PDA

View Full Version : Few G73SW questions from a new ROG forum user/member

Dayne ROG
02-03-2015, 04:43 PM
Hey guys, ive had a G73SW from best buy for a few years now so i have the smaller GTX 460M 1GB GPU but still have the i7 2630QM @2GHz but boost to 2.9 allegedly. Its started running a little slow after years of use so i wiped and restored it to factory new settings. Ive never really gamed with it but i would like to start to. I was looking for ways to pump up the settings and have it still safe. I dont know much about overclocking or such settings. I installed Intels ETU and i read that the CPU cant be OC'd so i just turned up the Turbo Boost Power Max to 60watts. On the benchmark on battery power my score was in the 470 range. I noticed that during a stress test on battery the thermal throttling was coming on and cutting GHz to .8. I then plugged in the power source and the TT stayed off but the highest GHz was 2.6 and the hottest i saw the CPU was 90c i only ran the test for 10mins. I checked the Benchmark again and got a 500 score. Can i do anything else to pump up power or leave it as is.
I also installed the ASUS GPU tweak. I dont really know what to turn up or down but i turned up GPU clock to 1005MHz Memory Clock to 3500 MHz, FPS to highest 255, and i cant get the Display Refresh Rate over 60Hz, every time i try and click apply the screen goes black and comes back on saying the system malfunctioned. Is there much else i can do or need to do? Thanks in advance.

C4RN1
02-03-2015, 06:58 PM
Have you installed throttle stop yet?

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?3322-Sandybridge-Throttle-Issue-and-Workaround

Dayne ROG
02-04-2015, 12:16 AM
Not yet thank you though i will check it out.

billyray520
02-04-2015, 02:23 PM
That's the first thing I thought of too! I have it on my Sw :)

G53SW-A1_16G
02-06-2015, 12:42 AM
Hi Dayne,

A far as the CPU goes, as pointed out by previous members replies, this is the "known" throttling issue on the Sandy Bridge CPUs.
In other words, all i7-2XXX cpu's, to put it plainly. Just review the link in your first reply by C4RN1 and you should be good.

As far as O/C'ing the laptop, on my G3SW i don't have anything in the BIOS that would allow OC'ing it. I don't know if the G73 series
BIOSes have such features. But in any case, i personally wouldn't overclock it, as these ASUS laptops are by definition "gaming" laptops.
I've had my G53SW for some years and when gaming, it runs hot enough, just as it is!!!

I do know one thing for certain though.
Regarding the "Display Refresh Rate" you mention, if you're talking about the laptop's display (and not an external monitor), by default,
ALL laptops, all displays have as default 60Hz.
(there are some very few exceptions to this, for certain displays that were specifically designed to go up to 75Hz) but most of them don't.

This is the default refresh rate of ALL LCD & TFT monitors including laptops LCD's and TFT's as well. This is a limitation of the technology (currently) used for constructing the screens (the actual material). So by definition the laptop displays can never exceed 60Hz (60 frames/sec) and in some
rare cases they might be able to reach 75. But that's it.

Anything you try (by any means of SW), to go above that rate, will result in an "out of range" message or error!

BR,
Eros