PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Shutdown Consistently on G74SX-BBK7

gypsymoth
11-08-2011, 12:14 AM
I just bought a G74SX-BBK7 this weekend. It seems to have the keyboard missing keystrokes issue, which I hope to solve with the ATK discussion on this forum.

But one issue I haven't found any discussion on is that the wifi shuts down after a few minutes of use. Then to get it working again, I have to go to the network adapter, disable it, then re-enable it. Once it's working, I can use it for a few minutes before it shuts down again. The problem occurs consistently. The wireless card is an Intel Centrino-N with WiMAX card.

Later, I wiped the hard drive and installed Windows 7 Ultimate. I reinstalled the driver that I downloaded from ASUS. And the problem returned right off the bat.

So I unscrewed the wifi card, pulled it out, and reinserted to make sure it's seated properly. Booted up the computer, used the wifi for a few minutes and was down again.

Is this an isolated case? Or is anyone else having similar problems with the wifi card?

Chieh

BrodyBoy
11-08-2011, 12:35 AM
You're positive it's an Intel card? Asus usually uses Atheros.

If it definitely IS an Intel card:

Did Windows recognize the card and install a generic driver after the clean install? (Some, if not most, Intel cards already have Windows native support.) If it did, I'd suggest trying the Windows driver for awhile to see if it works better.

If not, I would go to the Intel Driver Update Utility (http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect) to help identify the appropriate driver for your card. Asus isn't always trustworthy with these things!

BrodyBoy
11-08-2011, 01:06 AM
Still there, gypsymoth? It's important to be sure exactly which card you have....before trying additonal Intel drivers.

dstrakele
11-08-2011, 01:10 AM
What is the Security Type and Encryption Type of your wireless connection as configured in your Wireless Router?

Does this match the Security Type and Encryption Type in the Properties of this Wireless Connection as configured on the laptop (Control Panel-Manage wireless connections, right-click on connection and choose Properties from the pop-up menu, then select the Security tab)?

A mismatch in Security Type or (particularly) Encryption Type between the router and Windows 7 on your laptop can cause the frequent disconnection behavior you report. In this case, the router is attempting to prevent an unauthorized wireless connection to your network. Checking the router logs would confirm this.

Is there another computer that successfully establishes a wireless connection with your router? Check how it is configured. Does it match your new ASUS laptop?

gypsymoth
11-08-2011, 01:21 AM
When I first booted up the computer, I noted that it is an Intel card. I remember reading Centrino-N + WiMAX 6150 or something. I just assumed it's correct. I'll double-check the actual hardware tonight. This thread also confirms this card: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?4591-G74SX-BBK7-First-Impressions-and-Widi-P2tv-3d-Questions

Windows did not install a driver for it right off the bat. I had to download the driver and go through "update driver" in Device Manager.

I'll try the "Intel Driver Update Utility" tonight.

Thanks.

gypsymoth
11-08-2011, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the reminder on wireless configuration, dstrakele. I do not use any encryption on the wireless router. Instead I use my own custom configuration and static IP. I believe the notebook is set-up correctly, as I have several other notebooks around the house and they are all set-up the same way.

But maybe there are some other issues or errors with router connectivity. Checking the router log is a good idea. I'll try that tonight.

I had wireless cards that have compatibilities problems with routers before. Maybe it is the same case here as well. It's too bad I don't have extra half-size PCIe wireless cards that I can swap out with this Intel one to try.

BrodyBoy
11-08-2011, 01:36 AM
When I first booted up the computer, I noted that it is an Intel card. I remember reading Centrino-N + WiMAX 6150 or something. I just assumed it's correct.
Check the hardware ID to be sure. If the wrong driver is installed, it can say "Intel" in several places, even when it's not an Intel card.

dstrakele
11-08-2011, 02:11 AM
I do not use any encryption on the wireless router. Instead I use my own custom configuration and static IP. I believe the notebook is set-up correctly, as I have several other notebooks around the house and they are all set-up the same way.

I will assume the static IP for your new ASUS is not accidentally the same as another system on your network.

JRd1st
11-08-2011, 10:51 AM
If you have Wireless Console 3 installed, be sure your WLAN is enabled. I think it's fn+f2, or dbl-click Wireless Console 3 from the tray, then look at the animation that pops up and if it's disabled click it to enable.

gypsymoth
11-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Thank you all for all your help. I took your ideas and went down the list and found the problem.

First, I opened up the bottom panel and check the wireless network card. It says Intel Centrino Wireless-N + WiMAX. Then I used the Intel Driver Update Utility, which seems to indicate my Intel drivers are all valid and current.

Next, I tried different routers with the laptop. I tried it with a wireless G router, while moving the laptop to the living room. It had no problem. Then I tried it again with the wireless N router, while the laptop is still in the living room. It had no problems either (shock). That was the combination which failed before.

So I moved the notebook back to the room where I want to set it up, which is in the same room as the wireless N and wireless G routers. The laptop works fine with the wireless G router in this room. But as soon as I switched to the wireless N router, the wireless network adapter shuts down.

It seems that for some reason, the shortness in distance causes the card to fail. Perhaps there are signal interferences. Or compatibility issue with this wireless N router.

Thank you all for helping me troubleshoot this issue. It's not a problem for me anymore, because I was going to use a wired connection for this computer anyway. I wanted to be sure that the wireless card works in case I travel or want to move it to a different room. It seems that the wireless card works just fine.

Chieh

JRd1st
11-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Glad it worked out for you.

Do you have a 5GHz wireless phone in that room?

BrodyBoy
11-08-2011, 06:37 PM
First, I opened up the bottom panel and check the wireless network card. It says Intel Centrino Wireless-N + WiMAX. Then I used the Intel Driver Update Utility, which seems to indicate my Intel drivers are all valid and current.

Chieh
For future reference, Chieh, you can always identify your computer's hardware in Device Manager (using the Hardware IDs). In situations where you can't so easily open the computer to look at the physical component, this is very handy.

For for follow-up, it seems odd that you lose 802n connectivity in a location where you still get 802g connections. That shouldn't really be the case, so if you should need that connectivity in the future (sounds like you don't now), you might want to check some of the settings specific to the n-network. These can make a big difference.

dstrakele
11-08-2011, 09:06 PM
We also had a recent case where the Wireless Adapter antennas were disconnected, resulting in low signal strength (even with laptop next to the router).

gypsymoth
11-08-2011, 10:23 PM
I have two wireless phone at two opposite ends of the house. The room with the computer and the router is in the middle of the house. I don't know whether they are 5GHz phones or not.

Thanks for the extra tips. It'll be useful for future wifi troubleshooting.

Chieh

Chastity@ASUS
11-18-2011, 10:11 PM
Do you have any large metal objects between your location and the wifi router, like say a bathroom? If so, then probably your radio signals are being blocked.

jdp568
11-18-2011, 10:20 PM
My bbk 7 wont recieve wireless N.Only G. I had to get a 5N usb adapter to utilize my N network. I have a dual band router and have other devices that use N and they pick up fine.

BrodyBoy
11-18-2011, 10:49 PM
My bbk 7 wont recieve wireless N.Only G. I had to get a 5N usb adapter to utilize my N network. I have a dual band router and have other devices that use N and they pick up fine.
My first guess would be that you have the channel width set incorrectly for the N network you actually use, or that you have N mode disabled in the card properties. Are you broadcasting both bands from your router?

jdp568
11-19-2011, 04:12 AM
Thanks...I overlooked a checkbox on my router. Thanks for your help.