PDA

View Full Version : EXTERNAL HARD DISK/USB PROBLEM

Andrew_85
11-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Hello guys

i have a problem with my laptop,every time I plug a usb or hard disk it takes always long time to recognize it,sometime it doesn't even do it.

i recently installed on my new ssd a new copy of windows 7 and before I never had this kind of problem.

i'm attaching some screen shot with my external HD attached and i shows on disk management but not on my computer.

What should I do it?

BrodyBoy
11-10-2011, 08:55 AM
I had this problem recently after a clean install. A WD 1Tb drive showed up in Disc Management, but I couldn't access it. Removing the USB devices and letting Windows re-install them worked for me. Here's how:

Go into Device Manager and expand "Universal Serial Bus Controller" section
Select any entry you see that includes the words "controller" or "host"
Right-click and select "Uninstall"
Repeat for other "controller" and "host" entries until there's no longer a "Universal Serial Bus Controller" section left in Device Manager
Reboot your machine
Windows will detect the USB devices and automatically re-install the devices and their drivers. Let this process run to completion. (A dialogue box displays progress as the devices are installed and lets you know when it's done.)

Now check Device Manager to ensure that all the USB devices are there. If the USB 3.0 device isn't there (i.e., if it wasn't re-installed by Windows), run the Fresco installer.

Andrew_85
11-10-2011, 10:23 AM
4146Hi Brody

i did what you told me but I still have the same problem :-(

JRd1st
11-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Are these usb powered drives? Are you using the blue usb connector?

Andrew_85
11-10-2011, 10:44 AM
yes they don't need power . . and for the usb 3 i m using the blue one.

BrodyBoy
11-10-2011, 10:46 AM
4146Hi Brody

i did what you told me but I still have the same problem :-(
Shucks. It appears in your most recent screenshot that you have two 1Tb GoFlex drives (Disc 0 and Disc 1) plugged in? Am I reading that right? Since there's a chance this could be low power to the drive, it would be better, for troubleshooting purposes, to just have one drive and eliminate other USB devices. (USB devices share a power load.)

Andrew_85
11-10-2011, 11:02 AM
4148tried already even if I plug one by one i still can't see it . .
on the troubleshoot I just got this error,it has something to do with what is happening?

BrodyBoy
11-10-2011, 11:06 AM
I'd try reinstalling the CPUs (you do that exactly the same way you did with the USB ports, below). Let Windows reboot and try just one drive in a USB 2.0 port.

It could well be time for a clean install.....

(It's late where I am, Andrew. Time for me to sign off, but hopefully someone else can chime in....I'll see how you're doing tomorrow and pick it up there, if necessary.)

Andrew_85
11-10-2011, 11:14 AM
THANKS BUDDY!

JRd1st
11-10-2011, 11:18 AM
One last thing before the clean install; you weren't on battery when you got that error, were you?

Andrew_85
11-11-2011, 04:19 PM
yes i was not on battery,my laptop was plugged without the buttery inside.

JRd1st
11-11-2011, 04:28 PM
In the zip for the Fresco driver, there are 2 batch files to run something called ASPatch#######.exe, 1 g for install, 1 for remove. Did you run the one for install? I have no idea what this is for, but it's included in a lot of the Asus drivers. (Just like Asus to give us something then not tell us what it is . . .) I ran it on mine to no ill effects, but I don't have a USB 3 device to try it on. :shrug: It's up to you if you want to do this.

BrodyBoy
11-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Just to clarify, Andrew.....weren't you having trouble getting the laptop to read your external drive(s) on any port, including the USB 2.0 ports? If that's the case, I suspect that the USB hub drivers are msesed up or that power management may be screwed up shutting down power to your ports. For now, I would focus on getting functionality to the 2.0 ports.

If one of your drives is 2.0 only, I suggest you just troubleshoot with that one, and just on the 2.0 ports. Once you get those ports working right, you can move on to adding USB 3.0 functionality, which has additional potential pitfalls that can confound the more basic problem you're trying to resolve.

Andrew_85
11-12-2011, 04:23 AM
yes also the usb 2 port are not working!

I have one usb 16gb one external hard disk usb 2 and one usb 3 but nothing works.

I can see it on disk management but not on my computer.

dstrakele
11-12-2011, 05:13 AM
Here is a thread to help you install the Intel Chipset drivers to get your USB 2.0 ports working: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/530384-how-install-latest-intel-chipset-drivers.html

BrodyBoy
11-12-2011, 05:20 AM
Here is a thread to help you install the Intel Chipset drivers to get your USB 2.0 ports working: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/530384-how-install-latest-intel-chipset-drivers.html
Good plan. :)

JRd1st
11-12-2011, 10:29 AM
You could also shift+right-click in the folder that contains the installer, select open command window here, then type the installer name collowed by -overall and hit enter. This is the pro way. :D