PDA

View Full Version : Hibernation during gameplay

Skree83
01-31-2015, 11:26 PM
I have this most strange issue. While playing games, like Assetto Corsa or Diablo 3 (so games wich are really below the specsof a g750) my computer goes into hibernation. If i then press the power button i can resume where i was with no problems, i don't get temperature warning or anything, just automatic hibernation.

I can't understand what is causing it.

I have already checked the power settings, my computer is already set to NEVER go into sleep or power off automatically, wheter it is connected to a power supply or running from battery.

I do not get error messages.

It only happens when i am playing games, if i am simply surfing or watching a movie it does NOT happen.

Any ideas?

Skree83
02-01-2015, 09:56 AM
Please guys, help. I'm getting crazy. I checked the temperatures with a program, even under stress they never go above 80, so it's not a temperature problem.

I play with the computer connected to an external monitor, lid closed, i will try to play with the lid open and see if it changes something, although i am very perplexed about it.

I also thought it could be a battery issue, perhaps for a microsecond it thinks that the battery is almost empty and so it goes into hibernation to save data, but i changed the power settings to make it so that in such an occasion it must power off the computer entirely, and during gameplay it still just went into hibernation.

PLease, seriously, help, i don't have the fragging idea of what's happening.

hmscott
02-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Skree83, haven't had this happen, but a quick google turned this up:

Playing games computer goes to hibernate.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-gaming/playing-games-computer-goes-to-hibernate/543c4e3c-8f71-4ef2-80a7-44271fb92b26?tab=question&status=AllReplies#tabs

https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+hibernation+while+gaming&num=50&safe=off&gbv=2&sei=VQ_OVNqBIcreoATVlYGgDw

https://www.google.com/search?num=50&safe=off&gbv=2&q=windows+8.1+hibernation+while+gaming&oq=windows+8.1+hibernation+while+gaming&gs_l=serp.3...157595.159792.0.160355.4.4.0.0.0.0.6 22.1267.2j4-1j1.4.0.msedr...0...1c.1.61.serp..3.1.621.j-z35kjH4qA

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)

Skree83
02-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Unfortunately it did not help. What i did notice today is that playing with the lid open allowed me to play for hours...

This would make sense if it was a overheating issue, but it is not. I'm baffled.... i can't understand what's happening.

Skree83
02-02-2015, 04:54 PM
Sorry for the up. I still have not solved and i am completely baffled still. Someone has any idea? What's left for me to try is if this happens with all games or only some. I was under the impression that Wasteland 2 or Shadowrun or Flight Simulator did not go in hibernate, but, for now, only Assetto Corsa and Diablo 3.

I need to check this, however, so it is not sure, i will update.

Skree83
02-03-2015, 08:55 PM
Checked. I also installed Lords of The Fallen, quite a bit "heavy" game, and it gave no issues playing with the lid closed for more than one hour.

So it is confirmed, only some games (and not the most demanding ones) cause this behaviour.

I am completely flabbergasted. Someone has any kind of idea?

Dcite
02-04-2015, 11:58 AM
While I have no idea what is actually causing your problem. I believe this can be worked around.

Have you tried changing the behavior of what happens when you close the lid under power options in the windows control panel?
In this case, I am asking you to change the Behavior from "On Lid close, sleep" to "on lid close, do nothing"

Though if you have already done this I have no idea.. Also so you mean Sleep(quick to wake and resume) or Hibernate (writes memory to disk and is actually slow to resume)

Skree83
02-04-2015, 06:04 PM
It takes a while, that's what makes me think it is hibernation. And yes, naturally i have selected to "do nothing" when the lid is closed.

That's why i am so confused, i can't find any single logical reason behind this behavior. If it was overheating it would do so anyway, lid open or closed. If it was the lid itself it should do so with every game, but it is not the case.

If it was a failure of some kind, like ram, hard drive or whatever, it should do so all the time, even when watching movies and such, and not only on certain games.

I can't find a single logical explanation. Only thing is: perhaps a driver issue created by the latest nvidia drivers that happens only in certain circumstances created by a small number of games. Although this is as i said strange.

I am happy because this means nothing is broken, but i am also... confused. I would like to understand. I generally like to understand why something does something else... but in this case i can't find an explanation.

Dcite
02-05-2015, 12:37 AM
In this case.. how about disabling the ability to hibernate at all? I haven't use that ability yet.

rebleracer5
07-02-2015, 11:14 PM
I have the exact same problem and I have a workaround. It does not fix it, but I can play the witcher 3 on another monitor with the lid closed (which would otherwise go into hibernate every five minutes) by simply using a 3rd party program (Asus GPU tweak for notebooks) to set the fans to the highest speed, which solves the problem, it never goes into hibernate anymore. So I'm guessing this is a BIOS problem where the temperature limit is set too high and the fans never run fast enough before it hibernates. I'll check in the BIOS later today to see if this is a fixable problem. I know it will help mate, same problem here :)