PDA

View Full Version : Merging the 2 SSD partitions

cromac
02-13-2015, 07:43 PM
Hi,

I have a G751JY, would merging the 2 factory SSD partitions cause any problem in regards to the recovery partition?

Svift
02-18-2015, 11:00 AM
That makes integrated recovery not work. You get a message "insert windows 8 compatible disk" or Important files are missing...

Make a USB backup using backtracker. Then merge parititons. Also some utilities make partition signature "different" so you may have to disable secure boot in bios in order to get the system to boot up

USB recovery will separate both the SSD and HDD, if you use it to restore the system and it will work regardless of how are the partitions set.

Hope it helps.

pokerface
02-18-2015, 12:43 PM
I thought that the left bay is SATA 3 and the right bay is SATA 2, that's how it is on my G751JY, so wouldn't merging them hurt the performance??

Clintlgm
02-18-2015, 02:18 PM
OK, It would be correct to create a recovery Image on a separate USB Stick or Drive. Backtracker Image is good to keep should you want in the future to restore to factory condition. However Macrium Reflect (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx)will create an image that will restore you to exactly where you are when you create the images. I would still made the backtracker Image incase you want to sell the notebook later on!
Your Saying you want to merge two partition on a single SSD, I would use something like Minitool partition Magic (http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html)and delete the. Well not sure how you are set up. But Asus seem to want to make a C and D partition on the Slot 0 SSD. If that is true all you have to do is delete the D partition then expand the C partition into the un used space where you deleted the D partition. The C and D partition have to be next to each other no other partitions between them. Do not delete any other partitions

pokerface
02-18-2015, 02:36 PM
ahh sorry nevermind I thought you want to combine both disks. I did that easily through Windows Disk Management, just delete the 2nd partition so you would have unallocated space after C:, then right click on C: and choose extend. Done

cromac
02-19-2015, 03:41 AM
Thanks for the answers, appreciate the help and tips.