PDA

View Full Version : Asus G73Sw Power 4 Gear problems

FreedomMRTN
11-10-2011, 02:22 AM
In August i bought my G73Sw and earlier today the power4gear button along with the "Splendid Key" have stopped working, so i uninstalled Power4Gear and then rebooted, reinstalled and rebooted and that didn't work, so i uninstalled Power4Gear and ATK and then rebooted and reinstalled both after rebooting after each, but now the Power4Gear options dont even appear as they did before.

Any clues?

dstrakele
11-10-2011, 02:35 AM
... so i uninstalled Power4Gear and ATK and then rebooted and reinstalled both after rebooting after each, but now the Power4Gear options dont even appear as they did before.

Any clues?

Yes, I'd like some more clues, please. Are you saying the P4G modes are not displayed when you press the ROG key? Can you successfully launch P4G?

Did you try a restore to an earlier time to see if you could recover normal P4G functionality?

FreedomMRTN
11-10-2011, 02:38 AM
i can open up P4G and it has many of the settings but the widget doesnt respond and in the battery power options in control panel they dont show up.

dstrakele
11-10-2011, 03:02 AM
Did the restore to an earlier time work?

If not, I would uninstall P4G and your current ATK Package. Then reboot and install ATK Package 1.00.0014. Reboot and test some of the other function keys aside from the ROG key. Then install P4G and see what you get...

From another post (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5698-Issues-reinstalling-Power4Gear-Hybrid-in-G74), I get the impression that P4G needs a working ATK Package to install properly.
Also, I'd wait 10 minutes before installing P4G to give Windows time to load everything. If you watch the disk activity LED, you can see Windows is still loading components for some time if you logon as soon as possible.

FreedomMRTN
11-10-2011, 04:23 AM
restoring it didn't work, i'm going to try again in the morning.

BrodyBoy
11-10-2011, 05:11 AM
restoring it didn't work, i'm going to try again in the morning.
Just out of curiosity, what P4G functions do you want/need? You're not the first person who has experienced problems with that program, so unless it has some feature genuinely useful to you, maybe you're better off without it.

FreedomMRTN
11-10-2011, 12:38 PM
For me, the biggest thing is just being able to use the ROG button because its just far more convienent because i can't always find plugs. i might just leav eit for now though and toy with it on the weekend.

380mcn
11-10-2011, 02:39 PM
if you're were my case i would forget it.. just a simple button.. :p
in the power options do you still have the option Active Cooling / Passive Cooling? IMHO, that the most important thing..

JRd1st
11-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Well, those options are under "Asus P4G Power Settings", so I don't think so.

EDIT, wait a minute, no it's not under that category, it's under Processor Power Management.

DPST and some other things are under the P4G heading . . .

380mcn
11-10-2011, 03:30 PM
DPST? I would kill it.. it doesn't do anything except make colours fade away! it's like turning off the lights on a car in order to get a better mileage.. in theory it works, in practice it makes 0!

i think AC/PC only is displayed AFTER chipset drivers installed but not in the P4G tab. so, there is no need to install it or loosing time installing it..

380mcn
11-10-2011, 03:34 PM
DELETED! I WAS ABOUT TO MAKE A THREAD .. and Opera had a gaga moment and posted in this thread.. sorry..

JRd1st
11-10-2011, 03:39 PM
You use asus update? :-0

FreedomMRTN
11-10-2011, 04:13 PM
i checked asus update, but it said that there were no updates required. also what the hell is dpst?
When i installed P4G the program came up but no power options were available under power management in control panel. i restored to an earlier date, and the module and button dont work but the power options are available.

JRd1st
11-10-2011, 05:58 PM
DPST is an Intel tool that saves power by dimming the display in a barely noticeable way that supposedly saves 25% on power used by the display. I see absolutely no effect from using it so I don't know if it work with nVidia drivers or not.

Asus update is a waste of resources, uninstall it.

Maybe G73's don't have it? Don't know, but look here - 4155

380mcn
11-10-2011, 06:05 PM
in this case neither de DPST works.. i have seen in dell and toshiba that this piece of junk reduces de color bit!!
if you have the active cooling passive cooling option in the windows standard energy profile, you're ready to go! forget the freaking button!! :p

BrodyBoy
11-10-2011, 07:34 PM
For me, the biggest thing is just being able to use the ROG button because its just far more convienent because i can't always find plugs. i might just leav eit for now though and toy with it on the weekend.
Or perhaps consider using your computer without it for a week or so, to see if you even miss it. ;) The Windows Power Management utility allows detailed power profile configuration, if you need it, and you can always access your two most used profiles instantly from the taskbar power icon.

Much like the overkill of Wireless Console 3, I think P4G adds a redundant and unnecessary "control" layer that most users just don't need. They consume resources and sometimes act up and cause problems, so why bother with them?

380mcn
11-11-2011, 09:59 AM
i think that using wireless console is good because without it i think Bluetooth always stays on!

JRd1st
11-11-2011, 10:26 AM
i think that using wireless console is good because without it i think Bluetooth always stays on!

But it doesn't recognize Intel BT. :(

BrodyBoy
11-11-2011, 10:55 AM
i think that using wireless console is good because without it i think Bluetooth always stays on!No, you can still turn it off when you need to.

JRd1st
11-11-2011, 10:59 AM
You have to go into control panel, though.

BrodyBoy
11-11-2011, 11:11 AM
There are other options. Toggling the fn+F2 combination goes through the wireless options (LAN On + BT On, LAN On + BT Off, etc.), but that's kind of annoying. The easiest way, if you actually need to turn it on and off regularly, is to have the BT icon always show in the notification part of the taskbar, and switching it there. (For the many owners who don't even use BT on their laptops, I'd recommend disabling it in Device Manager.)

JRd1st
11-11-2011, 11:49 AM
I don't have that option in my icon.

You could turn off the tp in the bios, if you don't mind the trouble, but most people like a convenient way to do things.

380mcn
11-11-2011, 12:06 PM
didn't know Wireless console only worked in the famous atheros hardware..

JRd1st
11-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Wireless console does work with Intel WiFi, but not with the BT. If it worked with BT, I'd definitely keep is, but the wifi really is easy enough to turn off, unlike the BT.

BrodyBoy
11-11-2011, 08:14 PM
@JR: That's annoying that it won't link to your Intel BT. One of the obnoxious things about Asus utilities is that they don't let us configure them at all.....I'm sure WC3 could work with other BT radios of they simply included the other common BT hardware IDs, or let us do it somewhere.

I'd be surprised, though, if Windows can't recognize and control it. For hardware that requires 3rd-party drivers, like our WLAN cards, Windows usually links its basic controls once the hardware's is installed and the ID is added. So you do have the Notifications BT icon, but it doesn't offer the control options? What does it do?

JRd1st
11-11-2011, 08:40 PM
This is the Windows driver. I uninstalled the Intel one, but there's a new version so I may try it.

It's got;
Add a Device
Allow a Device to Connect
Show Bluetooth Devices
Send a File
Recieve a File
Join a Personal Area Network
Open Settings
Remove Icon

If I go into Settings I can go 5 steps to disable the Bluetooth adapter.

I'm going to look for something to mod in WC3 to make it work. Does anyone have the Hardware ID of the Atheros BT handy. :D

BrodyBoy
11-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Oh, that's so strange. I have those same options, except "Turn Adapter Off" is in there right above "Remove Icon."

(Note....this isn't with the same Intel card as yours.)