PDA

View Full Version : ASUS ROG G751JT USB problem

ElvenNinja
02-03-2015, 06:24 PM
Well, after months of eyeing the the MSI's .... I finally chose to go with the GT751JT.

First problem that showed up is there is no SSD, eventhough the specs that i bought said it had an 8GB SSD, but instead I got two 1TB HD's inside.......not a problem though as I was thinking of doing the same as i need more space over a few secs of loading difference.

Next problem is whenever transferring large amounts of data through the USB's. It simply stops at frequent yet random intervals and gives a sound like a usb device was removed and reattached. So far I have noticed this with atleast two ports...

So just wondering about any one else having the same issue and any work around?

P.S: My build came with Asus Bag, An Asus Headset and a Gaming Mouse + a blue ray R/W. And costed me around AED 7,100 in Dubai or almost $2,000. IS that a fine deal or the prices here are more?

ReDFoX2200
02-03-2015, 07:25 PM
Let me share some of my experience, I have had 3 different USB HDD, (WD My passport Element 1TB, WD My passport Ultra 2TB, WD passport slim 1TB)
the only one I have issues with was the WD passport element, they don't seem to be working correctly using the left side USBs. Since the other HDD works fine and I have never had issues, I'm suspecting it is a HDD drive issue.
All HDDs work on the right side USBs perfectly.

hmscott
02-03-2015, 11:40 PM
Let me share some of my experience, I have had 3 different USB HDD, (WD My passport Element 1TB, WD My passport Ultra 2TB, WD passport slim 1TB)
the only one I have issues with was the WD passport element, they don't seem to be working correctly using the left side USBs. Since the other HDD works fine and I have never had issues, I'm suspecting it is a HDD drive issue.
All HDDs work on the right side USBs perfectly.

ReDFoX2200, this is a known issue with the Intel USB chipset and some external enclosures, like WD, and WD has an application to download to disable power saving on their device:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53877-G751-Problem-with-USB3-0-ports-(left-side)-and-external-HD-anyone-else&p=455699&viewfull=1#post455699

And, for WD and other affected external devices, you can also disable all the internal USB Hub power saving via the Device Manager.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53877-G751-Problem-with-USB3-0-ports-(left-side)-and-external-HD-anyone-else&p=455775&viewfull=1#post455775

That should solve the problem for WD devices, other devices might only need to disable the power saving on the internal Hub configuration.

Bus powered devices won't fair well on the Left side as it doesn't seem to have as much power available as the Right side ports. Plug in the USB external device power supply if you want to use a normally bus powered device on the Left side.

There are some mice that don't like the Left side ports as well. Remember all the ports on the G750/G751 are USB 3.0, so some USB 2.0 devices won't work. Some have used USB 2.0 hubs between the device and the laptop to some success for those devices.

Please come back and let us know what you found works best for you :)

whartanto
03-01-2015, 06:52 PM
Hm, it seems to be quite common problem. Got G751JY-T7128H 2 months ago, my old laptop was USB2 and never had problem with the external HDD.

I have problem with Western Digital HDD, already updated firmware and use the WD Smartware to turn off the sleep mode. Still, whenever transferring large data using the left side USB, the transfer speed goes close to 100MB/s and then disconnect. However, when using right side, the transfer seems to be capped at more sustainable rate of 60MB/s and no disconnect happen.

Which mean practically I have 2 working USB ports - the right side ones :) Which is okay I suppose. I wish I knew it wasn't a faulty HDD before I formatted my 2TB data though :P

doughdreads
03-01-2015, 07:36 PM
I got my JT from iBuypower; I added a 128 GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD with the 1GB 7200rpm HDD, 16GB RAM, added a mouse and headset, and Office 365 and it was only $1766. I still havent received it yet (DIP Pouch takes forever) so idk if there are any problem with it, hopefully there are none.. but you should be able to add an SSD to yours for fairly cheap.

whartanto
03-05-2015, 11:18 PM
Ok, for the "Next problem is whenever transferring large amounts of data through the USB's. It simply stops at frequent yet random intervals and gives a sound like a usb device was removed and reattached. So far I have noticed this with atleast two ports..." which I also have - I found out that for my WD HDD, it only happens when transfer speed is above 70MB/s (the HDD can't handle it).

So a workaround for me is to use USB splitter that is actually have slower speed. It basically cuts the transfer speed to around or below USB 2 speed (around 20 MB/s) - which sucks, but no disconnect happens. The other way is only use right side port, somehow (perhaps it is further from the built in HDD), the speed there is capped at 60Mb/s - 70 mb/s (while the left side can hit 100 mb/s, for a few minutes before the HDD disconnect).