PDA

View Full Version : How to use properly the battery of your g750js laptop. Doubts!!!

david.torres
02-05-2015, 11:08 PM
Hi, i just bought the g750js and i've been thinking on how do i have to use my laptop while gaming for example, with the battery plugged or unplugged. I know if i wanna have the full performance it should be connected but i am not so sure if it should have the battery inserted. Please help me out with this problem.

NitroX
02-06-2015, 01:56 PM
Hi, i just bought the g750js and i've been thinking on how do i have to use my laptop while gaming for example, with the battery plugged or unplugged. I know if i wanna have the full performance it should be connected but i am not so sure if it should have the battery inserted. Please help me out with this problem.

No, you don't need the battery to be connected to the laptop if the laptop is already on AC Power. But DO NOT pull out the battery while the laptop is on AC Power and running because that could damage your battery. The same applies when you want to insert the battery. Inserting/Pulling out the battery should only be done when the laptop is turned off and disconnected from AC power.

Now, for the battery maintenance. If you are using your laptop on battery on a regular basis then you should keep the battery inside the laptop because it will only be a pain in the a** to pull out/insert the battery every time you wanna go mobile. Regular basis means at least 3 times a week.
If you are not using your laptop on battery too often, then you should pull out the battery and keep it in a clean/dry/safe place.

Now, for storing the battery there is also a trick in order to keep it alive as long as you can:

1) When you pull out the battery from your laptop be sure that it is charged between 50-70%, not more, nor less.

2) Storing your battery in a safe place means that it should be protected from any dust, moister, or physical damages. The storing environment should also have a normal room temperature and it should not be in direct sunlight.

3) If you are storing your battery for a long period of time (more than 1 month without using it) then you should do a full recharging cycle once at 2 or 3 weeks in order to keep the battery calibrated. A full recharge means to discharge the battery continously until 15-10% and then charge it continously to 100%. After that, wait until it discharges again to 70-50% and you can pull it out again and store it back.

This is what I have done for my G75VW and after 2 years it only had 13% wear level. Now, considering these new implementations on the battery maybe you could keep the battery in the laptop all the time but keep the laptop on AC whenever you don't need the battery. I don't know if the battery on the G750 works like the one on the G751 but the battery on the G751,since it is integrated and it cannot be pulled off, has a smart charging system which let's it charge to 100% then the power is cut off from the battery until it reaches under 95%. After it reaches 94% then the battery satrts charging again.
If this also applies on your G750 (the thing with the battery not charging anymore after it reaches 100%) then you could keep your battery inside the laptop all the time but you should still perform a full discharge/charge cycle once at 2-3weeks to calibrate the battery.

This is kinda all I know about G series batteries. Until now things went well for my units. If something feels wrong and you heard something different from someone else please tell me and I will research myself.

Clintlgm
02-06-2015, 03:15 PM
Yes, even the G75 only charge once your battery drops down to a certain level. My experienced with Lithium batteries is that the work until they don't. and when they don't they just won't hold any charge. Quite different than old time NiHi battereies

beatc
02-07-2015, 02:19 AM
I suggest you just plug in the battery all the time. Why? First, if you often unplug the battery, you might have a good chances of damaging its connector. Second, asus laptops like g750 are equipped with good battery system. Try hover your mouse to the battery icon on the taskbar. If you charge you laptop for a long time, you'll notice it says 99% available(plugged in but not charging). This is to ensure a longer battery lifetime. Google about it for further info.

GottiBoi55
02-07-2015, 04:54 AM
My preference is to leave the battery in place while running on the AC adapter at all times.
What's the reasoning behind this madness you ask?
If the power goes out you are protected. (when the power goes out, that may damage your NB)
Plus if you are working on a document, and the power goes out you will not lose all your progress.
I think of it like using an UPS on a Desktop PC in case the power goes out.
My G75VW, I been running it that way for over three years now without a problem, and I still have great battery life left on my G75VW.