PDA

View Full Version : ASUS Geforce GTX 560 Ti SLI annoying sound

sd_dracula
11-10-2011, 11:26 PM
I'm getting a strange sound from what I believe to be one/both the new GPUs I installed in my system. The sounds wasn't there when I was running the GTX 280.
Do these cards make a strange noise when idle? The sound comes and goes so its not constant. For example while booting I can't hear it.

Changing the fan speed with SmartDoctor doesn't help.

The cards are brand new and I have inspected them fully, nothing looks wrong.

Here is a sound clip I took with my phone: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WU1JJYVB
Not sure if you can hear it properly if you got a loud PC :)

Brian@ASUS
11-11-2011, 05:13 AM
The high pitch noise is coming from your caps. it usually makes this when under full load. its a vibration coming from the caps. if you hear this idle then something seems wrong. if on full load, then its fine.

sd_dracula
11-11-2011, 02:09 PM
The thing is it only does it in windows while using the pc for non gaming stuff like internet, email, etc.
Never does it while in the bios for example.
Its like a really annoying whistling sound.

dominik
12-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Hi Dracula,

I got the same problem - the difference is that I'm not running the 560ti in SLI mode and I own an EVGA card (the one with 2048MB vRAM). Unfortunately, I haven't solved this issue yet and yep, this is a f* annoying sound. EVGA Support just told me to try another GPU in the same system and other way round try to use the 560ti in another system. Haven't done this yet - perhaps it's a good time to do this now.

Maybe we got some matches in our rig specs:
What Power Supply do you use?
What Mainboard?
What CPU?
What RAM?

I'm asking because some people reference this noise coming from faulty PSUs or Mainboards.

For me, the PSU is a Chieftec BPS750C, 750W and the Mainboard is an ASUS P6X58D-E - on top there is a Intel Core i7 960 and 12GB of standard DDR3 1600 RAMs by Corsair...
I'm running Windows 7 x64...

I hope we're lucky and are able to solve the Problem together.

Regards,
Dom

//UPDATE: The worst thing is, that the same noise is coming out of my studio monitor speakers when the PC is running... I guess this might be a problem with the PSU then.

_
12-13-2011, 03:00 AM
Hi dominik. It sounds like it's the PSU causing electrical noise right into your home electronics. Have you tried another?

dominik
12-13-2011, 05:36 AM
Hi MarshallR,

Good point and I guess I really have to do this (don't wanna :eek:). I think that this 500W PSU I got in stock is alrighty for testing, as long as I don't get it to maximum load - and that won't happen in this test case...
It's just so weird, that the noise is appearing only when in desktop mode (when GPU needs less power as the clocks are rated down). While gaming in BF3, other games and during the boot process, everything is fine and quiet as it should be.

Gonna send a reply as soon as I have tested another PSU.
Thanks so far!

Regards,
Dom