PDA

View Full Version : G751 Weird sound before anything plays (closed, pls reply at new thread)

Jarinha
01-26-2015, 07:18 PM
Hi, I've been reading this forum since I bought my G751 this weekend. Initially I though I had the same "balance" problem but now that I've learned more from this issue I believe mine is completely different therefore I created a thread.

Issue: Basically I recorded a video for better understanding, it's a weird sound that comes out of the front speaker before anything plays. Please check the video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21wVkivCPME

It does the same sound when connected to headphones!

Edit by cl-Albert 3/20/15: Since this thread is getting a bit long, thought we should close it and reply at the new thread below. Thanks.https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59248-G751-Sound-Crackling-Thread-(The-one-thread-to-rule-them-all)

cl-Albert
01-27-2015, 01:46 AM
Hi, thanks for the video and it sounds like the Realtek HD Audio Manager 'test sound', but not much idea why it's playing before all your sounds unless you've done something unusual with the audio drivers.

Check the screenshot below from my G751JT unit if you want to play the test sound by clicking on one of the speakers in the picture which I'm wondering will just play twice in a row for your unit.

Jarinha
01-27-2015, 02:24 PM
Hi, thanks for the video and it sounds like the Realtek HD Audio Manager 'test sound', but not much idea why it's playing before all your sounds unless you've done something unusual with the audio drivers.

Check the screenshot below from my G751JT unit if you want to play the test sound by clicking on one of the speakers in the picture which I'm wondering will just play twice in a row for your unit.

Hi, I don't think I've made myself clear, the test sound from realtek is not the problem, the problem is the sound that the laptop does before playing any sound (including the test sound function from realtek)

Please put the speakers louder in order to understand the issue.

cl-Albert
01-27-2015, 05:19 PM
Hi, I don't think I've made myself clear, the test sound from realtek is not the problem, the problem is the sound that the laptop does before playing any sound (including the test sound function from realtek)

Please put the speakers louder in order to understand the issue.

Sorry, that was my fault for misunderstanding. From what I can hear in your video there is a little click and hum before the test sounds play as if someone just turned on the speakers?

Micksmith
01-27-2015, 08:17 PM
I have this same issue. Also does it if I'm on a website with an embedded video or clicking on a game in steam which has a trailer

Also when changing volume, the bong it makes to show how loud it is is quite distorted, do you have this jarinha

Jarinha
01-27-2015, 08:25 PM
I have this same issue. Also does it if I'm on a website with an embedded video or clicking on a game in steam which has a trailer

Also when changing volume, the bong it makes to show how loud it is is quite distorted, do you have this jarinha

Yes didn't noticed until you talked about it but yeah, did you solve this?

Jarinha
01-27-2015, 08:26 PM
Sorry, that was my fault for misunderstanding. From what I can hear in your video there is a little click and hum before the test sounds play as if someone just turned on the speakers?

Exactly

Micksmith
01-27-2015, 08:46 PM
Yes didn't noticed until you talked about it but yeah, did you solve this?

No i havent, just done a system restore but to no avail. Im keeping my eye on a few other threads but no one seems to have an answer.

Does anyone know if its a hardware or software fault, I bought the laptop saturday but temped to send it back if its a hardware issue.

toronto699
01-27-2015, 09:21 PM
Micksmith if it were me id return the unit , its hard to say if its software or hard ware , try different Realtek audio drivers , there are many older and newer realtek audio drivers at station-drivers.com that u can try

Boxis
01-27-2015, 09:22 PM
Please check http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56757-G751JY-Strange-clicking-sound if the solution in this topic by hmscott helps you.

Micksmith
01-27-2015, 09:58 PM
Jarinha....Give the following a try...I think its working for me but im tired and maybe im imagining it lol:

1.Go to the website toronto suggested and download any of the realtek hd audio drivers.
2.Start the installation of the driver and the first thing it will do is remove the original driver and ask to restart the system.
3.Restart the system and come back to desktop.
4.After a few seconds the install will start again but instead of allowing it to install new driver click cancel instead.

Now this seems to leave you with a driver loaded which isnt a realtek driver, possibly just a windows driver, and doesnt appear to make a noise before playing a sound.

See what you think

Jarinha
01-27-2015, 10:49 PM
Please check http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56757-G751JY-Strange-clicking-sound if the solution in this topic by hmscott helps you.

Hi thanks for trying to help but doesn't have anything to do with HDD, our problem is different.

Jarinha
01-27-2015, 10:51 PM
Jarinha....Give the following a try...I think its working for me but im tired and maybe im imagining it lol:

1.Go to the website toronto suggested and download any of the realtek hd audio drivers.
2.Start the installation of the driver and the first thing it will do is remove the original driver and ask to restart the system.
3.Restart the system and come back to desktop.
4.After a few seconds the install will start again but instead of allowing it to install new driver click cancel instead.

Now this seems to leave you with a driver loaded which isnt a realtek driver, possibly just a windows driver, and doesnt appear to make a noise before playing a sound.

See what you think

OMG! it works my great friend! So it's definately a software issue. I'm now running the windows drivers but please let me know if you find realtek drivers that work ok.

Micksmith
01-28-2015, 08:23 AM
OMG! it works my great friend! So it's definately a software issue. I'm now running the windows drivers but please let me know if you find realtek drivers that work ok.

On further playing it still isnt perfect, it will start make a sound just before the speakers start, but its less noticeable. Also the speakers seem to stay "active" longer.

Id agree it seems to be software issue. Basing it on my fault for some reason the speakers seem to be inactive until needed, then kind of turn on when required, then after a while go off again. Almost like desktop speakers do when you first turn them on, they make a noise and a hum so you know they are on, then it disapears and sound comes when required.

Kind of makes sense why i dont get an issue when actually playing a game because the speakers are "active" all the time.

Anyway thats just me spitballing about my issue, hopefully there will be smarter people than me working on it at Realtek/ASUS.

Jarinha
01-28-2015, 10:21 AM
On further playing it still isnt perfect, it will start make a sound just before the speakers start, but its less noticeable. Also the speakers seem to stay "active" longer.

Id agree it seems to be software issue. Basing it on my fault for some reason the speakers seem to be inactive until needed, then kind of turn on when required, then after a while go off again. Almost like desktop speakers do when you first turn them on, they make a noise and a hum so you know they are on, then it disapears and sound comes when required.

Kind of makes sense why i dont get an issue when actually playing a game because the speakers are "active" all the time.

Anyway thats just me spitballing about my issue, hopefully there will be smarter people than me working on it at Realtek/ASUS.

It's exactly that, I'm just glad it seems a software issue!

Mousepad
02-10-2015, 11:20 PM
I also have the same issue here and uninstalling the Realtek drivers fixed it. The sound is very crappy regardless of driver however!

hmscott
02-10-2015, 11:36 PM
Guys, there is a "fixed" Realtek driver for the G751, version v6.0.1.7432, direct download here:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin8.1/Audio/Audio_Realtek_Win81_64_VER6017432.zip

It is available in the G751JY support area, under Audio section:

Version V6.0.1.7432 - under Audio section here:
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G751JY&hashedid=LYuLg2456gbkV5dw

G751 Imbalanced Sound Problem FIX IS OUT!
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57462-G751-Imbalanced-Sound-Problem-FIX-IS-OUT!&p=473884&viewfull=1#post473884

Jarinha
02-17-2015, 12:08 PM
Guys, there is a "fixed" Realtek driver for the G751, version v6.0.1.7432, direct download here:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin8.1/Audio/Audio_Realtek_Win81_64_VER6017432.zip

It is available in the G751JY support area, under Audio section:

Version V6.0.1.7432 - under Audio section here:
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G751JY&hashedid=LYuLg2456gbkV5dw

G751 Imbalanced Sound Problem FIX IS OUT!
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57462-G751-Imbalanced-Sound-Problem-FIX-IS-OUT!&p=473884&viewfull=1#post473884

Hey, the fix doesn't correct our problem at least from my experience.

Jarinha
02-19-2015, 09:25 AM
Can anyone help with this?

Jarinha
02-20-2015, 03:08 PM
Anyone please?

falkenjeff
02-20-2015, 09:18 PM
Anyone please?

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57178-G751J-Sound-Crackling-Issue-How-to-reproduce-it-and-prevent-it-(Yes-I-fixed-it)

NitroX
02-20-2015, 09:38 PM
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57178-G751J-Sound-Crackling-Issue-How-to-reproduce-it-and-prevent-it-(Yes-I-fixed-it)

Jarinha was talking about the sound that plays for a brief of a moment when playing any media while using these new drivers. It is quite annoying at times and I do hope that ASUS Tech Support is working to solve this issue.

hmscott
02-20-2015, 09:50 PM
Hey, the fix doesn't correct our problem at least from my experience.

Jarinha, the clicking is from the audio driver opening and closing, before and after playing the sound.

My G750JH does it as well, but setting the amplifier gain low, and setting the audio level high of the application that is generating the sound, the resulting start/stop click/pop is very low and isn't objectionable.

I turn up the volume on my audio level in programs (hulu, netflix, etc) to just about 95%, that lets me turn down the amplifier level lower than if I run the audio levels low in the programs.

I set the speaker/headphone amp level low, like between 25-35% - which means the amp isn't jacked up high - so the amp noise from opening / closing audio doesn't rise to an objectionable level.

If you run the speaker/headphone level - the little Speaker icon in the systray - at 100% and set the application audio level low you will cause a large pop/click when the audio from the program opens the audio to play a sound and again when it closes the audio to stop playing the sound.

It would be like turning your home theater amp/preamp volume way up to 95% and then try to adjust the sound with an iPhone/iPod using a really low output setting. Amp noise and start/stop clicks/pops would show up too.

Try playing with setting your amp level low, and the application level high, and see if that reduces the starting/closing click/pop to a liveable level :)

falkenjeff
02-20-2015, 10:12 PM
Jarinha was talking about the sound that plays for a brief of a moment when playing any media while using these new drivers. It is quite annoying at times and I do hope that ASUS Tech Support is working to solve this issue.

I skimmed the thread and I think someone mentioned a "clicking" noise. The registry edit in my thread should fix it, no?

hmscott
02-20-2015, 10:18 PM
I skimmed the thread and I think someone mentioned a "clicking" noise. The registry edit in my thread should fix it, no?

falkenjeff, if you are talking about the power saver disable, no that only helps during idle times when power saving has been enabled and you open the driver again then that creates a pop/click as well. This is different, when the driver is opened/closed for output if you have the audio amp level high when it starts up the current in rush creates a pop/click as well.

BTW, the newer Realtek drivers come with power saving disabled when on AC power by default - you shouldn't need to do that registry edit to disable power saving mode.

Check my post in your thread with corrections, history, settings:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57178-G751J-Sound-Crackling-Issue-How-to-reproduce-it-and-prevent-it-(Yes-I-fixed-it)&p=474188&viewfull=1#post474188

Jarinha
02-20-2015, 10:42 PM
falkenjeff, if you are talking about the power saver disable, no that only helps during idle times when power saving has been enabled and you open the driver again then that creates a pop/click as well. This is different, when the driver is opened/closed for output if you have the audio amp level high when it starts up the current in rush creates a pop/click as well.

BTW, the newer Realtek drivers come with power saving disabled when on AC power by default - you shouldn't need to do that registry edit to disable power saving mode.

I did the registry and the problem persists... It's very annoying.

ReeveJ
02-20-2015, 10:43 PM

Nope, doesn't fix it. I've had this problem forever and tried many a solution, but nothing seems to work aside from uninstalling the Realtek driver. There's no audio 'pop' on the default Windows one, so it's definitely a Realtek issue. I just haven't been able to figure out yet what exactly is wrong. Apparently not everyone seems to have this issue?

Jarinha
02-20-2015, 10:46 PM
Nope, doesn't fix it. I've had this problem forever and tried many a solution, but nothing seems to work aside from uninstalling the Realtek driver. There's no audio 'pop' on the default Windows one, so it's definitely a Realtek issue. I just haven't been able to figure out yet what exactly is wrong. Apparently not everyone seems to have this issue?

Indeed it seems not everyone have the problem which makes it a bit weird...

falkenjeff
02-20-2015, 11:03 PM
Should I abstain from updating my sound driver then?

I don't want more fricken sound issues after spending weeks fixing the first set of problems lmao.

ReeveJ
02-21-2015, 05:13 AM
Should I abstain from updating my sound driver then?

I don't want more fricken sound issues after spending weeks fixing the first set of problems lmao.

My advice is usually to avoid updating drivers unless there's a real advantage to doing so. That being said, I personally have been dealing with this audio problem since before the new Realtek driver was released. Even after updating there was no change. If you don't have the issue now then there likely is no risk to getting the latest driver.

If as it seems not everyone has this issue, is it perhaps to do with the BIOS specific to this model? I've got a G751JT with the last BIOS (v205). Is there any change with the newer?

Also thanks for putting together your fix(es), FalkenJeff. It didn't work for me, but it seems to have for some people.

NitroX
02-21-2015, 08:03 AM
My advice is usually to avoid updating drivers unless there's a real advantage to doing so. That being said, I personally have been dealing with this audio problem since before the new Realtek driver was released. Even after updating there was no change. If you don't have the issue now then there likely is no risk to getting the latest driver.

If as it seems not everyone has this issue, is it perhaps to do with the BIOS specific to this model? I've got a G751JT with the last BIOS (v205). Is there any change with the newer?

Also thanks for putting together your fix(es), FalkenJeff. It didn't work for me, but it seems to have for some people.

Nope, nothing changes with BIOS 206. It is a problem with the drivers for sure because I didn't experience this sound on the older drivers. To be honest I'm not even bothered by it as much as you guys seem to be :|. It's not like it's playing again and again and again and you don't know the cause of it. It just simply plays when opening new media/programs so until now you should have get used to the sound :)).

falkenjeff
02-21-2015, 03:13 PM
Nope, nothing changes with BIOS 206. It is a problem with the drivers for sure because I didn't experience this sound on the older drivers. To be honest I'm not even bothered by it as much as you guys seem to be :|. It's not like it's playing again and again and again and you don't know the cause of it. It just simply plays when opening new media/programs so until now you should have get used to the sound :)).

People generally get mad when they pay $1,300 or more for a laptop and it has issues out of the box.

They don't usually want to "get used to it" lol

ReeveJ
02-22-2015, 09:04 PM
People generally get mad when they pay $1,300 or more for a laptop and it has issues out of the box.

They don't usually want to "get used to it" lol

$1,300? I paid about $1,950 CAD.

It isn't actually that big of a deal. I just tend to be very particular about this sort of thing and, as FelkenJeff said, it really should work perfectly out of the box. If it were only just while opening video or music files then I probably wouldn't notice it as much, but you do get pops quite frequently while browsing the web. I use Firefox, but perhaps it isn't as common with Chrome?

I really hope they find a solution to this driver issue...

Grantman
02-23-2015, 03:56 AM
As an fyi, I have the same issue as in the video. Exactly the same small crackle before and after playing audio. Not pleased about it, but trust that since it's a software issue they'll fix it at some point.

Jarinha
02-23-2015, 05:44 PM
I actually paid 2.260 euros and it's not only about the price. I to get particularly annoyed with this type of problems. That being said I don't to get used to it at all, I want it fixed, and I want it fast. I would like an answer from an ASUS representative.

Grantman
02-24-2015, 09:15 AM
I agree. I spent nearly twice as much on this laptop as my last, 7 year old laptop, yet the sound is far worse. Given the price, this Asus should have pretty good sound for a laptop.

Jarinha
03-13-2015, 04:30 PM
Still no news?

Jarinha
03-20-2015, 09:39 AM
Any news for us experiencing this problem?

Corporal
03-20-2015, 05:58 PM
Why hasn't an ASUS rep reacted to this issue yet?
I'm also having the issue and waiting for a sound drivers fix.

cl-Albert
03-20-2015, 06:16 PM
It's always a good idea to check and work with your local ASUS support and service center too rather then only relying on the ROG forums since repair offices can help check and verify the problem with your unit if you arrange an RMA.

However, I've finally been able to catch the problem on my G751JT test unit thanks to Mousepad's help, but only if I put my ear right next to the subwoofer with the sound muted, so it may not be as severe on my unit, or I may just not be enough of an audiophile.

My G751JT is running the 0206 bios and had a newer ASUS image installed recently, so may have updated drivers although the audio driver was still the *.7335 version. Also tried the *.7432 driver with no change for this issue.
I did a 'reset'/recovery before the testing, so my software was pretty clean if it matters and no other devices were plugged in.

If it makes sense, those running into the problem may want to work with their local ASUS repair center in case the problem is worse on some units, but it was difficult to catch with my test unit, so be sure to provide clear steps, or even demonstrate the issue in person if it's possible.

http://www.asus.com/support/callus

Since this thread is getting a bit long, thought we should close it and reply at the new thread below.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59248-G751-Sound-Crackling-Thread-(The-one-thread-to-rule-them-all)