PDA

View Full Version : G750JM-DS71 upgrading /adding an ssd drive after buying

bcrummie
01-23-2015, 12:44 AM
Am interested in adding a SSD drive and using the one that came with my ASUS ROG G750JM-DS71 as the backup drive. I was wondering what SSD drive would I need and how to swap out the existing drive and use it as the backup drive.

Darnassus
01-23-2015, 09:35 AM
Basically your unit already came with two drives, the SSD and the HDD and what you want to do is put in two SSD's?

OR

Did your unit only come with the HDD as the main drive, and you now want to add an SSD, by replacing the old drive and putting it into the second bay?

Either way, the SSD of choice is the Samsung Evo 840 series. Everyone seems to love it. Grab one in a 2.5" form factor and you should be good to go.

All you need to do to install it is access the back of the laptop, undo the three screws on the drive you want to remove, then remove the four screws (two on each side) that the metal encasing (caddy) is connected to the drive.

Once the screws are out, just put the caddy onto the new drive, make sure you put it in the right holes.
(there's two lengths needed which make sure you don't accidentally plug in the wrong drive when you dismantle the unit.)

A tip.

Most important: Make sure you have a 16gb USB to make an Asus BackTracker Volume to keep your factory OS with you and safe.

More Information here: http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008640

If you're going to toss in the SSD and make it your boot drive, FIRST put it into the second bay and use a cloning program (the Samsung Evo I believe comes with one) to copy over EVERYTHING from the boot drive to the new SSD, then swap them around (you'll need to change the caddy settings) and once you've done a successful copy, TEST it, (with only the new drive inside, alone) make sure everything's working before you do a wipe of the old drive (if you're going to use it).

WARNING: You MAY need to manually configure your BIOS to realise that you've changed boot drives, you might need set that the new drive is now what you want to boot from. ( I believe the boot drive is registered under it's name, not what bay it's in. ) Just post again here if you have any difficulties.

TheDireLynx
01-23-2015, 08:13 PM
Darnassus, if you're still here I was looking to do something similar with my laptop, however it's a bit different since It came stock with 4 HDDs with ~500gb storage, and since I've never done anything like this before I was wondering what would be better for my money, a 500gb SSD or a 500gb SSHD, and how will I be able to know which drive is the OS drive compared to the other 3 data drives?
Also, I've noticed there are many kinds like mSATA, SATA, SATA III, USB and Thunderbolt, which kind would I need?

Darnassus
01-24-2015, 03:57 AM
Sounds like you have two 1tb drives partitioned to 500x4 which is utterly retarded to me. I'll help fix it up later, I am so tired nows I must sleepies <3 Post your specs, namely the hard drives in your unit and we'll see what can be done.

TheDireLynx
01-25-2015, 09:25 AM
Well the exact model itself is the G750JW-RB71-CB, and I'm not sure where to find exact hard drive data. As far as the hard drives, anything I look at always says either 2TB, 4x 500gb or Newegg lists it as 2x 1TB hard drives at 5400RPM, but that's as much as I know. I'm going to see if I can open up this laptop and see something on the hard drives themselves in the meantime

Edit: That was the most ridiculously hard thing to do. Seriously why can't computer makers just make 1 directional slide-in hooks instead of 1 tiny little screw and plastic hooks in all 4 directions in a funny shape that makes taking the back panel off the biggest pain in the world holy cow.

I only checked one and I think they are the same type, it was a Samsung model ST1000LM024

Darnassus
01-25-2015, 02:08 PM
Can you download a program named 'Speccy' and look under Hard Drives to confirm the models of both units? (Forgive me for not including this prior)

That really sounds odd, I've never heard of such a setup. Anyhow please confirm and then tell me what you want as an end result and I'll help you get there. ;3

TheDireLynx
01-25-2015, 10:30 PM
Sweet. Well I thought it was made by Samsung because that was the biggest logo, but it's a Seagate hard drive
Seagate ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB
ATA Standard: ATA8-ACS
Sata-II
5400RPM
features: S.M.A.R.T., APM, AAM, NCQ
931GB capacity
both hard drives are identical, there is only 2 of them but it is displayed on my computer as OS, Data1, Data2, DATA with max capacities of 372GB, 465GB, 465GB and 537GB respectively
Wow, here's something interesting
The first hard drive is split into 2 partitions of 465GB each disk letters D: and E:, while the 2nd has a total of 6 partitions of sizes 100MB, 899MB,372GB (disk letter C: ), 449MB, 537GB (disk letter F: ), and 20 GB
Here's the full Storage section from Speccy https://www.dropbox.com/s/pw2mdzv177vh5lu/Speccy.txt?dl=0

found another website showing stuff about my current HDD http://samsunghdd.seagate.com/includes/spinpoint-m8-ds.pdf

Anyway as for the new hard drive, I'm actually not too sure what kind of drive I want to install in this one's place, I'm torn between a 500GB Samsung SSD for $300 here http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373
or a 1TB Seagate SSHD for $100 here
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178340
I know that the SSHD will never be as good as the SSD, but it still looks like it performs relatively closely in most aspects and significantly faster than a 5400RPM hard drive, and I'm just not sure an SSD is worth 3 times the money for 1/2 the storage

Darnassus
01-26-2015, 01:29 AM
SSD. SSD clearly. SSHD are a gimmick in my opinion, I wouldn't bother with it.

The 500gb Evo is a great choice, I'm still having a fit how you have 2x1TB HDD's in your laptop.. I never heard of such a config. Anyhow, Ignore those 'weird partitions' on C drive, they're completely normal for filing system and UEFI ( I think it is ).

But yeah, just copy the main HDD onto the new SSD, whack 'er in and test if it boots. You should be fine no problems. The tutorial at the top should cover you the whole way.

TheDireLynx
01-26-2015, 06:52 PM
Here's a good video showcasing the Seagate laptop SSHD vs an SSD and a 5400 RPM HDD, like the one I have. This is mostly why I feel paying 6 times more per GB of storage might not be worth it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iBhf8rpobo
the SSHD might not be as fast, but it's still light years ahead of my current hard drive and, like I said before, it's 6 times more storage space per $ and I'm still not sure I want to drop $300, it's just a bit much for me.

I just for the first time noticed an issue. According to the Seagate website, my current hard drive is 9.5/69.74/100.03mm h/w/l, the Seagate SSHD is 9.5mm height, but the 850 EVO is 6.86mm height. I'm not sure it would fit properly. width and length are both good, but I'm just not sure if that thin form factor will become an issue with it not fitting properly and maybe moving around in the case when I move my laptop.

Darnassus
01-27-2015, 01:18 AM
Ah yes I forgot to mention that the SHDD's are usually fatter to make room for the flash memory, but don't worry, the caddy provides good room, as long as the screw holes are in the right place then the drive will fit in no problem. I think the maximum height the caddy can hold is close to 10mm.

The reason I don't like SSHD's is because the hybrid half is so low in volume that the constant writes to it would have it deteriorate faster.. that's why I'd rather just a big massive block (an SSD) to work with. To be honest I'm not exactly well versed with the SSHD's but, that's my interpretation of the idea.. the video does make it look really good though.

I just hope if the flash memory half of it begins to reach it's maximum write cycles it'll turn itself into an ordinary HDD, that's if it has a maximum write limit of course. I am unsure.

TheDireLynx
01-27-2015, 04:37 AM
I think you misunderstood a little bit when I was talking about the sizes, the SSHD and the HDD are identical sizes, the SSD though is quite a bit thinner, but thanks for all the info. I'm going to get the SSHD because cheaper and still looks good.

Keebler
02-02-2015, 06:44 AM
I just bought this laptop (G750JS-NH71). I comes with a 1TB 7200 RPM HDD, so bought a Crucial MX100 256 SSD and switched that to be the OS/Boot drive. I used AsusBacktracker to create a recovery image when I first got the laptop. So I have a 32GB USB drive with my recovery image.
Then I removed the 1TB drive and put the SSD in that slot. (I only had the SSD in at that point).
Then I rebooted with the USB drive in and it booted off of that automatically. I restored the image to the SSD and made sure that was working fine.
Then, I installed the original HDD in the other drive bay and used DISKPART in windows to clean all the partitions off of it (so I got all 1TB of the drive). You can google DISKPART clean for the details, but it's much simpler than trying to delete the partitions individually - especially since some of the partitions weren't letting me delete them.

Hope that helps,
Rich

bcrummie
02-11-2015, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the information

THempleman
02-12-2015, 04:10 AM
Great video!

AndyVee
02-12-2015, 10:52 AM
Seeing as EVO840's were mentioned as a good SSD I thought I would leave this - http://www.overclock.net/t/1507897/samsung-840-evo-read-speed-drops-on-old-written-data-in-the-drive - here as it is one of many forums reporting issues with them which are still not resolved , got Crucial's here with no issues to date .

grandosegood
02-14-2015, 03:18 PM
if you don't use the optical bay, ditch it for an optical bay hard drive caddy for more storage!