PDA

View Full Version : G751 How to change the Steam, Shadowplay buttons and Backlight timeout settings

Rares95
01-16-2015, 05:03 PM
DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES THAT MIGHT OCCUR (THEY NEVER DID UNTIL NOW BUT JUST TO BE SAFE).

To change the Backlight timeout settings:

The lazy way:

Download the archive from HERE > https://www.dropbox.com/s/payvik1ibtq32gs/Keyboard%20Backlight.rar?dl=0
Click Yes
Double click the file with whatever value you want (5,60-default,900 or 999999999 seconds)
Restart your laptop for changes to apply

The manual way:

You press Windows Key + R and type in regedit
You go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ASUS\
Click the ATK Package folder
Look for TurnOffKeybdLight on the right panel
You double click it, switch to Decimal (Hexadecimal by default), and type in after how many seconds you want the keyboard backlight to turn off (60 seconds by default)
Restart your laptop for changes to apply

Thanks to Ary-Aman for posting this fix.

EDIT: SEEMS LIKE THIS IS UNNECESSARY AS THE NEWEST VERSION OPENS STEAM IN DESKTOP MODE BY DEFAULT
To change it so the Steam key opens up Steam in Desktop mode:

The lazy way (NOT UPDATED ANYMORE, USE THE OTHER METHODS):

Go to
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey
Go to Control Panel and stop HControl.exe (otherwise you can't replace the file for the next step)
Replace the HControl.exe with the one you need that you can find in the archive HERE > https://www.dropbox.com/s/iqbv34w0hcmqlkp/Steam%20Key%20Fix.rar?dl=0
Restart your laptop or double click the HControl.exe

The manual way:

Download a HEX editor, i use HxD
Make a copy of
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey\HControl.exe
Open the copy of HControl.exe with HxD
Search for bigpicture
Replace it with games if you want to open your game library or you can customize it by replacing the path with something else from HERE > https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_browser_protocol
Go to Control Panel and stop HControl.exe (otherwise you can't replace the file for the next step)
Save your changes and replace the executable in the folder from step #2
Restart your laptop or double click the HControl.exe

Thanks to Xemax for posting this fix.

How to change Fn Combo,Shadowplay,Steam,ROG buttons guide by Gps3dx: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56496-G751-How-to-change-the-Steam-Shadowplay-buttons-and-Backlight-timeout-settings&p=538722&viewfull=1#post538722

Rares95
01-19-2015, 01:52 PM
Updated Thread

borgwarrior
01-21-2015, 02:10 PM
Interesting thing is, that Windows wont let me overwrite said file (to make steam open in desktop mode), stating i have to have administrator privileges. Being the only user, and an administrator, this surprised me.

Rares95
01-21-2015, 11:56 PM
That's how Windows 8/8.1 rolls...If you try to modify it directly it will give you an error. You have to make a copy, then modify the copy, then overwrite the original (if you do it manually)

borgwarrior
01-22-2015, 08:52 AM
That worked indeed. Thanks.

Exostenza
01-22-2015, 12:54 PM
I deleted the ATKRecHelp.exe file and now the button does nothing. Is there some way to make it open the nvidia control panel?

Rares95
01-22-2015, 01:07 PM
I don't really know about that, when i deleted mine, nvidia control panel opened.

Exostenza
01-23-2015, 01:10 AM
Well, mine just does nothing now...

Rares95
01-23-2015, 06:44 PM
Do you need the exe back?

Exostenza
01-24-2015, 03:10 PM
Do you need the exe back?

Nah, I'm good. Thanks though.

Would never use it anyways. Would be sweet to open the nvpanel with it though.

Rares95
01-28-2015, 12:07 PM
If anyone knows how to make the Shadowplay Button work, please leave a comment. I did all the steps it says you must do and it still doesn't do anything.

Richdog
01-28-2015, 02:52 PM
Awesome info thanks man, this will save a lot of people some stress!

What about the ASUS ROG button where the NUMLOCK key usually is... can this be re-assigned? :)

Rares95
01-28-2015, 03:08 PM
I'll look into it.

Roma22990
02-03-2015, 12:42 PM
If anyone knows how to make the Shadowplay Button work, please leave a comment. I did all the steps it says you must do and it still doesn't do anything.

Bro i suffered the same way as you and yet nobody helped me...so listen well...this is what youve got to do....go to the following site and download the ATK driver...then run setup and uninstall the one which is already installed in your pc...then restart your pc and reinstall it and again restart your pc...then go to your nvidia experience app and click preferences and select shadowplay and make sure you already activated shadowplay before this...then finally check the part where it says keyboard shortcuts and put your shadowplay key as your recording on/off key...then run your game and check your shadowplay key buy pressing it...works like a charm!!!!

J__X2
02-07-2015, 06:55 AM
I keep getting a error saying the folder is in use...

Sargatanas
02-08-2015, 07:21 AM
does anybody know if there is also a possibility to Change the Timing of the Asus ROG logo?
at the Moment it is only glowing when the Notebook is on and opened - I'd like to have it always on, even with closed Display (ofc only when the Notebook is on)

Rares95
02-08-2015, 08:58 PM
I keep getting a error saying the folder is in use...

Make a COPY, modify that, then replace the original with the modified COPY.

J__X2
02-09-2015, 11:17 PM
Make a COPY, modify that, then replace the original with the modified COPY.

I did that but the error I kept getting was that the app was open. I just took it off of the task manager. Sorry my fault... wasn't thinking. Thanks!

dezGusty
02-14-2015, 03:57 PM
Hey, in case anyone would prefer to have the ShadowPlay button behave like the ESC key, try this little utility:
https://github.com/dezGusty/esc_kpu/releases

It also involves overwriting "ATKRecHelp.exe", but the executable will simulate the ESC key being pressed and released.

2menijulia
02-15-2015, 06:27 PM
what i did was i did in the win 8.1 on my win 10.. and boom..all ok..yup..i am on dual boot

cannot seem to find the workaround on changing the file...had same error as above previous post...been doing said instructions...but to no avail

so good thing i was on dual boot

thanks man for the code on the STEAM BUTTON :D

DoubleA7
02-17-2015, 03:58 PM
If you still need it, i found a fix, you have to shut down hcontrol.exe in steam to be able to change the file.

JerJer123
02-22-2015, 01:27 AM
So is there anyway we can remap the shadowplay/steambuttons to something else or just completely disable them?

XOIIO
03-06-2015, 07:48 AM
Hey all, I made a slightly different version as the one in the original post opens steam to games but won't do anything afterwards, this one instead does that but uses the nav command to also reopen the window to the games library which I find much better.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bx3d7u4ds4cnioa/HControl.exe?dl=0

HazGra
03-20-2015, 06:25 PM
Neither of the two versions of HControl works with me. I am using win 8.1 on G751JT. Any suggestions?
NVM I didn't read what to do with the exe :rolleyes: got it 10x :)

Raffafari
03-23-2015, 02:57 PM
Changed my keyboard backlight settings, was a bit annoying turning off so fast so I set it to 10 minutes.
Thank you for this thread. =)

Swampthing
03-23-2015, 09:10 PM
Honestly I would prefer to set the BACKLIGHT timeout so that it NEVER times out. Always on. Does anyone know how to do this?

On a related note, does anyone know how to disable the touchpad when a mouse is plugged in? I used to be able to do this on other ASUS models but haven't figured out how to do it on the G751.

Rammstein874
03-24-2015, 12:30 AM
Anyone have a fix to make the Sweet ROG button open into anything we want yet?

Gps3dx
03-29-2015, 04:54 PM
Anyone have a fix to make the Sweet ROG button open into anything we want yet?

what i did was i did in the win 8.1 on my win 10.. and boom..all ok..yup..i am on dual boot
cannot seem to find the workaround on changing the file...had same error as above previous post...been doing said instructions...but to no avail
so good thing i was on dual boot
thanks man for the code on the STEAM BUTTON :D

Look at my thread HERE (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59604-***-GUIDE-Remap-Fn-keys-***)
it ain't perfect: sometime fn+F3/F4/F7/F9 doesn't works while all my other remaps works well ( fn+down/right/left ) - BUT I have already upload a creative fix for that.

Even WITHOUT my solution ( aka AsusNbKeys ) you can still have the ability to COMPLETELY CHANGE the "STEAM" fn key !
You do that by Hex editing of HContol.exe and inserting additional exe inside "c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam" root folder - the same level as steam.exe sits.
I think that method can work as well for links and cmd batch files - but i didn't tried that - I put my choosen exe inside steam's folder.
after that open HEX editor ( I use Notepad++ with HEX editor plugin ) and look for:
%s\Steam.exe "steam://open/bigpicture"
Change that string, so only the "%s\" is left, and the rest is 0 in HEX value ( look at the picture ).
then, after the %s\write the filename+extention of your own file ( in my case its an exe called "WCSwitcher" which I wrote to toggle the camera on/off - instead of going to the device manager and do that manually )
After you've made changes - save the Hcontrol.exe and replace the current working inside the ATK package folder ( C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey )
Hope this helps you.

P.SHere is an EXE for switching the g751GT camera on/off
(Download Here:47952)
It will work ONLY for those laptops having camera with ID *PID_B414&MI_00* ( the * means whatever )
As you can see, I mapped the STEAM button to this exe (WCSwitcher.exe) by manipulation the Hcontrol.exe with Hex edit - as I wrote above.
How to install: Download the Zip and Extractall files into "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam"
devcon.exe Should be under "C:\windows\SysWOW64".
Explanation for each file:
notifu.exe - is a program that enables launching balloon popups in the systray - so you can see the status of the camera switch.
I took it from HERE. (http://www.paralint.com/projects/notifu/)
devcon.exe - MS developer kit tool - It gives the ability to control devices through CMD.
WCSwitcher.exe is my own batch script (converted to exe using freeware "Advanced BAT to EXE Converter" (http://www.battoexeconverter.com/)) that switches the camera on/off as follows:

@ECHO OFF
CLS
@ECHO OFF
setLocal EnableDelayedExpansion

REM SET Name
REM SET Status
SET Device=*PID_B414^&MI_00*

set /a n=0
For /F "tokens=* delims=" %%a in ('devcon status "@%Device%"') DO (
set /a n+=1
set v!n!=%%a
)
set v >nul
REM echo ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For /F "tokens=2-5 delims= " %%N in ("%v2%") DO (
SET Name=%%N %%O %%P %%Q
)

For /F "tokens=3 delims= " %%S in ("%v3%") DO (
SET Status=%%S
)
REM echo ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
REM echo Device Named "%Name%" CURRENT Status is %Status%
IF %Status% EQU running. (
devcon disable "@%Device%" >nul
echo ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
echo Device "%Name%" is now DISABLED
echo ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\notifu.exe" /p "Camera Switcher" /m "%Name%, is now DISABLED" /d 5
)
IF %Status% EQU disabled. (
devcon enable "@%Device%" >nul
echo Device "%Name%" is now ENABLED
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\notifu.exe" /p "Camera Switcher" /m "%Name%, is now ENABLED" /d 5
)

Rares95
03-30-2015, 10:05 AM
Honestly I would prefer to set the BACKLIGHT timeout so that it NEVER times out. Always on. Does anyone know how to do this?

On a related note, does anyone know how to disable the touchpad when a mouse is plugged in? I used to be able to do this on other ASUS models but haven't figured out how to do it on the G751.

If you set the TurnOffKeybdLight in registry to something like 999999 it should do the trick. Download Asus Smart Gesture, it has the setting you are looking for

Gps3dx
03-30-2015, 08:46 PM
If you set the TurnOffKeybdLight in registry to something like 999999 it should do the trick. Download Asus Smart Gesture, it has the setting you are looking for

Mostly you are currect with your answer - the TurnOffKeybdLight registry value is in HEX not decimal... so 999999 HEX = 10066329 Decimal = 10066329 Seconds which are 116.508 Days....
so input FFFFFF will be, theoretical - "NEVER" :-)

Rammstein874
03-31-2015, 11:54 PM
Anyone know if we can change the ROG key to anything?

Gps3dx
04-01-2015, 09:49 PM
M8....
Have you READ AT ALL my latest posts, here in this thread ?
your answer is there, using my solution for remapping the fn keys.

Rammstein874
04-07-2015, 02:08 AM
I will check through it again

iso
05-17-2015, 09:55 PM
I did that but the error I kept getting was that the app was open. I just took it off of the task manager. Sorry my fault... wasn't thinking. Thanks!

are you resolve the problem ? Because for me doesnt work...

doubtfm
05-18-2015, 06:36 PM
There is an easier way to change the Steam Key not to go into Big Picture Mode. Go to your registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ASUS\ATK Package

Change the value of "SteamStartupMode" from 1 to 0

Reboot and you're done. No longer big picture mode. There is no easier way to remove shadowplay functionality other than deleting the ATKRecHelp.exe

Hope this helps!

iso
05-19-2015, 10:37 PM
I have replace HControl.exe with the other in safe mode, now all works, but i don't like this buton, its only for starting steam, not for using during activate steam.

Serge Ayotte
05-29-2015, 10:18 PM
THank you for the reg key, but is there a way to have the kbd light at boot up, not just after logging in?

xjhettx
06-26-2015, 10:11 AM
Hi, is there a process on how to turn it "OFF" during the unit is already "OFF"? As for my case, the keyboard still lits up when my unit isalready "Shutdown"

Iroozy
08-15-2015, 02:43 PM
There is an easier way to change the Steam Key not to go into Big Picture Mode. Go to your registry:

Reboot and you're done. No longer big picture mode. There is no easier way to remove shadowplay functionality other than deleting the ATKRecHelp.exe

Hope this helps!

Total newbie here, but I don't see "SteamStartupMode" on the folder.

Anything suggestions?

Iroozy
08-16-2015, 05:09 AM
Ok, I fixed it.

You have to delete the original ATK Package file, then redownload it from here. http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=ATK+Package&p=3&s=588

You should then see it in your registry. Just as iso said, simply change the value from 1 to 0 and you are all set.

WEissbr0t
09-03-2015, 10:18 PM
HeyHo, i have created / compiled an .exe- File with Auto-IT. It replaced the ShadowPlay Recording- Feature on the ShadowPlay Button with the Windows 10 GameDVR Recording Method. What's not working is the small recording Indication LED on the ShadowPlay Key. But as you may guess; it will only work with Windows 10

TheWitcher
09-14-2015, 07:34 AM
HeyHo, i have created / compiled an .exe- File with Auto-IT. It replaced the ShadowPlay Recording- Feature on the ShadowPlay Button with the Windows 10 GameDVR Recording Method. What's not working is the small recording Indication LED on the ShadowPlay Key. But as you may guess; it will only work with Windows 10 can you host it somewhere?

Gps3dx
09-19-2015, 05:57 PM
THIS SOLUTION IS DEPRECATED !!
GO HERE FOR LATEST SOLUTION (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56496-G751-How-to-change-the-Steam-Shadowplay-buttons-and-Backlight-timeout-settings&p=538722&viewfull=1#post538722) !!!

Look at my thread HERE (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59604-***-GUIDE-Remap-Fn-keys-***)
it ain't perfect: sometime fn+F3/F4/F7/F9 doesn't works while all my other remaps works well ( fn+down/right/left ) - BUT I have already upload a creative fix for that.

Even WITHOUT my solution ( aka AsusNbKeys ) you can still have the ability to COMPLETELY CHANGE the "STEAM" fn key !
You do that by Hex editing of HContol.exe and inserting additional exe inside "c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam" root folder - the same level as steam.exe sits.
I think that method can work as well for links and cmd batch files - but i didn't tried that - I put my choosen exe inside steam's folder.
after that open HEX editor ( I use Notepad++ with HEX editor plugin ) and look for:
%s\Steam.exe "steam://open/bigpicture"
Change that string, so only the "%s\" is left, and the rest is 0 in HEX value ( look at the picture ).
then, after the %s\write the filename+extention of your own file ( in my case its an exe called "WCSwitcher" which I wrote to toggle the camera on/off - instead of going to the device manager and do that manually )
After you've made changes - save the Hcontrol.exe and replace the current working inside the ATK package folder ( C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey )
Hope this helps you.

SOLVED!!! RECONFIG ANY KEY ON G751JT/Y on Windows 10!!! (possibly also on any other ROG laptop)
I reported in the past that using "Asus notebook keys, v1.3" ( FROM THIS SOURCE (http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-notebook-keys-v1-3.150016) ) works on Windows 8.1
That program, after a little setup which I'll describe here for WINDOWS 10 ( should be the same on windows 8.1 ) GIVE THE ABILITY TO CONFIG ANY KEYBOARD BUTTON, INCLUDING SPECIAL ONE LIKE fn+key, "ShadowPlay", "Steam", etc.... ( BUT NOT m1,m2,m3 ) !!!!
Do you want to Map "ShadowPlay" to "ESC" instantly, without any delay ??? this guide is for you !

How to install:
1. install official Asus ATK driver "ATKPackage_Win10_64_VER100039"
2. Download the ZIPs I attach to this post and extract ----->>> 51714
3. Copy "AsusNbKeysCtrl.exe" + "AsusNbKeys.exe" to "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey"
4. Give them both permanent "Admin prevleges" by right-click->properties->compatability->"run this program as admin"
5. from within "ATK Hotkey" folder, SAVE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL FILE "HControl.exe" somewhere safe OUTSIDE OF "C" Drive !!!!
( because any file within C drive need to have admin prevleges inorder to be edited )
6. Now copy that backup again, and rename it "HControl.exe" so you'll be able to edit that exe.
7. EDIT "HControl.exe" by using any HEX-editing software (like the free Notepad++ with Hex addon) by FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE (http://www.asustreiber.de/forum/75-windows-7/27675-asus-atk-hotkeys-individualisieren)
Basicly, you search for unicode-string "ATK0100 AC EVENT %d" which ends with HEX value of "20 25 64".
Change these HEX value to "00 00 00", which removes the " %d" after the string "ATK0100 AC EVENT"
SAVE changes!!!
8. Make sure you've make step #5 !
only then, Copy the modded "HControl.exe" to "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey" - overwrite the existing
***if you cannot copy/overwrite HControl.exe", that is because that exe currently running.
Thus, open Task Manager and "end task" of that exe.
then return to copy/overwrite the file.
How to Config a key:
1. open "AsusNbKeysCtrl.exe" and configure any key to your liking
2. if you config a keyStroke there might be a "BUG" that causes "ctrl", "shift", "alt" to be "enabled" always, without the ability to disable them - BUT I now a hack for that:
A. Within "AsusNbKeysCtrl.exe", MAKE SURE you're in the middle of config of some key, meaning that you CAN change the "Keystroke" checkbox and its right-most drop-down-list settings & you see the "ctrl", "shift", "alt" checks ENABLED BUT GRAYED !
B. Now, download, extract "ProcessHacker" from THIS LINK ( make sure to run AS ADMIN(!) the x64 exe ! ) (http://sourceforge.net/projects/processhacker/files/processhacker2/processhacker-2.36-src.zip/download)
C. Then, with "ProcessHacker.exe" open, search for "AsusNbKeysCtrl.exe", right click it->"Misc.."->choose "Windows" -> another window popup.
D. Open the (only) tree benith "IME" ( supose to be a number like #32770 ) -> right click each of "ctrl+", "shift+", "alt+" -> choose "enabled"
E. Now, within "AsusNbKeysCtrl.exe", you're able to enable/disable them as you wish.
3. After EACH KEY config click "Save" !
4. After you've finish input/config -> PRESS "Stop AsusNbKeys process" -> Press "Sace all changes to system" -> manually run "AsusNbKeys.exe" from "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey"
*** DO NOT kill "AsusNbKeys.exe" from the TASK manager, accourding to AsusNbKeys Dev.

NOTE: ONLY known issue with this method is that F3,F4,F7, F9 original binding ( I.E key's brightness down/up, screen off, touchpad on/off ) don't respond - meaning that if you find an app/exe that can emulate this actions - LET US KNOW -> because if we remap these buttons -> ISSUE solved.

SHARE YOUR "AsusNbKeys" EXPERIENCE with us !!!
P.S - I'm NOT "AsusNbKeys" developer, so DO NOT ask me for any changes/upgrades/etc for AsusNbKeys.

Gps3dx
09-20-2015, 01:18 PM
GO HERE FOR LATEST SOLUTION (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56496-G751-How-to-change-the-Steam-Shadowplay-buttons-and-Backlight-timeout-settings&p=538722&viewfull=1#post538722) !!!

P.S - I'm NOT "AsusNbKeys" developer, so DO NOT ask me for any changes/upgrades/etc for AsusNbKeys.
Let me just say that after the long hours I put into solving this "puzzle" - someone reported that my guide is "Stolen"...Even thought I clearly wrote that i'm NOT the original developer of AsusNbKeys AND i've put links to credit the original authors posts !!!
Now i'm really mad !:mad:

Never-the-less.... I found the final solution to the following issues:

NOTE: ONLY known issue with this method is that F3,F4,F7, F9 original binding ( I.E key's brightness down/up, screen off, touchpad on/off ) don't respond - meaning that if you find an app/exe that can emulate this actions - LET US KNOW -> because if we remap these buttons -> ISSUE solved.
and

2. if you config a keyStroke there might be a "BUG" that causes "ctrl", "shift", "alt" to be "enabled" always, without the ability to disable them - BUT I now a hack for that:

So what I did is I read this post from another forum (http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-notebook-keys-v1-3.150016/page-23#post-8366254) ( so credit goes to "download1001s" and "NP_"->AsusNbKeys developer ) and wonders -> it works on win 10 x64 PARTIALLY ! -> how come ? well, the ATKOSD is older, and the touchpad on/off isn't responding BUT it is possible AsusNbKeys WITH WORKING keyboard backlight on/off ( F3+F4 ) and Screen off (F7) ! ( so half solution already ! )

To "update" the ATKOSD (which is the exe that gves you the GUI visual indication of the action you've pressed ) I've download the latest ATK for Win 10 x64 "ATKPackage_Win10_64_VER100039" from asus site, extracted "409.msi" and extracted the MSI installer (with the help of this post (http://superuser.com/questions/307678/how-to-extract-files-from-msi-package)) so I could have the installed files, withOUT actually install them. after that i've copied ATKOSD2 folder content to "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATKOSD2" -> SO NOW ATKOSD is updated.

To SOLVE TOUCHPAD ON/OFF (F9) not switching AT ALL i've took (from the previous extracted 409.msi) the file ElanTPCfg64.exe and replaced the existing, which sits in "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey". I also took "ElanTPCfg.exe" but its not importent as on x64 OS I've installed x64 ELAN touchpad driver and this file is probably for the x32 version of ELAN driver, which isn't necessary in most cases.

So to sum all up in the next post...

Gps3dx
09-20-2015, 11:32 PM
THE GUIDE WAS TRANSFERRED TO ITS OWN NEW THREAD LINKED HERE. (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?87213-HOW-TO-REMAP-FN-KEY-and-special-buttons-quot-Steam-quot-quot-ROG-quot-amp-quot-ShadowPlay-quot&p=605307#post605307)
since this guide grow larger and larger, and this thread's title doesn't reflect at all any of what this app/guide can offer the ROG community and the hard work that was put into updating AsusNbKeys, I decided to open up a new thread, something I rarely do, and for the benefits of the ROG community.

JamakeMan
09-30-2015, 08:39 AM
Please, can you make a video tutorial to this ;)

dunedune
10-14-2015, 07:07 AM
The file has been deleted , please re upload it :(

Gps3dx
10-17-2015, 05:40 PM
How to remap "ROG"51987 button as "NumLock"
As "AsusNbKeys" doesn't support it out-of-the-box

Perform the guide above (HOW TO CONFIG ANY FN COMBO (fn+key)) to the letter !
Create new txt file somewhere safe, that you DON'T delete AT ALL with the following content:
( like "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey" folder )

If Not WScript.Arguments.Named.Exists("elevate") Then
CreateObject("Shell.Application").ShellExecute WScript.FullName _
, WScript.ScriptFullName & " /elevate", "", "runas", 1
WScript.Quit
End If

set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
objShell.sendkeys "{NumLock}"
* Explanation: the 1st part runs the vbs script with admin privileges. this needed so you can use the remap feature even during full-screen games, not just during desktop work.
2nd part is the command to issue an emulated press on"NumLock"
save the changes & rename the file NumLock.vbs ( or WHATEVER.vbs )
open AsusNbKeysCtrl
Press "add new event" -> immediately press "ROG"51987 button.
Tick the "Execute file" and choose "c:\Windows\System32\wscript.exe".
under "Parameters" add //nologo then the FULL PATH to the VBS file you've created INSIDE DOUBLE EQUATE !
Example:
//nologo "PATH\NumLock.vbs"
Please NOTE: the PATH MUST BE compatible with MS-DOS 8.3 filename structure !
I.E 6 letters + "~#" while # is the number of repeated appearance of the 6 letters".
Example:
//nologo "C:\Progra~2\Asus\ATKPac~1\NumLock.vbs"
Explanation: "Progra~2" = "Program Files (x86)" NOT "Program Files", because that folder is 2nd in alphabet order !
Explanation: "ATKPac~1" = ATK Package
* You can find the compatible msdos 8.3 path name by opening CMD in the dir you have your VBS file and run the following command:
for %I in (.) do echo %~sI
Press "Save"
Press "Save changes to system" and enjoy your "new" NumLock button.

Just added a section about how to transform/REMAP "ROG"51987 button to be a "NumLock" key.
Enjoy :o

I don't plan to do a video guide as the writen guide is simple.
if you ppl got question, if some step is not understood, please reply with questions.

What file ?

Gps3dx
10-20-2015, 09:53 PM

GO HERE FOR LATEST SOLUTION (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56496-G751-How-to-change-the-Steam-Shadowplay-buttons-and-Backlight-timeout-settings&p=538722&viewfull=1#post538722)!!!

As I updated *yet again*, the main guide I wrote (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56496-G751-How-to-change-the-Steam-Shadowplay-buttons-and-Backlight-timeout-settings&p=538722&viewfull=1#post538722), with a new version of AsusnBKeys that supports Num/Caps/Scroll Lock keys.
Thus, the following mini-guide is NOT necessary anymore and is deprecated and not recommended.
Nevertheless, I care that others might learn from my *tricks*, thus I publish the deprecated method here:

As "AsusNbKeys" doesn't support it out-of-the-box
NOTE: THIS METHOD IS DEPRECATED THERE IS A BETTER NEWER SOLUTION IN THIS THREAD (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56496-G751-How-to-change-the-Steam-Shadowplay-buttons-and-Backlight-timeout-settings&p=538722&viewfull=1#post538722)

Perform the guide above (HOW TO CONFIG ANY FN COMBO (fn+key)) to the letter !
Create new txt file somewhere safe, that you DON'T delete AT ALL with the following content:
( like "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey" folder )

If Not WScript.Arguments.Named.Exists("elevate") Then
CreateObject("Shell.Application").ShellExecute WScript.FullName _
, WScript.ScriptFullName & " /elevate", "", "runas", 1
WScript.Quit
End If

set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
objShell.sendkeys "{NumLock}"
* Explanation: the 1st part runs the vbs script with admin privileges. this needed so you can use the remap feature even during full-screen games, not just during desktop work.
2nd part is the command to issue an emulated press on"NumLock"
save the changes & rename the file NumLock.vbs ( or WHATEVER.vbs )
open AsusNbKeysCtrl
Press "add new event" -> immediately press "ROG"51987 button.
Tick the "Execute file" and choose "c:\Windows\System32\wscript.exe".
under "Parameters" add //nologo then the FULL PATH to the VBS file you've created INSIDE DOUBLE EQUATE !
Example:
//nologo "PATH\NumLock.vbs"
Please NOTE: the PATH MUST BE compatible with MS-DOS 8.3 filename structure !
I.E 6 letters + "~#" while # is the number of repeated appearance of the 6 letters".
Example:
//nologo "C:\Progra~2\Asus\ATKPac~1\NumLock.vbs"
Explanation: "Progra~2" = "Program Files (x86)" NOT "Program Files", because that folder is 2nd in alphabet order !
Explanation: "ATKPac~1" = ATK Package
* You can find the compatible msdos 8.3 path name by opening CMD in the dir you have your VBS file and run the following command:

for %I in (.) do echo %~sI
Press "Save"
Press "Save changes to system" and enjoy your "new" NumLock button.

front360
10-28-2015, 09:17 AM
THank you for the reg key, but is there a way to have the kbd light at boot up, not just after logging in?

I was looking into this too, it would make typing the Windows password in the dark, a little easier. Anyone have any luck doing it?
Thanks in advance.

Gps3dx
11-05-2015, 11:06 AM
I was looking into this too, it would make typing the Windows password in the dark, a little easier. Anyone have any luck doing it?
Thanks in advance.
this has something to do with when and how "startup items" get loaded when you log into windows.
note that I wrote "log into", as it happens only then - as the "login-screen" isn't "belongs" to any user on the system.
I even tried to search an option using windows's "task scheduler" - but these task commands also does NOT work while you're logged-off.

As I understand the only way to bypass it, so the ATK exe & services will load on the "log-in" screen is to heavily modify the registry or windows system files, that actually responsible for the OS's referral into "login screen" when the system loads up ( also, when you log-off, it is a different scenario ).
I know through some VB coding you can do that... but m8, this is headache stuff - even for me ( look at my guides below to understand that statement ).

lastly, I must tell you that whenever I reboot/power on my G751JT, the backlight light automaticly, and it cannot get changed until you log-in, wait few sec till ATK stuff loads up, then I can control the backlight.
See my guide: HOW TO CONFIG ANY FN+key Inc. "ShadowPlay", "Steam" | REMAP "ROG" as "NumLock" (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?p=538722#post538722).
maybe the old ATK version i'm using ( as mentioned in the guide ) causes this welcome behavior.

s+0db
11-23-2015, 01:36 AM
Thanks to all, esp Gps3dx, for this extraordinary work to solve these issues. After reading through it and trying to digest it I have come to the conclusion that it is beyond me. What is simple to some is overwhelming to others. I would most certainly screw this up and be even more frustrated. Perhaps ASUS will consider making a complete key controller for us.

Gps3dx
11-24-2015, 01:34 PM

Thanks to all, esp Gps3dx, for this extraordinary work to solve these issues. After reading through it and trying to digest it I have come to the conclusion that it is beyond me.

I've update the main guide to make it more simple (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56496-G751-How-to-change-the-Steam-Shadowplay-buttons-and-Backlight-timeout-settings&p=538722&viewfull=1#post538722) - no more the need to use CMD commands or manually HEX edit a file.
It is Just downloads of zips, running setup.exe installers and copy files between folders.
I hope this will help you.

gtharea
12-20-2015, 01:36 PM
I've update the main guide to make it more simple (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56496-G751-How-to-change-the-Steam-Shadowplay-buttons-and-Backlight-timeout-settings&p=538722&viewfull=1#post538722) - no more the need to use CMD commands or manually HEX edit a file.
It is Just downloads of zips, running setup.exe installers and copy files between folders.
I hope this will help you.

Thank you for the guide. I noticed that the keyboard backlight no longer turns off automatically using these drivers/settings. Is this normal behavior? Is there a way to restore backlight timeout? thanks

Gps3dx
12-20-2015, 06:04 PM
Thank you for the guide. I noticed that the keyboard backlight no longer turns off automatically using these drivers/settings. Is this normal behavior? Is there a way to restore backlight timeout? thanks
check the 1st few posts of this thread... it talks about some registry values for this..
if with this *old* driver version these registry values aren't in the same place... try to perform a search of the registry item name.

SWS90
12-30-2015, 05:59 PM
Hello.
I recently got the ASUS ROG G751JL-BBI7T29 for Christmas and reallly enjoying it.
For some reason when I edit the TurnOffKeybdLight value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ASUS\ATK Package to the time I want (2 seconds) then reboot, the change I made is still there in the registry, but nothing changes with the actual backlight timer.
If someone needs to see my registry values for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ASUS\ATK Package then here they are http://puu.sh/mdROK/8bca5a3d30.png
I don't know what's going on.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Gps3dx
12-30-2015, 10:09 PM
Hello.
I recently got the ASUS ROG G751JL-BBI7T29 for Christmas and reallly enjoying it.
For some reason when I edit the TurnOffKeybdLight value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ASUS\ATK Package to the time I want (2 seconds) then reboot, the change I made is still there in the registry, but nothing changes with the actual backlight timer.
If someone needs to see my registry values for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ASUS\ATK Package then here they are http://puu.sh/mdROK/8bca5a3d30.png
I don't know what's going on.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
I guess you got win10 installed ?
then turn any internet connection OFF ( wifi/eth etc.. ), make the registry changes, then reboot - see if that helps ( you need to do it one time only )

SWS90
12-30-2015, 11:57 PM
I guess you got win10 installed ?
then turn any internet connection OFF ( wifi/eth etc.. ), make the registry changes, then reboot - see if that helps ( you need to do it one time only )

Yes, I do have Windows 10 installed.
I tried disabling my Wifi, making the change again and then rebooting.
Nothing has changed at all. Still the same as before.

Rares95
01-04-2016, 01:14 PM
I added a 5 second option to the registry fix archive.

Gps3dx
01-04-2016, 04:39 PM
Yes, I do have Windows 10 installed.
I tried disabling my Wifi, making the change again and then rebooting.
Nothing has changed at all. Still the same as before.

I added a 5 second option to the registry fix archive.
Glad to see that you continue to update the OP :o- keep it going :rolleyes:
A small request.. do you mind adding a link to my guide for AsusNBkeys (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56496-G751-How-to-change-the-Steam-Shadowplay-buttons-and-Backlight-timeout-settings&p=538722&viewfull=1#post538722) in your OP ?
big thanks :-)

Antibiotic
02-05-2016, 08:49 PM
I just wanted to turn ShadowPlay button into Esc and I had Visual Studio so I've made a copy of C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey\ATKRecHelp.exe and replaced it with a small program you can compile with any C/C++ compiler.

#define WINVER 0x0500
#include <windows.h>

int main(int argc, const char* argv[])
{
INPUT ip;
ip.type = INPUT_KEYBOARD;
ip.ki.wScan = MapVirtualKey(VK_ESCAPE, MAPVK_VK_TO_VSC);
ip.ki.time = 0;
ip.ki.dwExtraInfo = 0;
ip.ki.wVk = 0;
ip.ki.dwFlags = KEYEVENTF_SCANCODE;
SendInput(1, &ip, sizeof(INPUT));
ip.ki.dwFlags = KEYEVENTF_SCANCODE | KEYEVENTF_KEYUP;
SendInput(1, &ip, sizeof(INPUT));
return 0;
}
It sends ESC signal to Windows, so you can have a second ESC key instead of ShadowPlay button.
It does not work perfectly, though. I tested in on Witcher 3 and I works for closing descriptions and inner menus but does not open/close main menu. I guess it's because Direct Input can use drivers directly, without Windows signal system.

Here is source file and a version compiled with MSVC 2013 for x64: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4_ThF56XeApZ05ERFFlUU02Z2s&usp=sharing
If you want to compile it with MSVC - set application type to Windows application and entry point to mainCRTStartup to get rid of the console.
If you'll just download a binary it may require some runtime libraries, though it should not. Can't check it, because I for sure have them.
If the program gives you an error about not finding some dlls - google and download them, you'll need them anyway some day.

Gps3dx
02-06-2016, 02:55 PM
I just wanted to turn ShadowPlay button into Esc and I had Visual Studio so I've made a copy of C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey\ATKRecHelp.exe and replaced it with a small program you can compile with any C/C++ compiler.

If you want to compile it with MSVC - set application type to Windows application and entry point to mainCRTStartup to get rid of the console.
If you'll just download a binary it may require some runtime libraries, though it should not. Can't check it, because I for sure have them.
If the program gives you an error about not finding some dlls - google and download them, you'll need them anyway some day.
Thank you for that info share.
I'm not sure my following request is necessary at all in term of utilization requirements on newer OSs:
As most ROG laptops in the last 2 years uses windows 8/8.1/10 - Can you please compile a version with the corresponding "WINVER" for them ? (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6sehtctf.aspx)
You might need to update to win10 SDK for MSCV 2013 to compile it.

I tried to run you current bin file, on my win 10 home x64 ( G751JT), but the app doesn't "stick" running in the background ( although I gave him admin privileges ).
I currently have the following runtimes installed: HERE (https://www.dropbox.com/s/iulcdcc34ymxn5v/RunTimes.jpg?dl=0) ( sorry, some bug in the forum doesn't allows me to upload the photo )

Antibiotic
02-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Can you please compile a version with the corresponding "WINVER" for them ? (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6sehtctf.aspx)

Low WINVER does not mean it would not run on higher versions. It just defines the lowest version in could be run on. I have Win 10 x64 Home as well and it works.

I tried to run you current bin file, on my win 10 home x64 ( G751JT), but the app doesn't "stick" running in the background ( although I gave him admin privileges ).
I currently have the following runtimes installed: HERE (https://www.dropbox.com/s/iulcdcc34ymxn5v/RunTimes.jpg?dl=0) ( sorry, some bug in the forum doesn't allows me to upload the photo )
Every time you press ShadowPlay button ATKRecHelp.exe is executed. So it's not a service or something. It just send a signal and quit each time you press the button. You will not see it in Task manager, because it do it's job and quit in milliseconds.
About runtimes - if there would be something wrong with them you would get a messagebox about missing dlls. If there is no one - you are fine.

Just try it in games.

Gps3dx
02-06-2016, 05:22 PM
Low WINVER does not mean it would not run on higher versions. It just defines the lowest version in could be run on. I have Win 10 x64 Home as well and it works.

Every time you press ShadowPlay button ATKRecHelp.exe is executed. So it's not a service or something. It just send a signal and quit each time you press the button. You will not see it in Task manager, because it do it's job and quit in milliseconds.
About runtimes - if there would be something wrong with them you would get a messagebox about missing dlls. If there is no one - you are fine.

Just try it in games.
oh... I see... thanks for the explanation.
I tried using your bin file through AsusNbKeys keybinding ( i.e ESC = you bin file exec ) Vs AsusNbKeys internal ESC emulation.
The problem you describe happens to me 2 on different games - some places of the game it sees the keybinding no problem - other place like it's never been config at all.
I can tell you that the internal keybinding of AsusNbKeys at least works partially in situations where your bin file didn't at all ( Internal keybinding works only after pressing x2 or x3 times on the REC button, with different pace - but trying that *trick* with your app, it didn't response at all.

its like when you inside game, the game "hijack" your keyboard input "parser"... there is a need to think about a solution that pressing a button inside a game, bypasses that "hijacking", and tells the OS that the button was pressed out-side of the game environment, but that the output should be inserted afterwards in the game environment.

Antibiotic
02-06-2016, 05:50 PM
its like when you inside game, the game "hijack" your keyboard input "parser"... there is a need to think about a solution that pressing a button inside a game, bypasses that "hijacking", and tells the OS that the button was pressed out-side of the game environment, but that the output should be inserted afterwards in the game environment.
Googled a little bit. It seems you need to write an Virtual Device Driver for that. Which means tonnes of code and system crash on any error. Nope, I'm not gonna do it. :D

Gps3dx
02-06-2016, 06:09 PM
Googled a little bit. It seems you need to write an Virtual Device Driver for that. Which means tonnes of code and system crash on any error. Nope, I'm not gonna do it. :D
simple problems always have complicated answers eh ? :o
Anyway... I think our "community" solutions for the keyboard binding issues is fulfilled in the best way we know - and it is a well done achievements as they are, in their current state.
Even Gamers need to know compromises in their gaming lives. :rolleyes:

xyz_cityhunter
02-18-2016, 02:27 PM
--------- GUIDE: HOW TO CONFIG FN COMBO (fn+key) ---------

------- INCLUDING "ShadowPlay"51727, "Steam"51723, "ROG"51987 --------
List of remap-able fn+Key ( i.e Which Keys can be remap together with fn ):
1, T, C, V, F3, F4, F7, F9, Num Enter,(arrows, not num) ↑, ↓, →, ←, Shadowplay, Steam, ROG
( NOTE - that m1,m2,m3 buttons CANNOT be remap using this method, for this you should use "Asus ROG MacroKey" (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win10/ASUS_ROG_MacroKey/ROG_MacroKey_Win10_64_VER10029.zip))

UNINSTALL ANY PREVIOUS ATK driver !!!
Download and INSTALL (don't restart afterwards) "ATK_Package_win7_32_Z100008" ( yes x32 !!! ) from ASUS SUPPORT SITE:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/ATKPackage/ATK_Package_win7_32_Z100008.zip (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/ATKPackage/ATK_Package_win7_32_Z100008.zip),
run Setup.exe as ADMIN.
Download & Extract "Asus Notebook Keys Installer.zip" ---> 53822
( Source & Credit: download1001s from (http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-notebook-keys-v1-3.150016/page-23#post-8366254) notebookreview.com forums (http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-notebook-keys-v1-3.150016/).)
Install "Asus Notebook Keys\setup.exe"
Note: This installer will autorun "AsusNbKeys.exe" during startup - do NOT disable it otherwise the fn keys remap won't work !
ONLY then, Copy HControl.exe from above extracted folder into "ATK Hotkey" & overwrite the existing file.
("ATK Hotkey" default path: "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey")

Because we've installed old version of ATK package ( So we can get AsusNbKeys to interact with ATK package ),
we need to update some files to get Win 8.1/10 support (which fixes touchpad toggle & on-screen atk action animations), thus the need to do the following step:
Download "AsusNbKeys_Win8_10_FIX.zip" (http://www.multiupfile.com/f/eaca5f65), extract & OVERWRITE the files under "ATK Package" folder.
("ATK Package" default path: "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\)

UPDATE AsusNbKeysCtrl.exe & AsusNbKeys.exe using the LATEST version from the guide just below (i.e "How to remap "ROG" button as "NumLock") by OVERWRITE the exist files in "AsusNbKeys" folder.
( AsusNbKeys default dir:"C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\AsusNbKeys" )
(Optional) if you don't like fn+arrows ( right, left, up, down ) to function as media controller that controls ONLY windows media player -> Disable "DMedia" in msconfig.exe !!!!
How to ?
Press Start/win Button -> type 'msconfig' and hit Enter -> Startup tab -> uncheck DMedia in Startup Item column.
Note, that AsusNbKeysCtrl.exe comes with the arrows key presets preconfigured with "global" media operations like play/pause, stop, next/previous song - you can change it using AsusNbKeysCtrl.exe.

if you DO like it -> leave DMedia runing at startup BUT remove the preconfigured 4 preset that already are found inside "AsusNbKeysCtrl.exe" by running the app and remove these 4 presets.
( AsusNbKeysCtrl.exe found by default in "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\AsusNbKeys" )
Restart to apply the new settings.
without restart -> ATK package won't work -> thus, AsusNbKeys won't work !
That's it -> enjoy remapping all of the FN keys

SHARE YOUR "AsusNbKeys" EXPERIENCE with us !!!
Note: I'm NOT "AsusNbKeys" developer, so DO NOT ask me for any changes/upgrades/etc for AsusNbKeys.
Credits: download1001s (http://forum.notebookreview.com/members/download1001s.490789/), NP_ (http://forum.notebookreview.com/members/np_.56046/) from notebookreview.com forums (http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-notebook-keys-v1-3.150016/).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
using tweaked & updated version of AsusNbKeys (v1.5)
modded by Gps3dx, Original Development by NP_

What's *NEW* in 'AsusNbKeys v1.5' ?

Added New sticky keystrokes: Win button !!!
Some GUI adjustments: resize & move

What's *NEW* in 'AsusNbKeys v1.4' ?

Added New keystrokes: Num / Scroll / Caps Lock !!!
Added New keystrokes: Windows Start, Windows Menu !!!
Few GUI grayed/not grayed fixes

How to use ?

Perform the above guide, (HOW TO CONFIG ANY FN COMBO (fn+key)), to the letter !
Download the attached AsusNbKeys zip & extract, overwrite/replace "AsusNbKeysCtrl.exe" & "AsusNbKeys.exe" with the latest updated version of 'AsusNBkeys'
( AsusNbKeys default dir:"C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\AsusNbKeys" )

Latest Version:
Download AsusNbKeys v1.5 : 53391
Source Code:53392
OLD VERSION (!!!):
Download AsusNbKeys v1.4 : 53098
Source Code:53099

PLEASE TEST AND REPORT ANY BUG !

Few notes:

emulation of numlock might NOT work if you're running a game (fullscreen?).
nevertheless, I published another guide with a solution that works within games (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56496-G751-How-to-change-the-Steam-Shadowplay-buttons-and-Backlight-timeout-settings&p=545647&viewfull=1#post545647), but the downside is a delay of ~1sec from pushing the key till the numlock toggles.
The AsusNbKeys v1.4+ Fixes/Updates are my *original* work, But I give full credit to the original 'AsusNBkeys' developer, NP_ from "forum.notebookreview.com" (http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-notebook-keys-v1-3.150016/).
I compiled the source code with Visual Studio 2015, thus the file size of "AsusNbKeysCtrl.exe" is ~1.8MB, I.E x8 bigger then the originally unknown V.S that NP_ used.
Thus, I would love to hear tips&advises to help me fine tune the compiling process to get a smaller exe.
All of the source code, with my latest updates is publish here, together with the compiled/binary exe file.

Tried this but the touchpad toogle still doesn't work for me... :confused:

EDIT: Digging deeper into the problem and i found out that my touchpad driver is just a generic one, went to install the Elantect driver and now the touchpad toogle is working perfectly... Thanks for the details provided in the manual way which gave me some hint on where to troubleshoot this problem... :p

Gps3dx
02-18-2016, 09:19 PM
Tried this but the touchpad toogle still doesn't work for me... :confused:

EDIT: Digging deeper into the problem and i found out that my touchpad driver is just a generic one, went to install the Elantect driver and now the touchpad toogle is working perfectly... Thanks for the details provided in the manual way which gave me some hint on where to troubleshoot this problem... :p

Thanks for the reply.
I'll emphysis the need for Asus's touchpad driver as a requisite.

Also, note that my "AsusNbKeys_Win8_10_FIX.zip (http://www.multiupfile.com/f/eaca5f65)" fix includes necessary files for both types of asus's touchpad drivers as follows:
( i.e ElanTPCfg*.* for Elan driver and AsusTPCfg*.* for Smart Gesture driver )

Windows 8.1
(x64)
Windows 10
(x64)

Touchpad:
(Elan driver) (http://support.asus.com.cn/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=touchpad&os=41)
Touchpad:
Smart Gesture (http://support.asus.com.cn/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=smart+gesture&os=45)

I'll update the guide with these links also

xyz_cityhunter
02-20-2016, 08:32 AM
And the most download links for the AsusNbKeys_Win8_10_FIX.zip are expired, I only manage to get it from the ZippyShare while the rest are all dead.

Gps3dx
02-20-2016, 05:02 PM
And the most download links for the AsusNbKeys_Win8_10_FIX.zip are expired, I only manage to get it from the ZippyShare while the rest are all dead.
Thanks for that update.
I've changed the download link of this file to be dropbox, thus issue solved.

Download "AsusNbKeys_Win8_10_FIX.zip" (https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0ndcfy0xv6won3/AsusNbKeys_Win8_10_FIX.zip?dl=0), extract & OVERWRITE the files under "ATK Package" folder.
("ATK Package" default path: "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\).

EDIT:
I've also updated the guide with the following:

What's *NEW* in 'AsusNbKeys v1.6' ?

"Stop AsusNbKey Process" button changed to "Restart AsusNbKey Process",
Thus you kill and start 'AsusNbKeys.exe' from within the AsusNbKeysCtrl GUI app with only one press of a button.

Gps3dx
04-02-2016, 08:50 PM
It's about time I dedicated a post about:
Solutions to Keyboard Backlight Issues (Fn+F3/F4)
due to SW or HW source

Solutions for SW issue ( Most common, start with this list ! )

Wrong/Bad installed ATK driver due to Wrong bit (32/64) version / Wrong windows version etc.. (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?62556-Asus-GL551JW-DS71-Keyboard-Backlight-Issue&p=542781&viewfull=1#post542781)
Missing Startup Item / A related service isn't running (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?30231-G75VW-Keyboard-BackLight-Won-t-Turn-On&p=546277&viewfull=1#post546277)

Solutions for HW issue ( Least likely to happen, but possible )

BUGGED/Bad BIOS or "it happens after windows update" (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11077-HELP-Backlit-Keyboard-not-working!&p=77582&viewfull=1#post77582) -> Reflash/update/downgrade BIOS !!! (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?80322-ASUS-ROG-G751JY-210-Bios-memory-issue&p=556344&viewfull=1#post556344)
KB's connector (ribbon cable) miss-connected to the motherboard (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?62556-Asus-GL551JW-DS71-Keyboard-Backlight-Issue&p=544021&viewfull=1#post544021)-> open laptop and reconnect the KB ribbon proprly.
if any of the above helped... perform the following guide, aka "Keyboard Light Fix (Gary Key)":
( NOTE: please know there is a RISK OF ENDING WITH A BRICKED BIOS if something done not correctly ! )
( Source&Credit: Gary Key (http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/keyboard-light-fix-gary-key.513264/) & ziddy123 (http://forum.notebookreview.com/members/ziddy123.312769/) from forum.notebookreview.com (http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/keyboard-light-fix-gary-key.513264/) )
All the quoted files can be download from the attached: 56719
** This method was reported to work even on G750JM (http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/keyboard-light-fix-gary-key.513264/page-15#post-9804864) ( Even though it was developed for the G73JH ) **

...are three compressed folders within the downloaded file.
The fine people at HP produced an excellent USB Disk Tool that allows you to create a bootable USB Flash Drive and this program is located in the HPUSBDisk(rar) folder.
In order to create a bootable drive you will also need the required DOS files and the nice personnel at Microsoft provided these files in the Win98boot(rar) folder. Extract both folders to your hard drive and open the HP USB Disk tool and follow the instructions to create a clean bootable flash drive.
Additional instructions on how to do this are easily available via Google. After creating the bootable flash drive (FAT32 is the safest option) then you will want to extract the contents of the Fixmykb(rar) file to this drive.

For those of you who already have a bootable USB Flash Drive then you will want to extract the contents of the Fixmykb.rar file to this drive. Now you are ready to have the lights come on.

Boot into Windows and turn off the lights completely using the light switch button in the upper left corner on the keyboard deck. Insert your bootable USB flash drive with the Fixmykb.rar contents extracted on to it.
Reboot and quickly start tapping the Delete key to enter the BIOS. You will want to navigate to the Boot section of the BIOS and then change the Hard Drive boot settings on Option 1 to your Flash drive. Exit the BIOS while saving the settings and the unit should boot of the USB drive now.
Once you have booted off the USB drive, simply type fixmykb and you should see a flash completion screen immediately. Remove the flash drive and power down the system.
Wait ten seconds and then power up the system and enter Windows. Once in Windows, turn on the lights with the switch button and you should have a backlit keyboard now, use FN+F4 to brighten the keyboard or FN+F3 to dim it.If you have any questions or concerns please contact me. If this fix proves successful for you then it would be nice to hear it but more importantly if it did not work then we need you to PM me. I used this routine 500 times and it always returned the lights to working order on an approved ASUS BIOS. If you are using a modified BIOS, do not try this procedure without reverting back to an ASUS BIOS as it could render your system inoperable.
Sincerely,
Gary

JustinThyme
04-03-2016, 04:28 PM
Please keep in mind the above listed information is from Hewlett Packard in 2010 and Win7. All download links for the utility are in fact dead. There are far more recent posts (2014) from ASUS owners that this did not work, please refer to the original material posted at Notebook review. Try at your own risk if you can find a working download.

Gps3dx
04-03-2016, 06:40 PM
Solutions for HW issue ( Least likely to happen, but possible )

if any of the above helped... perform the following guide, aka "Keyboard Light Fix (Gary Key)":
( Source&Credit: Gary Key (http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/keyboard-light-fix-gary-key.513264/) & ziddy123 (http://forum.notebookreview.com/members/ziddy123.312769/) from forum.notebookreview.com (http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/keyboard-light-fix-gary-key.513264/) )
All the quoted files can be download from the attached: 56718
** This method was reported to work even on G750JM (http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/keyboard-light-fix-gary-key.513264/page-15#post-9804864) ( Even though it was developed for the G73JH ) **

Please keep in mind the above listed information is from Hewlett Packard in 2010 and Win7. All download links for the utility are in fact dead. There are far more recent posts (2014) from ASUS owners that this did not work, please refer to the original material posted at Notebook review. Try at your own risk if you can find a working download.
I'll appreciate if you can provide other posts/threads about the issue so I can update that small guide.

About Gary's files - the truth please... Haven't I upload the files in the previous post, prior to your comment ?
EDIT: for some unknown reason the attachment I provided didn't work up until now - Gary's files are accessible for any user in the forum.

About "Try at your own risk" - isn't it apply just about anything in a community based forum ?

JustinThyme
04-03-2016, 10:10 PM
I didn't post just to be wasting my less than stellar typing. I went over to Notebook review and read through the 6 year old thread in its entirety. I attempted to download there from several different sources, all dead and tried your link, dead also. If you got a copy and was able to post a link that works now, great. It wasnt at the time of my last posting.

This is higher risk than the usual as no one has tried it from what I read over there and got it to work on anything past Win7. Last of a working fix was 2014, all that have tried it on Win 8.1 failed, none posted Win 10.

Its a rarity that it is anything but the ATK Package that causes back light issues.

If I can get a working download Ill eyeball it and see what in there and if it applies to Win 8.1& Win 10 where some major changes were made. It would be awesome if it still works, just that no one has posted success lately.

Edit:
Downloaded your copy and extractred and eyeballed it. Other than a boot disk creation tool for Win 98 that was made in 2004 and launching MS DOS command prompt the root of what is in it is this command line in a batch file

bt -c cnfg /w dd 7c

It includes a bt.exe BIOS writing tool. This command is writing 7c at location dd.

The other end of the stick is the warning of if its not recognized as an ASUS BIOS you could finish up with a rather large brick.

Gps3dx
08-22-2016, 11:09 PM

------- USING "AsusNbKeys" --------

List of remap-able fn+Key ( i.e Which Keys can be remap together with fn ):
1, T, C, V, F3, F4, F7, F9, Num Enter,(arrows, not num) ↑, ↓, →, ←, Shadowplay, Steam, ROG

------------------------------ Tips: Useful Remaps------------------------------

I just finished updating my main "AsusNbKey" guide with useful remaps, (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?p=538722#post538722) made some order to the guide and added a "usage" guide for the users that asked for a better explanation.

Gps3dx
08-22-2016, 11:10 PM

------- USING "AsusNbKeys" --------

I've Just update my main "AsusNbKey" guide with useful remaps (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?p=538722#post538722), made some order to the guide and added a "usage" guide for the users that asked for a better explanation.

ShawnSham
02-01-2017, 02:04 AM
There is a ton to look over here and was wondering if someone would be kind enough to help me.

I simply need to be able to adjust the volume and screen brightness, without pressing the function key.

I do not want to use the on screen controls. I'd like to use my keyboard. Can someone please help?

Gps3dx
02-01-2017, 06:14 PM
There is a ton to look over here and was wondering if someone would be kind enough to help me.

I simply need to be able to adjust the volume and screen brightness, without pressing the function key.

I do not want to use the on screen controls. I'd like to use my keyboard. Can someone please help?
use nircmd (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html) freeapp ( google it ).
then you can make macro with the command:
nircmd.exe changebrightness -20
nircmd.exe changebrightness +20
etc...
it also got vol control in a similar matter.
I made exe that utilize nircmd.exe... 62289
so nircmd.exe must be in the same dir as the exe I upload here. ( I only made for brightness - don't got the time to do more, sorry ).

hexaae
01-11-2018, 11:42 AM

Hope this helps!
Exactly. No need to hex-edit HControl.exe or other hacks...
Tested with official ATK Version V1.0.0050 2016/10/17 (11.27 MB) "ATKPackage" https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G751JY/HelpDesk_Download/