PDA

View Full Version : G551JM overheating problem

anitokyo
01-18-2015, 02:10 AM
Hi. I just got my new Asus G551JM ROG laptop.

I am having an issue when it comes to playing games. At first, it starts with the power settings. The power settings i used first is the "balanced". The temps seemed normal around 30 degrees celsius as the idle and 50-60 degrees celsius as the temps when in use.

Now I have set the laptop's power to "high performance" and played a game (Sims 4, GTA 4, DOTA 2, Team Fortress 2) the temps increases to 80-90 Degree celsius at full load. all games were tweaked to high settings (except for GTA 4, i need to lower it to Medium for some reason).

I am now trying this solution found at this link: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55539-G751-Fan-Control-and-Overheating

to see if that would help me lower the temps.

But, is there any solution to keep the temps low as at least 60 or 50 when the laptop's power is on high performance at full load?

XsplaX
01-28-2015, 08:48 AM
use coolpad

NitroX
01-28-2015, 09:36 AM
Hi. I just got my new Asus G551JM ROG laptop.

I am having an issue when it comes to playing games. At first, it starts with the power settings. The power settings i used first is the "balanced". The temps seemed normal around 30 degrees celsius as the idle and 50-60 degrees celsius as the temps when in use.

Now I have set the laptop's power to "high performance" and played a game (Sims 4, GTA 4, DOTA 2, Team Fortress 2) the temps increases to 80-90 Degree celsius at full load. all games were tweaked to high settings (except for GTA 4, i need to lower it to Medium for some reason).

I am now trying this solution found at this link: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55539-G751-Fan-Control-and-Overheating

to see if that would help me lower the temps.

But, is there any solution to keep the temps low as at least 60 or 50 when the laptop's power is on high performance at full load?

You don't have why to worry about if the temps are going to 80-90 while heavy gaming. It would be ok to have a max temp of 80-85C but you won't ever be able to keep the temps as low as 60C while gaming. This is just how notebook hardware is made. They are made to run normally until 95-100C. After those temps are reached then it may be a problem.

What you could do is to use a coolpad, since the G551 doesn't have a very large cooling system like the G751, so it will help you a bit. Also, you could Undervolt your CPU to a stable value to lower the heat produced by it. Or just use the Intel XTU to set a maximum clock of 3200Ghz or something. That should also lower the temps but will also lower the performance a bit while in heady load.
I would recommend not using the NotebookFanControler since we haven't tested it for a G551 yet. Only for G751 models.

You can find information about Undervolt over here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52467-Got-your-new-G751JY-G751JT-G751JM-Post-your-review-temps-benchmark-results!&p=461645&viewfull=1#post461645 . With the same program you can also set your maximum CPU freq at whatever value you desire.

And I'm telling you again, don't worry about the temps reaching 80-90C. Indeed, it would be best to keep them under 90C but it is perfectly normal for a gaming machine. I am reaching 85-86 C in Crysis 3, with the G751 and an Undervolted CPU with a max freq of 3200 Mhz