It is a process, not a single exchange to an answer.

Anyway, if you give up and go to another brand, you will not be surprised to find the grass isn't any greener over there :)

hmscott
04-24-2015, 07:52 PM
Asoryu, found this, and it might be the problem - a new image that breaks Asus Backtracker flash recovery creation, maybe it's the version that breaks removing the partition as well... can you verify you also have a 15GB recovery partition, or do you have the 12GB one? Serial number adjacent to his? Might be more good info to feed Asus in your responses.

g751jy Pcie ssd questions
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52551-g751jy-Pcie-ssd-questions&p=492892&viewfull=1#post492892

"I have done an RMA on my 2nd G751JY-DH73-CA and now have a third one. Interesting that this 3rd one has a 15GB recovery partition (as you can see above the other 2 had 12GB) and the data partition is 3GB smaller.

ASUS Backtracker cannot currently record a recovery image to USB thumb drive in FAT32 format because while it splits 8GB inatall.wim image file into 3 smaller asus.swm files, it does not try to split the custom.wim image which is now 4.3GB in size and over the 4GB limit. The first 2 units had S/N starting with F1N0WU..., the current one has S/N starting with F2N0WU."

I hope that helps :)

Asoryu
04-24-2015, 08:03 PM
Asoryu, really, one guy hasn't understood what you were trying to convey and all of Asus is to blame, and it's an unrecoverable failure to which there is no solution?

Re-explain it, 1 topic at a time. I find that if you include too many items to resolve, more than 1, in any support situation the responder will pick the item they recognize best and respond to it, and then sluff off on the 2nd one.

There is a technique to getting answers out of support. It takes a while to figure it out, but it is worth it. And, it doesn't always work. Sometimes you need to give up on the guy that has been assigned to your case, and ask for someone else.

By Cartman's response he clearly didn't get the gravity or the breadth of either problem. Try again, 1 problem at a time.

You can also bring in cl-albert to get help on cases like this, he is the forum support representative, so give him a PM, start him out slowing into the issue(s), detail 1 at a time, and ask for help getting the right people in support to help you.

1st Tier support has a run book and limited experience, you need to get them to pass you on to Tier 2 and then Tier 3 and then engineering, stopping whereever gives you the answer you need :)

I am working out 1 support issue right now, confirming Windows 10 support for the G750 series. The Tier 1 person is trying hard, but doesn't have the exposure to the issue that is needed to give a firm answer, but he is working on getting it, and I am supporting him in this until he works through to an answer - other Asus people have spoken up and are working the issue to get a decision. It is a process, not a single exchange to an answer.

Anyway, if you give up and go to another brand, you will not be surprised to find the grass isn't any greener over there :)

This is not the first product I've purchased from ASUS, and it's not the first run I've had with ASUS. I actually work as a resolution engineer for my company supporting our proprietary hardware and software and I've gotten pretty good at detailing my issues.
This support person isn't even trying. He's ignoring my details and just repeating back to me steps that I've already taken.

With their turnaround time, I should have all of my problems fixed sometime next year if I have to reexplain myself with every email.

I do not experience this level of incompetence with Dell, MSI, or Toshiba, all of which I deal with on a regular basis with my job. The worst of them is MSI and even they have been 100x more supportive than the cumulative experience I've had dealing with ASUS for consumer grade products.

Asoryu
04-24-2015, 08:09 PM
Asoryu, found this, and it might be the problem - a new image that breaks Asus Backtracker flash recovery creation, maybe it's the version that breaks removing the partition as well... can you verify you also have a 15GB recovery partition, or do you have the 12GB one? Serial number adjacent to his? Might be more good info to feed Asus in your responses.

g751jy Pcie ssd questions
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52551-g751jy-Pcie-ssd-questions&p=492892&viewfull=1#post492892

"I have done an RMA on my 2nd G751JY-DH73-CA and now have a third one. Interesting that this 3rd one has a 15GB recovery partition (as you can see above the other 2 had 12GB) and the data partition is 3GB smaller.

ASUS Backtracker cannot currently record a recovery image to USB thumb drive in FAT32 format because while it splits 8GB inatall.wim image file into 3 smaller asus.swm files, it does not try to split the custom.wim image which is now 4.3GB in size and over the 4GB limit. The first 2 units had S/N starting with F1N0WU..., the current one has S/N starting with F2N0WU."

I hope that helps :)

Looking at my image file, the backtracker image is 11.9GB. It's good information but the fact that ASUS is giving me the runaround instead of giving me a solution is a huge problem.

hmscott
04-24-2015, 11:15 PM
Asoryu, I just thought of a simple brute force way of getting rid of the Recovery and other partitions you can't delete.

You will need a spare drive, or 2 if you want to boot on one and clone between the other 2.

Use Macrium Reflect to clone the SSD partitions to another drive, and uncheck/leave out the unwanted partition(s), and then clone them back to the SSD and use Macrium Reflects partition resizing on the return cloning - you won't even need to reclaim the free space into the C drive as you will have already resized it to maximum free space on the return cloning :)

You could also create an image of the SSD, without the unwanted partitions, then upon restore to the SSD resize the C partition to use all available free space.

Macrium Reflect Free
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Too bad Asus doesn't have a fixed Backtracker yet, but this method should work :)

Asoryu
05-12-2015, 03:03 AM
Asoryu, I just thought of a simple brute force way of getting rid of the Recovery and other partitions you can't delete.

You will need a spare drive, or 2 if you want to boot on one and clone between the other 2.

Use Macrium Reflect to clone the SSD partitions to another drive, and uncheck/leave out the unwanted partition(s), and then clone them back to the SSD and use Macrium Reflects partition resizing on the return cloning - you won't even need to reclaim the free space into the C drive as you will have already resized it to maximum free space on the return cloning :)

You could also create an image of the SSD, without the unwanted partitions, then upon restore to the SSD resize the C partition to use all available free space.

Macrium Reflect Free

Too bad Asus doesn't have a fixed Backtracker yet, but this method should work :)

Not sure exactly what you're talking about here. My issue is backtracker fragged my partitions. The other poster was right about the issue with backtracker. It writes a 4.3 gig file to a fat32 disk, which doesn't end well.j

Now as far as my original issue with the network card, ASUS has yet to come up with a resolution. Since I've owned this thing, I've yet to be able to use it for its intended purpose.

Asoryu
05-12-2015, 03:03 AM

Macrium Reflect Free

Not sure exactly what you're talking about here. My issue is backtracker fragged my partitions. The other poster was right about the issue with backtracker. It writes a 4.3 gig file to a fat32 disk, which doesn't end well.j

Now as far as my original issue with the network card, ASUS has yet to come up with a resolution. Since I've owned this thing, I've yet to be able to use it for its intended purpose.

Asoryu
05-12-2015, 03:09 AM
My issue was that Backtracker fragged my drive. I've since wiped it clean and rebuilt it myself. The reason it's not working is that they've written a 4.3 gig file to a fat32 partition.

In regards to my other issue with the network card, ASUS has yet to resolve the issue. I've yet to successfully use this laptop for its intended purpose.

hmscott
05-12-2015, 05:24 AM
My issue was that Backtracker fragged my drive. I've since wiped it clean and rebuilt it myself. The reason it's not working is that they've written a 4.3 gig file to a fat32 partition.

In regards to my other issue with the network card, ASUS has yet to resolve the issue. I've yet to successfully use this laptop for its intended purpose.

Asoryu, Backtracker writing a 4.3GB file breaking the restore is a bug, and I am sure you have already reported it as such to Asus - and here is a response from Asus from another user that they are working on a fix for restore problems:

Do You Know Why Asus Backtracker Keeps Failing?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?61253-Do-You-Know-Why-Asus-Backtracker-Keeps-Failing&p=497847&viewfull=1#post497847

Maybe you can PM JBM and trade case numbers, getting both fixes into the next release of Backtracker?

The 7260 lag/ping spikes problem is well described in this thread, hopefully you already found it, and found the fixes available:

Re: AC 7260 frequent ping spikes <= registry tweak fix:
https://communities.intel.com/message/246711#246711

Re: AC 7260 frequent ping spikes <= Try disabling the U-APSD:
https://communities.intel.com/message/247059#247059

TechNote: Access Point Interoperability Issue with uAPSD
http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034875.htm

I see you found NitroX's thread as well :)

Good luck!