PDA

View Full Version : Asus G74SX-DH73-3D scrolling / typing lag on IE9

Joseph322
11-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Alright i just purchased an Asus G74SX-DH73-3D on friday 11/4/2011. When i loaded BF3 onto the machine on that friday it asked me to update my graphics card drivers the ones installed were the 268.37 drivers. When i updated them to the newer drivers 285.62 WHQL everything ran fine ( games etc... ) but when I opened IE9 and would scroll down web pages i would get serious scrolling lag and when i would type in any field on ANY web page other than the html bar i would get typing lag. ( i would be atleast 5 words ahead of what was actually being written on the screen ). I reformated the laptop to factory and it fixed the problem, but now I can not play my games because they require a higher driver addition but the higher driver addition causes the IE9 problems. Today Nvidia came out with the Verde 285.79 beta for notebook GPUs as a hot fix, so i installed them and the same problems started again with the scrolling / typing lag in IE9. I again reformated the laptop to factory to revert to the original drivers and fix this issue. ( if you can call it a fix ). I was wondering if ANYONE knows what i should do. Should i get a different broswer? Or is there another fix to this problem?? This is extrememly frustrating as I bought this machine purely to game on and now i CAN NOT.. please please please help me.

Thank you very much

Joseph

dstrakele
11-11-2011, 01:08 AM
Did you try "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering" in IE9 Settngs-Internet Options-Advanced tab? If you choose a different browser, I believe they also have an equivalent setting.

JRd1st
11-11-2011, 01:18 AM
Update the wifi driver (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5224-New-Drivers).

Joseph322
11-11-2011, 03:18 AM
what is the exact driver i should be using for my geforce gtx 560m 3gb ddr5?? Im going to give it another try if i can get a confirmed most current driver.

Thanks

JRd1st
11-11-2011, 03:33 AM
The "official" latest one is 285.62. But "official" doesn't make it any better.

Did you update the Atheros WiFi driver (ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/WLAN/WLAN_Atheros_Win7_64_Z921459.zip)? That driver causes all kinds of lag and latency online and off.

Joseph322
11-11-2011, 08:24 AM
I did update it! And thank you for the suggestion! You've been a great help. So would you say that, thats the driver is hould install. cause atm i have the 268.xx series which is old but what came factory installed when i got it last friday.

Joseph322
11-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Also what would be the benifit of going to the 203 BIOS fromt he 202? I've heard its difficult. But if its needed I'd like to look into that.

JRd1st
11-11-2011, 09:05 AM
BIOS 203 may help your typing lag. Be sure to download BIOS 203 for the G74 and follow my easy directions at the bottom onf that New Drivers post.

There's no reason to not install nvidia 285.62. It's best to uninstall the old driver first, then restart windows.

Joseph322
11-11-2011, 09:16 AM
YAY!!! It works although i dont want to jinx it, I'm just really excited after all week of troble shooting its fixed. I did what both you and dstrakele said to do and i no longer am having any lag issues with typing or scrolling!! It's amazing now i dont feel like i wasted $2,000!

On to the BIOS if i have this issued fixed the BIOS isnt going to solve that since it needs no solving any longer.

What other benifits would there be? I will be sure to follow your instructions perfectly, you've been a great help!

Joseph322
11-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Just as a quick fyi, you guys solved in 2 replys what nvidia programmers have been working with me all week over. Big pat on the back to you!!! :D

JRd1st
11-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Which 2? :D

Joseph322
11-11-2011, 09:41 AM
I updated the wifi driver as you said and i selected the "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering". Problem solved!!! For good i pray!

JRd1st
11-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Oh, cool! :thumbsup:

steveninspiration
11-24-2011, 07:22 AM
Just bought the G74SX DH73 3D on Nov. 18, and updated BIOS 203 using the "winflash" that ASUS provided as the utility. I open IE 9 and encountered the same scroing and typing lagging, it's so anoying. I then installed firefox and it works fine.

I THEN USE IE (64-BIT), and it's fast and the lagging never happened again; however, as soon as I use the IE (with out the 64-bit mark) the lagging thing happen again.

Is it normal, which means I should use the 64 bit IE instead, or is there somethig gone wrong while I update the BIOS using the "on windows" "ASUS winflash program" methode instead of storing the 203 file in a USB and update it in DOS mode?

What can I do now?? Re-update the BIOS?? Sorry I'm not really good at these system update thing... Need help!!!

BrodyBoy
11-24-2011, 07:55 AM
No, it doesn't have anything to do with the BIOS update. (If there had been a problem with that, you would have much bigger issues!)

What you're seeing is just a difference in the performance of different software programs....in this case, browsers.

PS: But in the future, don't ever use WinFlash for BIOS updates.

steveninspiration
11-24-2011, 08:32 AM
But what about the difference between IE 9 (32-bit) and IE 9 (64-bit)? I mean now the lagging only happens when I use the 32 bit IE9, but when I use the 64 bit IE9, there's no problem. And I use the IE on my old laptop (which runs the 32 bit program too) and it never lag like that....

btw, can I re-do the BIOS update using the DOS methode? anyway to check if the BIOS is been updated properly??

steveninspiration
11-24-2011, 08:33 AM
No, it doesn't have anything to do with the BIOS update. (If there had been a problem with that, you would have much bigger issues!)

What you're seeing is just a difference in the performance of different software programs....in this case, browsers.

PS: But in the future, don't ever use WinFlash for BIOS updates.

But what about the difference between IE 9 (32-bit) and IE 9 (64-bit)? I mean now the lagging only happens when I use the 32 bit IE9, but when I use the 64 bit IE9, there's no problem. And I use the IE on my old laptop (which runs the 32 bit program too) and it never lag like that....

btw, can I re-do the BIOS update using the DOS methode? anyway to check if the BIOS is been updated properly??

BrodyBoy
11-24-2011, 09:20 AM

Well, IE9 32-bit and IE9 64 bit are different programs. I really think the IE9 behavior is simply due to software configuration.....perhaps one is employing hardware acceleration and the other isn't. That's just speculation (I don't like IE and I don't use it), but there's no doubt in my mind that this is NOT due to a problem with your BIOS update. A BIOS update either works or it doesn't....it can't be "a little messed up" somehow and manifest that by affecting certain programs differentially.

The update procedure verifies the firmware file, and it confirms success when the computer boots successfully. Uf you really want to, I believe you can reflash the BIOS with the same firmware it's already using. But considering that this is, by definition, a slightly risky procedure on any computer....there's always a small chance of a failed flash bricking the BIOS and therefore the computer.....why take the chance? Why tempt fate? It will not change anything about the behavior of your web browser.

AQUASTEVAE
11-24-2011, 06:53 PM
i'm not trying to be an ass here, but why are you guys using ie anything? that is the worst of all the browsers, and the most hacked. there are so many better choices. one of the first things i do with a new system is get rid of ie. right now, i use firefox 8, and it is lightening quick. i also have google chrome, which is very fast as well. you can use opera and even safari. anything but ie!!! lol. just give them a try, and you will see what i'm saying. at the very least it's something new to play with. but i can guarantee you, you will get much better performance.

steveninspiration
11-25-2011, 06:42 AM
i'm not trying to be an ass here, but why are you guys using ie anything? that is the worst of all the browsers, and the most hacked. there are so many better choices. one of the first things i do with a new system is get rid of ie. right now, i use firefox 8, and it is lightening quick. i also have google chrome, which is very fast as well. you can use opera and even safari. anything but ie!!! lol. just give them a try, and you will see what i'm saying. at the very least it's something new to play with. but i can guarantee you, you will get much better performance.

Agreed, I used firefox on my old ASUS F3SV simply because it's way faster than the IE. The screen was 15.4 inch and the resolutions was not that high as it comes to the G74SX, and then the problem comes: the font and pictures on firefox are so small, with two big blank area on two sides; the IE doesn't have this problem, it auto fill the whole page and the font and pictures are therefore larger. That's how I got stuck to IE in this laptop...

JRd1st
11-25-2011, 08:57 AM
I have used FF for years and couldn't use anything else. But I'm not going to criticize IE users, use what you want.:shrug:

AQUASTEVAE
11-26-2011, 01:25 AM
Agreed, I used firefox on my old ASUS F3SV simply because it's way faster than the IE. The screen was 15.4 inch and the resolutions was not that high as it comes to the G74SX, and then the problem comes: the font and pictures on firefox are so small, with two big blank area on two sides; the IE doesn't have this problem, it auto fill the whole page and the font and pictures are therefore larger. That's how I got stuck to IE in this laptop...

did you know that you can hit the windows and the plus button's, and magnifier automatically comes up, and you can keep hitting plus to make anything as big as you want. while holding the windows key, just hit minus and it's smaller again. it's extremely easy, and it would keep you from having to use ie. i hope this helps.

BrodyBoy
11-26-2011, 01:41 AM
did you know that you can hit the windows and the plus button's, and magnifier automatically comes up, and you can keep hitting plus to make anything as big as you want. while holding the windows key, just hit minus and it's smaller again. it's extremely easy, and it would keep you from having to use ie. i hope this helps.
Or even easier, in Firefox, is using CRTL+ or CTRL- to resize the display. (It has the slight advantage of not actually having to open another program.)

AQUASTEVAE
11-27-2011, 07:49 AM
Or even easier, in Firefox, is using CRTL+ or CTRL- to resize the display. (It has the slight advantage of not actually having to open another program.)

haven't people told you about stealing their thunder...? lol!

neoxes
11-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Finally I found this thread... LOL
Try this:
- Sit down, breathe deep and relax.
- Open a page with some flash animations in IE9.
- Disable 3D (ROG button) or disable hardware accelation.
- If everything now works, is a NVDIA driver problem, so uninstal old version (control panel + driver sweeper) and install new 290.36 beta version (or wait for another stable one).
- Enjoy!

I read on NVIDA forum that 275.xx and previous solve the problem too, seems that 280.xx and 285.xx versions are buggy.