PDA

View Full Version : 2nd HDD disappears from Windows, iaStor error in Event Viewer

Yahooligan
11-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Has anyone seen this? It's a new problem that first started a couple of days back. A search reveals that it may be related to LPM (Linked Power Mode) and sounds like it may be powering off the drive.

The error in Event Viewer is:

The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

If I reboot then the drive shows back up and works fine. So far this has happened twice. Once on Monday and then again today.

Going to do some more digging in the meantime, will update if I find anything useful.

JRd1st
11-09-2011, 05:00 PM
If you don't look at the Event Viewer, what are the symptoms?

Yahooligan
11-09-2011, 05:20 PM
If you don't look at the Event Viewer, what are the symptoms?

My D: drive disappears when I'm not looking. I did put in a different second drive, but that was about a week ago. I just went into P4G Hybrid and noticed it's set to have the HDDs sleep after 5 hours. I just disabled it, so we'll see if that makes any difference.

380mcn
11-09-2011, 05:25 PM
my computer at work sometimes doesn't see the 2nd hd. turns out to be a faulty sata door connection...

Yahooligan
11-09-2011, 05:28 PM
my computer at work sometimes doesn't see the 2nd hd. turns out to be a faulty sata door connection...

The laptop always sees the drive if I simply reboot and I never have any issues using the drive when it's available, but it seems something is telling it to go to sleep and then is unable to wake it up. If it is related to LPM then hopefully preventing it from going to sleep will "solve" my problem.

Yahooligan
11-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Well, I thought the P4G Hybrid change helped, but today I noticed the drive had disappeared again. I did discover that I can go into Disk Management and tell it to rescan, then the drive shows back up again. Maybe I'll configure a small pagefile on the drive and see if that helps keep it active enough.

JRd1st
11-14-2011, 11:57 PM
Why don't you send it in to ASUS for a replacement? I'm sure you can just send in the drive.

Yahooligan
11-15-2011, 12:01 AM
Why don't you send it in to ASUS for a replacement? I'm sure you can just send in the drive.

2nd drive didn't come with the laptop, heck not even the 1st drive came with it. :) I pulled the super-slow 640GB drive that originally came with it and replaced it with a Momentus XT 500GB I had in another laptop, then added a second 500GB (Non-XT) Seagate I had laying around. The 2nd drive was the primary drive in yet another laptop and it worked fine, and the drive works fine when it's "awake", it just has a problem of going MIA when it's idle I guess. Not to worried about it, just kind of annoying.

jonfl1
11-15-2011, 01:44 AM
I've noticed a very similar thing happening once I installed an OCZ 120GB SSD to replace the drive that shipped in my G74SX as the OS drive. Like you, I've noticed that it only seems to happen if I leave the computer idle for hours at a time, such as when I leave it running overnight.

I've been convinced that this is a setting issue and not an RMA thing, and this thread only reinforces my thoughts.

fixitchris
11-15-2011, 02:31 AM
I have noticed that when I'm working on my laptop the drive clicks sometimes as if it was waking up or going to sleep. I am assuming that maybe this is the 2nd drive going to rest when not in use? That's been my only observation of my HDD though.

Yahooligan
11-15-2011, 03:39 AM
Neither of my Seagate drives click, however the factory 640GB WD drive does click every couple of minutes or so, not sure why. Hasn't failed yet but I only use it infrequently as an external drive.

BrodyBoy
11-15-2011, 08:33 AM
My D: drive disappears when I'm not looking. I did put in a different second drive, but that was about a week ago. I just went into P4G Hybrid and noticed it's set to have the HDDs sleep after 5 hours. I just disabled it, so we'll see if that makes any difference.

I've seen this is desktops a couple times, and as with 380mcn's computer, it turned out to be a SATA control issue in both cases. Re-installing the drivers resolved it.

JRd1st
11-15-2011, 10:36 AM
So, if he's using the MS drivers, just uninstall the drive and restart, let Windows do the rest, right?

Yahooligan
11-15-2011, 05:56 PM
It's the same driver for both HDDs, so it doesn't make much sense that the basic disk driver would have a problem that only shows up with one disk. Based on the Event Viewer logs, it really just seems like the drive puts itself to sleep without any trigger from the OS, which then results in the iaStor message because the device disappeared out from under it.

I've configured D: to be where my pagefile resides, removing it from C:, so we'll see if the drive still disappears or if the pagefile activity is enough to keep it from falling asleep.

BrodyBoy
11-15-2011, 07:12 PM
It's the same driver for both HDDs, so it doesn't make much sense that the basic disk driver would have a problem that only shows up with one disk.
True...but then it doesn't make sense that the driver should be messed up. (Who knows how these things happen...) By definition, a problem driver isn't functioning properly and making sense! ;)

Based on the Event Viewer logs, it really just seems like the drive puts itself to sleep without any trigger from the OS, which then results in the iaStor message because the device disappeared out from under it.

I've configured D: to be where my pagefile resides, removing it from C:, so we'll see if the drive still disappears or if the pagefile activity is enough to keep it from falling asleep. Are you using Power4Gear?

BrodyBoy
11-15-2011, 07:14 PM
So, if he's using the MS drivers, just uninstall the drive and restart, let Windows do the rest, right?
I think it would be the Intel drivers, so there's an actual installer that you can use. But I believe doing it the way you describe should actually work as well.

JRd1st
11-15-2011, 07:42 PM
The intel drivers are 25% slower on my Intel SSD.

Yahooligan
11-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Are you using Power4Gear?

I am, and I've made sure that the setting to put the HDDs to sleep has been set to "Never"

Yahooligan
11-15-2011, 09:28 PM
The intel drivers are 25% slower on my Intel SSD.

I did read that there are Intel drivers to replace the MSFT ones, but I was unable to find them anywhere. Granted, I didn't look super hard but I did look. :D

JRd1st
11-15-2011, 09:33 PM
Wouldn't those be Intel RST? http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20624&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%2C%2064-bit*&DownloadType=Drivers

Yahooligan
11-16-2011, 12:00 AM
Wouldn't those be Intel RST? http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20624&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%2C%2064-bit*&DownloadType=Drivers

Hey, check that out. New drivers released on 11/11 (After my last check).

Just installed them and killed off the pagefile on my D: drive to see if the problem still happens. Disk performance seems to be on par with what it was before.

JRd1st
11-16-2011, 01:18 AM
lol Hope it helps. Did you use CrystalDiskMark or something to check it?

Yahooligan
11-16-2011, 01:20 AM
lol Hope it helps. Did you use CrystalDiskMark or something to check it?

Hope so, too. Thanks for the link. :)

For disk performance, I just ran the WinSAT CLI tool as administrator. This is the same collection of tests that are run to determine the Windows Experience Index. When you run them in an admin cmd prompt, such as "winsat disk", it runs the tests and then tells you the actual throughput and latency for each of the tests.

JRd1st
11-16-2011, 01:23 AM
Ah, cool. Will check it out! Thanks!