PDA

View Full Version : Torx screws on bottom G550J panel?

gsurber
02-01-2015, 04:31 PM
I am looking to replace my HDD with an SSD in my RoG G550J, and I know I have to remove the bottom panel to get to it. Problem is, it is held on with very tiny torx screws, and I cannot find anywhere that tells me what size torx driver I need (the smallest ones I already have are still too big). So, anyone know what size torx screws those are?

animaSola
07-25-2015, 04:25 AM
I have the exact same problem, i got the smallest torx screw driver available and it still doesn't fit. This is crazy :/

code9523
07-25-2015, 06:52 AM
May be it's like ipnone size torx? I think the best way to find a matching screwdriver is to take a laptop to a local tools store and ask there someone help to find good screwdriver!

animaSola
07-26-2015, 04:10 AM
I've had a TS6 and it won't fit. Got a screwdriver specifically for iPhones (which I assume is TS1) and it's too loose. My hunch tells me it's either TS3-5 and will buy that screwdriver in a while, will tell you what fits then! :)

animaSola
07-26-2015, 11:50 AM
Hey Guys, I was able to open my G501 using a TS5 size torx screwdriver, a bit hard to find. Hope it's the same size for all ROG laptops.

ariel.levin
07-26-2015, 06:24 PM
I am looking to replace my HDD with an SSD in my RoG G550J, and I know I have to remove the bottom panel to get to it. Problem is, it is held on with very tiny torx screws, and I cannot find anywhere that tells me what size torx driver I need (the smallest ones I already have are still too big). So, anyone know what size torx screws those are?

I did this process a few days ago, traveled around with my G550JK trying to find this tool, I found the TORX T5 in 2 stores, I think you can open it with that if you're really careful, but I wasn't satisfied with it, because I didn't wanna ruin the screws.
Finally I found the TORX T4 in the third store, and it fits exactly.
So in conclusion, with my experience - Torx T4