PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 install fail, PLEASE HELP!!!

ApacheCheiften
01-25-2015, 08:45 PM
Hey guys, so I am building a computer and I am down to the final stretch, installing the OS. I have a asus maximus hero vii mother board and an intel 4970k processor. I've tried installing Ubuntu (linux) and windows 7 pro 64 bit, and neither of them have worked. I have already read a few other sub forums by others with similar issues but none of them have worked. Please help.

MeanMachine
01-26-2015, 05:25 AM
Hi ApacheCheiften and Welcome to ROG. Explain in more detail how you tried to install your OS.

Are you able to access your Bios?
If so, then you should check your Bios is recognizing your drives and that they are configured correctly.
If using DVD drive to install your OS, then set Bios boot config to boot from DVD.

Please report back and also fill out your system specs in your profile.

MM

ApacheCheiften
01-26-2015, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the response..... I am able to access my bios...It recognizes my drivers and they are configured correctly, however when i click boot on windows 7 it restarts my computer without doing anything.

geneo
01-26-2015, 11:52 PM
Do you have CSM disabled in the BIOS boot menu? If so, enable it.

Nate152
01-26-2015, 11:52 PM
hello ApacheChieften

if you have more than 1 HDD or SSD, remove them all but the one you want to install the OS on.

As MeanMachine says: Set your cd/dvd drive as the first boot device and insert the windows disc. Reboot, then it will say press any key to boot from dvd, touch any key on your keyboard in the time frame and you should be on your way.

After installation be sure to set your hdd/ssd as the first boot device.

ApacheCheiften
01-27-2015, 12:24 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. I will try it again with my new found knowledge and report back with the result.

Nate152
01-27-2015, 12:54 AM
You're welcome

Let us know how it goes.

ApacheCheiften
01-27-2015, 01:46 AM
Ok so none of that worked..... Should secure boot be on? also should i boot from UEFI or legacy OPROM?

Nate152
01-27-2015, 02:01 AM
To do a UEFI install read this, it's for the rampage iv board but it's the same steps.

http://rog.asus.com/220572013/rampage-motherboards/rampage-iv-uefi-boot-installation-guide-on-windows-7-or-8/

You can enable secure boot, it's your option.

So what happened when you tried installing windows?

Tell us the steps you are doing please.

geneo
01-27-2015, 03:18 AM
Ok so none of that worked..... Should secure boot be on? also should i boot from UEFI or legacy OPROM?

If you are having problems try legacy OPROM. Secure boot is automatically disabled if CSM is enabled.

ApacheCheiften
01-27-2015, 03:36 AM
OK you guys asked what steps I take, so here's what I do
-First i turn on the computer
-Next the bios opens
-I then go to the boot section of the settings
-For csm all of the setting are set to UEFI driver first
-For secure boot the OS type is set to windows UEFI mode
-The #1 boot option is the windows 7 disk
-Then I click on boot menue, select windows 7
-The computer resets and I'm returned to the bios

Those are all the steps I take while trying to boot up the software... hope this is enough info

MeanMachine
01-27-2015, 01:50 PM
Hi ApacheCheiften, Sorry if this is a little simplistic, but I don't know your level of understanding.

I trust you are not attempting to boot from a disk with an OS already installed, as this would fail because registry entries and drivers would not conform to your current systems Bios. You must do a clean install.

Install to the disk you chose and configured in Bios, that is formatted to NTFS for 64bit install.

A typical clean installation (on a blank hard disk) step-by-step procedure is as follows:

1. Insert the Windows 7 DVD into your computer's DVD-ROM drive, and restart the computer. Windows 7 Setup should start automatically. If Setup does not start automatically, ensure that your computer is configured to boot from the DVD drive.

2. You are asked to select regional options for the Windows 7 installation. Make your selection and click Next to continue.

3. In the next dialog box, you are prompted to start the installation. Click Install Now to begin the installation. This produces a screen that tells you that Setup is starting.

4. When you're ready, select the I Accept the License Terms option and click Next to continue.

5. In the Which Type of Installation Do You Want,you can select only the Custom (Advanced) option because you're performing a new installation on a blank hard disk. Click Custom (Advanced) to continue.

6. In the Where Do You Want to Install Windows? dialog box, select the partition onto which you'll install Windows 7. click Next. If you need to provide a RAID or SCSI driver, now is the time to do it.

7. The Installing Windows dialog box appears and gives you an updated status of the upgrade process.

8. After some time, your computer restarts and the newly installed Windows 7 loads. Windows 7 resumes the installation process. Before the restart, a warning appears.

9. After the restart, you'll see a notification telling you that Windows 7 is preparing the new installation. Windows 7 moves back into a graphical display after a few minutes and tells you it's updating Registry settings and starting services, after which it lets you know it's completing the installation.

10. After completing the installation, Windows 7 asks you to provide a username and a computer name. After providing this information, click Next to continue, then follow the instructions and you will be on your way.

If you have followed the above instructions for OS installation and fail, then your installation disk or DVD drive is the problem and be sure to get your data and other files off the old OS BEFORE Formatting.

Please report back.