PDA

View Full Version : G73JH freezes in Windows, shuts down under load

mike_campo
11-09-2011, 03:45 AM
I am really frustrated with my G73. After sitting powered down for a day or so, it will freeze after logging into Windows. I have to power it off and then it will start up normally. I have had this issue since day one. About a 2 months ago, the laptop would start powering down in the middle of a game. Not very often, then much more frequently. My first thought was overheating so I downloaded SpeedFan to monitor things. Neither CPU or GPU ever went past 85 degrees C.

I tried reloading OS using Asus built in recovery system. All drivers were factory but I tried newer drivers from Asus once the problems showed up. Then I RMA'd about 2 weeks ago. I got my G73 back this past Friday, 11-4-2011. I pressed the power button for the first time and blue screen! I can't believe it was returned to me like this. Their report said that they reloaded the factory software. I had done this twice already.

Now, each time I turn it on, after 5-15 min just surfing Internet, sitting idle, running any program, the laptop will freeze. First the desktop/programs, then the mouse, and finally the screen shuts off but keyboard and other lights stay on indefinitely.

I'm not really sure what to do. I sent it for RMA once and it came back worse. Does this sound like something you've seen before? Can I fix it myself? Or is the hardware shot? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

BrodyBoy
11-09-2011, 03:48 AM
Have you ever tried a clean Windows installation, Mike? Not the Asus installation, but a truly bare-bones Windows installation. If I were sure it's not overheating, that would be my next step.

JRd1st
11-09-2011, 03:54 AM
I'm starting to think we should require people to do a clean install before we help them. lol A clean install with reasonablly up-to-date drivers, and minimal Asus apps, would solve approx 75% of the problems here.

BrodyBoy
11-09-2011, 04:02 AM
That's probably true (or maybe it's more than 75%)....but playing devil's advocate for a minute: People really should be able to expect the "as shipped" configuration to just work. It's really frustrating to me that sooooo many people have problems with these things right out of the box. Most computer users I know wouldn't have a clue how to deal with most of the issues that come up, and most of them would never think to look for solutions in an online forum. What the heck do all those people do???

@Mike: A clean installation is the best diagnostic you could do at this point. If it's still exhibiting that weird behavior then, I'd have to conclude it's a hardware failure of some sort. If you don't know how to do a clean installation, let me know and I can help you out with some step-by-step instructions.

mike_campo
11-09-2011, 04:15 AM
Thanks for the advice, I'll do the clean install and see what happens. I just want to make sure I get all the features back to 100% functuality, mainly the keyboard functions like volume, screen brightness, turbo boost working right, etc as well making sure everything performs as fast as before. Any recommendations on certain things I should watch for or specific software I should make sure I install?

dstrakele
11-09-2011, 04:29 AM
What is the Bugcheck Code (STOP 0x000000??) of the BSOD you recently received? It can be recovered from the BugCheck source event in the System Event Log. You can filter for BugCheck events only, if necessary. The reason I ask is that it may indicate a hardware problem on your system. You shouldn't be getting a BSOD right after a Factory Restore...

You should also look at any other Errors and Warnings in the log. Bad memory or a faulty hard drive can cause your sysrtem to freeze intermittently.

mike_campo
11-09-2011, 04:44 AM
Wow, I used to think I knew a little bit about computers but reading your replies is humbling. That being said... looking for the bug check code in the system event log sounds like a great idea... but I don't know how :-(

dstrakele
11-09-2011, 05:28 AM
Launch Event Viewer by clicking on Start, then type "Event" in the Search box. Expand "Custom Views" and select
"Administrative Events". This will give you a good rundown on the errors taking place on your system. Look for a BugCheck event. The details of this event will contain the bugcheck code.

Alternatively, you can expand Windows Logs, select System, then choose "Action-Filter Current Log" from the top menu, click on the downdrop arrow in the "Event sources:" box, and check the "BugCheck" event.

380mcn
11-09-2011, 11:05 AM
sincerely, F$#% IT!
Insert windows DVD, format and install, altough brodyboy is right People really should be able to expect the "as shipped" configuration to just work. It's really frustrating to me that sooooo many people have problems with these things right out of the box

don't forget the atheros driver updated, the wireless console and the ATK.
dstrakele, is there any trick to install the webcam?

JRd1st
11-09-2011, 01:13 PM
sincerely, F$#% IT!
People really should be able to expect the "as shipped" configuration to just work. It's really frustrating to me that sooooo many people have problems with these things right out of the box

Unfortunately there's a difference between what should be and what is, otherwise none of us would be here. :D

dstrakele, is there any trick to install the webcam?I don't remember ever installing a webcam driver. My webcam says ASUS USB2.0 Webcam and I don't know where any driver for that is. lol

USB\VID_1BCF&PID_2885&REV_0429&MI_00
USB\VID_1BCF&PID_2885&MI_00

BrodyBoy
11-09-2011, 07:22 PM
I don't remember ever installing a webcam driver. My webcam says ASUS USB2.0 Webcam and I don't know where any driver for that is. lol

USB\VID_1BCF&PID_2885&REV_0429&MI_00
USB\VID_1BCF&PID_2885&MI_00
Windows installs its generic webcam drivers when you do a clean install. Since I don't use the webcam, I never bothered to look for any customized drivers for the G74's camera, nor have I evaluated how well the Windows driver works.

JRd1st
11-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Yeah, but it sucks. I wonder if the Asus driver is better. Wherever it is...

kiba
11-09-2011, 09:47 PM
My g73jh just started doing this after i reflashed my bios/vbios for the GSOD issue :(

dstrakele
11-09-2011, 11:49 PM
Windows installs its generic webcam drivers when you do a clean install. Since I don't use the webcam, I never bothered to look for any customized drivers for the G74's camera, nor have I evaluated how well the Windows driver works.

My G74SX-A1 webcam has stock Microsoft webcam driver. I never updated it.

short circut
11-10-2011, 07:22 AM
I am familiar with this problem. Its actually not a webcam issue. I don't know why it shows up as one. I believe it is a hard drive issue. Mine has this problem. The hard drive will chirp like it is losing power. It seems to be an issue with how the hard drive interfaces with the motherboard. The little peice that connects the hard drives to the mother board gets weak and causes them to lose power I suspect. It seems to manifest its self in this error. it took me weeks of testing to track this issue down.

380mcn
11-10-2011, 09:48 AM
My G74SX-A1 webcam has stock Microsoft webcam driver. I never updated it.

if it installs purely with the microsoft drivers to me is fine, because this is not an hd camera so it's alright..

JRd1st
11-10-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm surprised asus used such a crummy cameras. Even my cellphone has a 5MB camera.

380mcn
11-10-2011, 03:57 PM
1. update bios
2. update vbios
3. install windows from 0
4. install only by this order: chipset,reboot nvidia reboot, wireless reboot and atk reboot
5. install games / cpu and gpu intense software
6. if it works i'm GLAD, if it doesn't RMA again that freaking brick!

Muddled
05-01-2014, 09:36 AM
Hi all! I know I am several years too late, but this just suddenly started happening to me - after years of happy use of my ASUS, just last week it started to abruptly switch off under load. Regular "surfing" was fine, but as soon as I did anything heavy, the machine would instantly power-down.

In my case, it appears to be the power adapter!! (yes, the massive black block that is sitting on the floor beside me!). I replaced that, and the problems went away. So... maybe some of the adapters are not providing quite enough "juice" to the hungry ASUS power supply??

Anyway, I hope this helps someone who is experiencing this problem for the same reason as I am.

Cheers all!