PDA

View Full Version : No more overclock? (Asus please don't let us be fooled by Nvidia)

BigDRim
02-11-2015, 10:13 PM
EDIT: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/805791/geforce-drivers/gtx-900m-overclocking-with-347-09-347-25/post/4466443/#4466443

Hi,

Bad news here:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/805791/geforce-drivers/gtx-900m-overclocking-with-347-09-347-25/post/4458903/#4458903

I quote: "Unfortunately GeForce notebooks were not designed to support overclocking. Overclocking is by no means a trivial feature, and depends on thoughtful design of thermal, electrical, and other considerations. By overclocking a notebook, a user risks serious damage to the system that could result in non-functional systems, reduced notebook life, or many other effects.

There was a bug introduced into our drivers which enabled some systems to overclock. This was fixed in a recent update. Our intent was not to remove features from GeForce notebooks, but rather to safeguard systems from operating outside design limits."

This sounds more like a lie or a joke than politician-like double talk...

toronto699
02-12-2015, 03:45 AM
http://tech4gamers.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980m-also-memory-problem/

BigDRim
02-12-2015, 11:43 AM
And what is the link with overclock?

gamingjebus
02-12-2015, 02:59 PM
I was planning to buy the G751JT but with this news should I hold off on the purchase? Please advise.

BigDRim
02-12-2015, 06:17 PM
Not buying is the only way to make them react.
But if you want this otherwise really good laptop, that's your choice.

rogdood
02-12-2015, 06:44 PM
The JT features the 970m GPU, which does not appear to have any issues. More-over, our laptops come with a hefty 230W PSU, so no throttling will occur :) (I'm saying this with the CPU already OCed)

After nearly 3 months of gaming on my JT, I can say that I absolutely love the performance. And even though *it might be true* that we will not be able to overclock our systems, AMD is nowhere near Nvidia in terms of mobile GPU performance, so I'd think about that also.

And as a matter of perspective, there will always be people out there willing and able to do more to help the community, so I'm also confident that OC'ing will be once again available, if it is indeed removed... for now.

Speaking of the matter, there is a petition up: https://www.change.org/p/nvidia-re-enable-overclocking-on-geforce-equipped-notebooks?recruiter=20925400

I have signed it since I enjoy the FREEDOM of using my purchased item as I please. Any changes they impose AFTER the purchase are simply unacceptable for me.

kingkaann
02-12-2015, 08:20 PM
bad move by nvidia. if i cant overclock i will never buy a laptop again. probably switch to a desktop.

almosttactful
02-12-2015, 09:43 PM
I was planning to buy the G751JT but with this news should I hold off on the purchase? Please advise.

I wouldn't boycott an extremely badass laptop because of this. You can always run drivers 344 to be able to OC and I'm guessing after as much rage they get, it'll come back online down the road some time soon.

bad move by nvidia. if i cant overclock i will never buy a laptop again. probably switch to a desktop.

Not for nothing, but what will that fix? You'll still prolly get an nVidia card and they'll still get paid lol

HulkSmash
02-13-2015, 05:48 AM
Meh, there was something like this back on the 600 series. After like 4 or 5 driver updates passed they unlocked overcloking again...

Also, if they don't, there will almost always people on the internet finding ways around it...

HulkSmash
02-13-2015, 05:53 AM
Also, on this link: http://tech4gamers.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980m-also-memory-problem/

Talking about the memory leak, I would suggest reading the comments. And also point out this source:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/geforce-gtx-970-correcting-the-specs-exploring-memory-allocation/2

th3l34sh
02-14-2015, 01:29 AM
I think ASUS should give us a response regarding this move by NVidia. Overclocking is heavily advertized in the G751 series.

Just look at the product page of G751JY http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G751JY/, overclocking is like the first thing mentioned at the very top.

Isn't selling your product not as advertised illegal? Because "Turbomaster overclocking" is advertized in the product page and that feature is not available now.

NitroX
02-14-2015, 02:10 PM
Also, on this link: http://tech4gamers.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980m-also-memory-problem/

Talking about the memory leak, I would suggest reading the comments. And also point out this source:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/geforce-gtx-970-correcting-the-specs-exploring-memory-allocation/2

Read the first 3 comments from the first link. The Gtx980m doesn't have any problems with the memory speed. I have made more than 10 tests that are not conclusive and this subject has been disputed in another topic also. The only card that seems to have a problem with the Memory is the GTX970 for desktop.

Though, the OC part is very annoying. I have signed the petition and I hope that all guys reading this post will also make use of 5 minutes of their time to sign it. NVidia is going too far now that they have a lot of headroom compared to AMD. They kinda abuse the fact that the notebooks are using mostly NVidia chips and they are going to get burned by their own stupidity if they won't stop with this bllsht.

_
02-17-2015, 07:28 AM
GPU tweak will continue to work on G751JM.
G751JY/JT/JL, has a pre-overclocked VBIOS so there's no need for extra SW to modify.
For those wanting to use software, unfortunately we don't make the drivers and as a partner we have to follow their rules.

raim_
02-17-2015, 07:36 AM
@MarshallR@ASUS: I have a G751JT, what does pre-clocked vbios mean? You mean that the 970m is factory overlocked?

BigDRim
02-17-2015, 10:37 AM
G751JY/JT/JL, has a pre-overclocked VBIOS so there's no need for extra SW to modify.
For those wanting to use software, unfortunately we don't make the drivers and as a partner we have to follow their rules.

I didn't know anything about this overclocked VBIOS too. Can you explain what it does/how it works? Because our GPU clocks seem to be stock, not overclocked?

Thanks

sohaltang40
02-17-2015, 05:43 PM

GPU tweak is all greyed out. Turning it on or off changes the GPU speed 0mhz, verified by GPU-z. I purchased this laptop as overclocking the GPU was a key selling point. Thought I would be able to push closer to 980M performance. No my $1800 laptop has been Nvidia Ninja Nerfed. This is not what i paid for. Nvidia/ASUS should offer compensation to those that bought this expecting to get the ADVERTIZED overclocking capability.

***Experience Power from Within

Experience unbeatable mobile gaming performance on the new ASUS Republic of Gamers (ROG) G751 gaming laptop, now featuring a 4th-gen Intel Core i7 processor and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M graphics. With ASUS TurboMaster technology, the G751 offers stable GPU overclocking along with an optimized dual-fan cooling system that keeps everything cool even in the heat of battle. Booting Steam and recording your gameplay has never been easier thanks to the new quick-access keys on the G751. ****

BigDRim
02-18-2015, 10:19 AM

I don't want to appear insistent, still your VBIOS-thing is very intriguing. I'd be glad to have some explanations.
Thanks

HulkSmash
02-18-2015, 05:32 PM
I don't want to appear insistent, still your VBIOS-thing is very intriguing. I'd be glad to have some explanations.
Thanks

If I'm not mistaken the boost clocks for the 970m is 993 MHz. If you notice on your JT, the actual clocks that it goes to is like 1037 MHZ. It's just the parameters that are changed. If you try to overclock even with this altered vBIOS, the nvidia drivers will still hold you back from changing clocks using software. Keep in mind this is my assumption entirely...

I decided to stick with the "bugged" driver that allows you to overclock and also am using a custom vBIOS. I haven't really had the time to test it, so I know it will go even higher; but right now I'm using 1000mv on voltage, 180+ on core and 275+ on mem, and temps never go over 71C.

I was very disapointed at NVIDIA for their decision, and hope they reverse it. I bought an ROG laptop with overclocking in mind (like it is advertised, and due to its superior cooling compared to other brands). I would've bought a cheaper, slimmer laptop with a not as good cooling system if I knew about this decision...

If they stick to this decision, NVIDIA has lost a customer for sure.

BigDRim
02-18-2015, 06:16 PM
If I'm not mistaken the boost clocks for the 970m is 993 MHz. If you notice on your JT, the actual clocks that it goes to is like 1037 MHZ. It's just the parameters that are changed. If you try to overclock even with this altered vBIOS, the nvidia drivers will still hold you back from changing clocks using software. Keep in mind this is my assumption entirely...

You are probably right, thanks. Quite disappointed :)

BigDRim
02-19-2015, 05:16 PM
Overclock is back!!!!!!
(next month)
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/805791/geforce-drivers/gtx-900m-overclocking-with-347-09-347-25/post/4466443/#4466443
Only have to hope they keep their word now.

hmscott
02-19-2015, 06:33 PM
Overclock is back!!!!!!
(next month)
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/805791/geforce-drivers/gtx-900m-overclocking-with-347-09-347-25/post/4466443/#4466443
Only have to hope they keep their word now.

Just in case the post disappears...

"As you know, we are constantly tuning and optimizing the performance of your GeForce PC.

We obsess over every possible optimization so that you can enjoy a perfectly stable machine that balances game, thermal, power, and acoustic performance.

Still, many of you enjoy pushing the system even further with overclocking.

Our recent driver update disabled overclocking on some GTX notebooks. We heard from many of you that you would like this feature enabled again. So, we will again be enabling overclocking in our upcoming driver release next month for those affected notebooks.

If you are eager to regain this capability right away, you can also revert back to 344.75."

by PeterS@NVIDIA
NVIDIA Customer Care

NitroX
02-19-2015, 07:24 PM
Just in case the post disappears...

"As you know, we are constantly tuning and optimizing the performance of your GeForce PC.

We obsess over every possible optimization so that you can enjoy a perfectly stable machine that balances game, thermal, power, and acoustic performance.

Still, many of you enjoy pushing the system even further with overclocking.

Our recent driver update disabled overclocking on some GTX notebooks. We heard from many of you that you would like this feature enabled again. So, we will again be enabling overclocking in our upcoming driver release next month for those affected notebooks.

If you are eager to regain this capability right away, you can also revert back to 344.75."

by PeterS@NVIDIA
NVIDIA Customer Care

I hate it when they act like they are doing everything for us. I'm always imagining one smartass that all his life was a total loser and then he acts like a bussiness man considering that all other people are stupid and inferior to them. God damn, I hate this marteking fake faces, especially from big names which dissappointed me in the last year.

Of well, had to take that out of my chest. You guys can also use the G-Sync Modded drivers which are 347.25 and have OC unlocked. You can always disable the G-Sync if you want to run them as normal drivers.

BigDRim
02-26-2015, 01:56 PM
I have seen some GPU-z screenshots from other 970m notebooks (msi, alienware) and they have a boost at 1038mhz too, so that's not linked with this vbios thing :/

Myk SilentShadow
02-26-2015, 03:19 PM
I think ASUS should give us a response regarding this move by NVidia. Overclocking is heavily advertized in the G751 series.

Just look at the product page of G751JY http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G751JY/, overclocking is like the first thing mentioned at the very top.

Isn't selling your product not as advertised illegal? Because "Turbomaster overclocking" is advertized in the product page and that feature is not available now.

None of that is false advertising, like MarshallR stated, it's on Nvidia whom ASUS are partnered with and none of this falls back on ASUS in the slightest. If ASUS made the drivers, then yes it would be on them, but, they don't, so it's back on Nvidia. And now, Nvidia have about faced and are re-enabling OCing their Mobile VGA's.