PDA

View Full Version : G74SX There a horizontal line on screen

ikakosha
02-10-2015, 02:46 AM
There a horizontal line on screen
Question is it monitor cable or monitor problem? or how can I detect it. in my country, there is no service and I will do it myself. Please see attached picture of problem
Waiting for your opinion

Thanks in advance

billyray520
02-10-2015, 01:46 PM
Check to see if it is there on the VGA output port. That will tell you if it is the GPU or the screen. (My money is on the screen (or connectors) having the problem.)

ikakosha
02-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Check to see if it is there on the VGA output port. That will tell you if it is the GPU or the screen. (My money is on the screen (or connectors) having the problem.)

VGA is OK! I forgot to mention it. Line appears through all the way bios in every mode

is there any testing soft to find where is the problem?

C4RN1
02-10-2015, 07:42 PM
It's either the video cable that goes from the motherboard to the back of the screen or the screen itself. If you can flex the screen a little bit and make it go away then it's a defective screen. If you open and close the laptop and the line goes away and comes back then it's probably the video cable.

The easiest way to diagnose this issue is to disassemble the screen (take it out of the plastic bezel and hinges) and flex the video cable a little. Be careful, take out your battery and run the computer only on ac. This way if you flex the cable and it is a bad connection and causes a short you have control over it. I've flexed bad cables before and started a fire, like I said it's best to have control over it.

Good luck, let us know what you find.