PDA

View Full Version : [notebook care] dust filters + screen cleaning product

Giustiniano
01-19-2015, 10:46 AM
Hello,

I recently bought a G751JY, and am thrilled by it. So as to avoid problems with dust I was thinking about putting dust filters below the notebook, where there's at least some air intake. Do you think it would be wise to put them also on the rear exhaust fans?

Also, which product do you suggest to clean the screen? Is there anything recommended my ASUS?

Thank you all in advance,

Enrico

NitroX
01-19-2015, 11:06 AM
I wouldn't bother with the dust filters because the G751 doesn't take much air from the bottom. You can cover the bottom holes and see that there is no significant difference between the temperatures. Also, if you take a close look on the bottom holes, you can see that there is already something similar to a dust filter. There was a post around here in which we have spoken about how the vents intake fresh air. It seems that G751's are more fresh air from the sides, through the usb/vga/hdmi/etc. ports. Just try while you are running in medium load and both fans are running. Wet your hands and then slide them across the left and right ports to see that there is an air flow (the water will increase the heat transfer so you could feel the air flow even better).

As for the cleaning part, I try to keep the screen as clean as I can. I'm only cleaning it from dust. But there are times when some teachers from the faculty feel the need to put their fingers all over my display in order to show me something on my projects in AutoCAD... I hate when they do that and I always tell them to be careful. So, when the screen gets fingerprints on it I only use the microfiber cloth from ASUS and I spray some distilled water in a small corner of the cloth. DO NOT use normal water!! Because it has minerals and it leaves traces on your display. After I spray on the cloth I use that corner and I gently make circular movements where the spots are, until you can only see the traces from the distilled water (don't worry, these traces will go in the next process). After you wiped the spot, then you use one of the dry corners and gently make linear movements (up-down, right-left) until the spots from the distilled water are gone.

I suggest that you use some source of light directed to the screen in order to better see what you are cleaning. For my personal experience, I use the phones back led and it works great.

There are also suggestions of using a combination of 50% distilled water and 50% isopropyl alcohol with 70% concentration. Though I have never used this combination, I will take it into consideration for future cleanings.

There are also special screen cleaners on the market that you could try. But in my country I can't seem to find many screen cleaners, and the ones that are on the market are of low quality and I don't know if I should use them. Search for the ones that specify that they are for all kind of screen displays and first check them in a small corner of the screen.
You can see some good examples of screen cleaners here: http://hdguru.com/screen-cleaners-a-de-messifying-review/3373/

Giustiniano
01-19-2015, 01:23 PM
Thank you very much for the useful info & suggestions :)