PDA

View Full Version : help with SSD samsung 840 pro 250gb and ROG750jw

chassy809
02-14-2015, 05:48 AM
It's been a year since I bought this beauty, ASUS ROG750jw. Already finished the warranty time so it's time to change some things. I'll start with changing HDD to SSD. I've never used an SSD before, so I would like to know a few things before you start with this:
Taking into account that I have a backup made with ASUS Backtracker ...
1. I need to change something in the BIOS for my SSD can be detected and what would those changes?
2. The backup of my system (which was made by the Backtracker) can save it to an external HDD? this would cause problems or corruption of data in the future? This is to see if I can format the HDD of the laptop and to use the space that was determined for the backup of the factory.

grandosegood
02-14-2015, 03:10 PM
you should update to the latest bios prior to installing the ssd.

you should be able to use your backtracker-created usb to restore onto the newly installed ssd.

GottiBoi55
02-14-2015, 06:47 PM
It's been a year since I bought this beauty, ASUS ROG750jw. Already finished the warranty time so it's time to change some things. I'll start with changing HDD to SSD. I've never used an SSD before, so I would like to know a few things before you start with this:
Taking into account that I have a backup made with ASUS Backtracker ...
1. I need to change something in the BIOS for my SSD can be detected and what would those changes?
2. The backup of my system (which was made by the Backtracker) can save it to an external HDD? this would cause problems or corruption of data in the future? This is to see if I can format the HDD of the laptop and to use the space that was determined for the backup of the factory.

Hi chassy809,
You picked a great SSD in the Samsung 840 pro, you might want to look into the newer 850 pro with 3D nand, and ram cashing technology (See link below)

Samsung 850 Pro review: 3D NAND and RAM caching (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.extremetech.com%2Fcomputing%2 F189003-samsung-850-pro-review-3d-nand-and-ram-caching-result-in-the-fastest-most-durable-ssd-money-can-buy&ei=DJbfVMjWA8aZsQTArIHICA&usg=AFQjCNH02xCjYWDlG8I0s3UgUHtVuYCnCA&bvm=bv.85970519,d.eXY)

You can use your Asus Backtracker USB to transfer to the new SSD with no problem.
1. First remove the factory HDD with the factory installed OS. (leave the OS in place for now, just in case any problems occur)
2. Install the SSD in the bay where the factory HDD was installed. (Do not format the SSD, the Asus Backtracker USB will do that for you)
3. Power on and enter BIOS and change SATA settings from IDE to AHCI, then save changes and power off.
4. Insert the Asus Backtracker USB.
5. Power on, and start spamming the "esc" key at the same time.
6. Select USB UEFI with the Asus Backtracker USB.
7. Hit enter, then follow the prompts from the Asus Backtracker software.

The progress should take about 30 minutes, and you should be good to go from there.
Now if everything went well with the Asus Backtracker USB transfer, and you have a working OS on the new SSD, then you can reformat the factory HDD to use for storage. (the reason why not to reformat the factory HDD before hand)

Good luck my friend, and enjoy!

(http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.extremetech.com%2Fcomputing%2 F189003-samsung-850-pro-review-3d-nand-and-ram-caching-result-in-the-fastest-most-durable-ssd-money-can-buy&ei=qI7fVJXWIIzLsASa5YGIBg&usg=AFQjCNH02xCjYWDlG8I0s3UgUHtVuYCnCA&bvm=bv.85970519,d.eXY)

chassy809
02-14-2015, 08:23 PM
Hi chassy809,
You picked a great SSD in the Samsung 840 pro, you might want to look into the newer 850 pro with 3D nand, and ram cashing technology (See link below)

Samsung 850 Pro review: 3D NAND and RAM caching (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.extremetech.com%2Fcomputing%2 F189003-samsung-850-pro-review-3d-nand-and-ram-caching-result-in-the-fastest-most-durable-ssd-money-can-buy&ei=DJbfVMjWA8aZsQTArIHICA&usg=AFQjCNH02xCjYWDlG8I0s3UgUHtVuYCnCA&bvm=bv.85970519,d.eXY)

You can use your Asus Backtracker USB to transfer to the new SSD with no problem.
1. First remove the factory HDD with the factory installed OS. (leave the OS in place for now, just in case any problems occur)
2. Install the SSD in the bay where the factory HDD was installed. (Do not format the SSD, the Asus Backtracker USB will do that for you)
3. Power on and enter BIOS and change SATA settings from IDE to AHCI, then save changes and power off.
4. Insert the Asus Backtracker USB.
5. Power on, and start spamming the "esc" key at the same time.
6. Select USB UEFI with the Asus Backtracker USB.
7. Hit enter, then follow the prompts from the Asus Backtracker software.

The progress should take about 30 minutes, and you should be good to go from there.
Now if everything went well with the Asus Backtracker USB transfer, and you have a working OS on the new SSD, then you can reformat the factory HDD to use for storage. (the reason why not to reformat the factory HDD before hand)

Good luck my friend, and enjoy!

(http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.extremetech.com%2Fcomputing%2 F189003-samsung-850-pro-review-3d-nand-and-ram-caching-result-in-the-fastest-most-durable-ssd-money-can-buy&ei=qI7fVJXWIIzLsASa5YGIBg&usg=AFQjCNH02xCjYWDlG8I0s3UgUHtVuYCnCA&bvm=bv.85970519,d.eXY)

here is the problem... the SSD is not recognized by any of my sistems.... not in the BIOS or the disk management in windows. a think this is a broken unit.... a question: its possible that backtracker can damage my pendrive? because after do the backtracker thing my 64gb 3.0 Pendrive has 40gb of phantom data, but when i chek theres nothing in the pen drive and i still have 20gb to do so but says that theres something wrong with the pendrive. the process can damage the SSD for example? need to say that it was a used unit so a think it was formated before...
thanks for your response

GottiBoi55
02-15-2015, 04:06 AM
here is the problem... the SSD is not recognized by any of my sistems.... not in the BIOS or the disk management in windows. a think this is a broken unit.... a question: its possible that backtracker can damage my pendrive? because after do the backtracker thing my 64gb 3.0 Pendrive has 40gb of phantom data, but when i chek theres nothing in the pen drive and i still have 20gb to do so but says that theres something wrong with the pendrive. the process can damage the SSD for example? need to say that it was a used unit so a think it was formated before...
thanks for your response

You may need to reinstall the SSD, then restart your system a couple of times. (Drive may not be seated properly to the SATA connection)
Then start windows, and open device manager and right click and select "scan for hardware changes"
Try this and see if your SSD will be detected.

PS: Make sure you have latest BIOS version also.

chassy809
02-15-2015, 07:32 AM
You may need to reinstall the SSD, then restart your system a couple of times. (Drive may not be seated properly to the SATA connection)
Then start windows, and open device manager and right click and select "scan for hardware changes"
Try this and see if your SSD will be detected.

PS: Make sure you have latest BIOS version also.

since I bought the laptop, this is the first time I enter the BIOS, I mean just to install the SSD. i dont know what version of the BIOS is installed
sorry man but in this type of things i am a noob and I'm scared of brick my laptop... please can you tell me how to do it or at least direct me to the proper thread... thanks for the response... sorry for ask about it, im just a noob when it comes to BIOS settings

I gave the SSD to a friend who its an engineer and knos about this types of things to verify if the SSD its working properly... he will tell me in a couple of hours

GottiBoi55
02-15-2015, 09:33 PM
since I bought the laptop, this is the first time I enter the BIOS, I mean just to install the SSD. i dont know what version of the BIOS is installed
sorry man but in this type of things i am a noob and I'm scared of brick my laptop... please can you tell me how to do it or at least direct me to the proper thread... thanks for the response... sorry for ask about it, im just a noob when it comes to BIOS settings

I gave the SSD to a friend who its an engineer and knos about this types of things to verify if the SSD its working properly... he will tell me in a couple of hours

I recommend, if your friend in know about these things, seek assistance from your friend.
I would not want you to brick your MB, so ask for some help my friend.
Here is a thread that may help in the SSD install progress.
(It's topic is on the same model you have)

Thread: G750JW - Installing a new SSD and want to use it as Primary OS drive (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52024-G750JW-Installing-a-new-SSD-and-want-to-use-it-as-Primary-OS-drive)

chassy809
02-16-2015, 10:35 PM
I recommend, if your friend in know about these things, seek assistance from your friend.
I would not want you to brick your MB, so ask for some help my friend.
Here is a thread that may help in the SSD install progress.
(It's topic is on the same model you have)

Thread: G750JW - Installing a new SSD and want to use it as Primary OS drive (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52024-G750JW-Installing-a-new-SSD-and-want-to-use-it-as-Primary-OS-drive)

I want to thank you for your help in the process, I could replace the disk without problems. The disc was damaged so I had to buy a new one and the process was very easy and smooth.
Now this beauty is very fast ..... could solve all porblemas and have the HDD as a disk to store my data, the SSD is for the system and some games ..... thanks for your time and help

GottiBoi55
02-17-2015, 02:21 AM
I want to thank you for your help in the process, I could replace the disk without problems. The disc was damaged so I had to buy a new one and the process was very easy and smooth.
Now this beauty is very fast ..... could solve all porblemas and have the HDD as a disk to store my data, the SSD is for the system and some games ..... thanks for your time and help

You welcome my friend, I'm glad you worked it out!