PDA

View Full Version : G551 Undervolting - Temperature Reduce

XsplaX
02-07-2015, 09:53 AM
Hi guys,

Anyone ever did undervolting to their laptop? My laptop temp is high when ever i play games. So upon googling, I saw this on other forum so I'm some kind of wondering is there any of us ever did that.

http://www.overclock.net/t/424756/laptop-undervolting-thread

They said better do this rather than buy laptop cooler.
If anyone ever did this, kindly share it here.
Thank you.

NitroX
02-07-2015, 03:55 PM
Here you are a short tutorial that I have made for the G751JY, but it also applies to all kind of laptops that allow you to change these settings with Intel XTU https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52467-Got-your-new-G751JY-G751JT-G751JM-Post-your-review-temps-benchmark-results!&p=461645&viewfull=1#post461645

XsplaX
02-09-2015, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the feedback nitrox. may i know is there any down side of it if i did it wrong?

d0r1n
02-09-2015, 10:07 AM
there is no downside if u do it gradualy and test it before,mine is -45mV undervolted

NitroX
02-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback nitrox. may i know is there any down side of it if i did it wrong?

Nope. I've explained it there that the program won't load the settings at next start-up if the system crashes or restarts suddenly. For my own personal experience I have managed to get to maximum undervolt settings (-90mv core and -100mv cache) but I was getting system restarts in Crysis 3 after a while. Then I bumped up the voltage to (-80mv core and -80mv cache) and now it's working just fine. Though, you might have better or worse results depending on the chip you have. Either way, there will be no damage since the maximum allowed undervolt by Intel XTU is in safe limits so you can try making tests until the slider goes to it's minimum value (that is -90mv and -100mv respectively). If you test your undervolt as I explained in that short tutorial and it seems stable, and then you get a random restart in heavy load gaming don't panic and just bump the voltage after the laptop restarts with about +5mv or +10mv to cache and core for the last profile you used (in example: instead of -90mv and -100mv use -80mv and -90mv) .

Don't worry, everything is easy and you'll be a master of undervolting by the end of the day.