PDA

View Full Version : Slight vibration on Asus ROG G771JM - is it normal?

TheMadTitan
01-15-2015, 12:59 PM
I got a ROG about a month ago, and yesterday I noticed that the place where I rest my left wrist vibrates slightly - very slightly, barely noticeable.
The vibration is more noticeable when the laptop is placed on a hard surface, and less noticeable when it's on my lap.

Also, if I put my head close to that spot I can hear very faint clicking. The clicking goes away when the hard drives and the fan are not idle.

Are these things normal? Thanks in advance.

hmscott
01-15-2015, 09:18 PM
I got a ROG about a month ago, and yesterday I noticed that the place where I rest my left wrist vibrates slightly - very slightly, barely noticeable.
The vibration is more noticeable when the laptop is placed on a hard surface, and less noticeable when it's on my lap.
Also, if I put my head close to that spot I can hear very faint clicking. The clicking goes away when the hard drives and the fan are not idle.
Are these things normal? Thanks in advance.

TheMadTitan, it's your HDD, the clicking is the APM head parking. You can get rid of the audible clicking and associated lag from HDD unpark/spinup with quiethdd:

quiethdd:
https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

Use Settings to set APM/AAM to 255/255, and select the disable APM and disable system suspend in the systray app as available:

You will still get the spinning vibration effect, but at least the park/spin down/spin up will stop :)

TheMadTitan
01-15-2015, 09:58 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the input!

I actually found out that HWMonitor was causing the clicking - disabling it made the clicking go away.
Still, your info was VERY valuable, and I'll definitely give the program a go!