PDA

View Full Version : Question about the SSD on G751JY

Tornale
01-31-2015, 10:30 AM
Hello there,

I've bought the G751JY and I'm really enjoying it but one thing I wanted to see was the difference of the SSD and HDD so I installed WoW on my HDD and then tested a bit of playing. I later moved all the gamefiles to my SSD and I really see no difference at all. From what I've seen before people tend to get blown away by the loading speed of an SSD but I really can't tell the difference. When I boot the computer I'm amazed how fast it is. Am I doing anyhing wrong? Maybe I overrated the difference an SSD would make?

Regards,
Tornale

BigDRim
01-31-2015, 12:35 PM
If you don't move files all the time, or play games with huge loading time, then a SSD on a good computer is nice, not "amazing" (imo).

hmscott
01-31-2015, 06:17 PM
Guys, what is amazing is in game/app loads of data - not all games/apps will exhibit this usage so not all games will be improved.

The lag induced by loading in game from an HDD will create lag, glitches, freezing momentarily while loading from disk - most apparent when the HDD has spun down after initial load for power saving and head parking.

Multiple accesses are also improved, a download can be running, and an upload, while a game/video is running an SSD will handle the load better and not cause glitches in the game/video.

After a game is loaded it is in memory, and unless it accesses the storage media while running you won't notice a difference. There are many other situations where you will notice the difference :)

Using large amounts of data as Virtual Machines (Virtualbox, VMware, etc) do will also be noticeable, as there are lots of "in game" disk accesses. Startup of the VM will be a lot faster, and storage accesses during use will be transparent instead of showing delay as on an HDD.

Again, once the data is in memory, and you have paging disabled, stopping all disk accesses, you won't notice a difference in media speed, because you aren't accessing it.