PDA

View Full Version : G750JW wont start up. researched.

Hephaestus
02-04-2015, 08:43 AM
I'm new and this is my first post.

About a week ago my g750jw stopped booting up.

If I leave it for about 12-24hrs and power it on I will get the ROG logo and the whole keyboard lights up for about 10-15 seconds.
The battery light is amber/orange during that time.

After that everything just shuts down.

I already did the unplug battery/ac adapter for 1 minute thing. A few times.
Nothing.

Warranty work is not an option.

And help would be greatly appreciated!
I'd like to Skype my family on the other side of the country try as soon as possible.

Hephaestus
02-05-2015, 08:49 PM
Sooooooooooooo..........

cl-Albert
02-05-2015, 09:47 PM
Hi, not sure about your warranty status, but sounds like it's some kind of hardware problem that you may not be able to solve yourself although you may want to keep checking for suggestions.

Don't suppose you changed anything in the hardware before the problem started?

Below are some basic troubleshooting ideas, but don't know how much they can help with this issue if the system just powers off by itself after 10-15 seconds.

1. Try to fully charge the battery and power up on battery power alone if you haven't already. Be sure to unplug any external devices (USB keyboard, mouse, monitor, SD card, etc.) as well.
2. Make sure to use the original ASUS AC adapter if available, or try to either charge or power up with a different ASUS AC adapter if you can get your hands on another one.
3. If you can do this safely without getting into any trouble with warranty, try to unplug the hard drive (s) and see if you can get into the bios screen at least.
4. Try to remove any extra memory modules and power up with a single memory module in different slots if possible which may not be if you have memory installed under the keyboard, but you can unplug that easily accessible memory at least to check.

Edit 2/6/15: Forgot you have a removable battery and also suggest trying the notebook without the battery as long as you're careful nothing metal gets near the battery contacts.
Assuming the unit is powering off after 10-15 seconds, but if the power stays on, we may want to do more troubleshooting to check if there is just some problem with Windows.

Good luck!

Hephaestus
02-10-2015, 05:20 AM
I've done all that with the exception of removing the hard drive.
Still nothing

Hephaestus
02-11-2015, 12:02 AM
Just an update.
I've followed those steps.
Still haven't removed anything yet. I don't trust myself enough to start pulling things apart.

As of now the laptop no longer powers on or even attempts to.

I like this laptop too much.

However, when I got the laptop a few months ago I asked a friend back home to see if installing windows 7 was possible and now that I think about he did mention something about one or both of the HDDs having corrupt files on it

Could the boot drive be completely shot?

cl-Albert
02-11-2015, 07:54 PM
As of now the laptop no longer powers on or even attempts to.

Not sure if there are 2 separate problem now, but check if you're getting a battery charge light in the notebook or if it doesn't appear the notebook is getting any power at all, start checking the AC adapter if you can and don't forget to check your power outlet too.

However, when I got the laptop a few months ago I asked a friend back home to see if installing windows 7 was possible and now that I think about he did mention something about one or both of the HDDs having corrupt files on it

Could the boot drive be completely shot?

Don't think you can really be sure until you or somebody else tries to power on the unit with the hard drive unplugged, but don't believe it's very common that a bad hard drive would cause this kind of problem (would expect you would still be able to power on the unit at least and get into the bios even if the hard drive wasn't working) although it's easy enough to check before you start worrying about bigger things like the motherboard.

Hephaestus
02-16-2015, 10:45 PM
Just a quick update.
Tested the power supply's output voltage.

2.3 volts as opposed the 19.5 volts it should be putting out.