PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu on G75VW(660m)

Mr.Whiterain
02-09-2015, 10:25 PM
I am looking for help, please don't bite my head off.

I'm on a G75VW with a GTX 660m (http://www.amazon.com/G75VW-DH71-Notebook-i7-3630QM-DVD-Writer-Bluetooth/dp/B00ADDX53I), has anyone successful ran Ubuntu on it? I seen some other threads mention driver issues for the GTX. I am looking to abandon Microsoft and walk into the light with Linux - with Valve's diligent work Linux is going to going to get the notoriety it deserves.

Anyway I am ready to abandon Microsoft after trying to remain faithful to them, Windows 10 tech preview was a bad experience for me.

I tried for 3 hours this past Saturday to install Ubuntu onto my computer but it's like Microsoft has a wicked vice on this hardware. I finally get the boot order unlocked and set to boot from disc, a windows logo suddenly appears after post then I am told it couldn't it didn't recognize this cd as bootable media. I was uphorridly p*ssed.

Anybody know what to do? The cd was burned correctly as well.

The_Fox
02-11-2015, 07:58 PM
I am with you. Tried for 2 weeks now to run Ubuntu on G20 and have a lot of issues with it. Since its not really possible to run Ubuntu smooth at a lot of new ASUS Motherboards and ASUS PCs I guess microsoft payed for that "bugs" to save their bad OS. Also wrote to ASUS support, but only got "We only support Windows8.1" despite the G20 is advertised as full SteamOS compatible and so schould run other linux distros as well.

Perhaps it will run on your laptop, so try to disable in UEFI fast Boot. You have to disable fast boot in started Windows, too. Anywhere in the Windows Power settings, please google for it. After that try to Boot from UEFI into Ubuntu CD. Klick on Bootoptions and scroll rigth down in UEFI/BIOS. Then Click on (UEFI)"your CD Drive" to boot from CD. You could also try to set into "advanced settings" the graphics card as prime.

Best regards,

Mr.Whiterain
02-13-2015, 05:37 AM
Thank you, Fox, I have done all of these things. After post it reads the CD and a Windows logo pops up, shortly after going to DOS promt. This DOS prompt tells me the CD is not bootable media and I have to reboot or insert bootable media.

I'm guessing it's Windows recovery trying to recognize windows media. I may find the gumption to take out the 2nd hard drive dedicated to recovery and holding my copy of Windows 8 but for now, Microsoft has broke me.

whatdoesthisbuttondo
02-13-2015, 12:32 PM
Thank you, Fox, I have done all of these things. After post it reads the CD and a Windows logo pops up, shortly after going to DOS promt. This DOS prompt tells me the CD is not bootable media and I have to reboot or insert bootable media.

If the windows logo does come up, apparently the boot from CD did fail already, otherwise you should see the grub bootloader on your CD instead.

Did you use official Ubuntu media? The easiest way on modern hardware is typically to use UEFI-compliant boot media, like the recent official Ubuntu releases from here:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/14.04.1/ubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso

You should either be able to boot directly to that media from bios (select UEFI(fat):your-cd-drive or something, the (fat) is important), or set the boot order so that it tries to boot UEFI from your CD before the harddisks.

If you can avoid it, do not boot in legacy mode anymore, it is best to go UEFI.