PDA

View Full Version : New G751JY BIOS v206 is out. Any improvements?

xdr
02-15-2015, 09:09 AM
The new BIOS for G751JY is out. You can get it here :http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G751JY/HelpDesk_Download/
Anyone noticed any improvements? What does "Add second PCIE SSD DID/VID." mean?

Jlieu
02-15-2015, 11:26 AM
where is it for G751JT?? asus...

Sargatanas
02-15-2015, 11:48 AM
flashed it - didnt noticed any improvements

d0r1n
02-15-2015, 01:47 PM
now 4710 it goes tot x35 or is still x34?

JasenDoe
02-15-2015, 07:00 PM
now 4710 it goes tot x35 or is still x34?

Multipliers on the 4860 didn't change still 36x, so the multipliers on 4710 didn't change also from 205 to 206.
Fan speeds seem to be same, sticking with the profile because high temps :P

Oh also it reseted my undervolt in xtu, had to apply again. Or I have no idea how to use this profiles because I can't see anywhere that it is active... Such crap GUI

RMXM
02-15-2015, 08:04 PM
Is there some guide on how to install the BIOS update?

BigDRim
02-15-2015, 10:09 PM
Is there some guide on how to install the BIOS update?
Just download, extract, then open Winflash (should be already installed), open the BIOS file from it and follow the instructions.
Warning though, it seems you have a G751JT, so use only G751JT bios, from here:
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G751JT/HelpDesk_Download/

ELZZZORRO
02-15-2015, 11:24 PM
The only improvements I can see, is the increase on speed from the PCIe M2 Drive. Boots faster, I am getting an average of 1,200 MB/s transfer rates.

Xehanort
02-16-2015, 10:49 AM
I still have the BIOS that came with the laptop (204).

I never updated BIOS in my life. I've been meaning to update it on my G751JY, but many keep saying not to do it unless it's strickly necessary because it's very dangerous :(

NitroX
02-16-2015, 10:54 AM
It's not dangerous at all because WInflash will do all the work for you. You just need to keep your laptop plugged in and have the battery charge past 50%.

pokerface
02-16-2015, 11:14 AM
I still have the BIOS that came with the laptop (204).

I never updated BIOS in my life. I've been meaning to update it on my G751JY, but many keep saying not to do it unless it's strickly necessary because it's very dangerous :(

dangerous?? LOL I switch between BIOSes like I change my pants on every laptop I've ever owned, done it over 200 times and it always works in a snap unless you disconnect the power and have no battery, the risk is literally 0

Xehanort
02-16-2015, 02:35 PM
Well, I was going with what i've heard. That a BIOS update gone wrong, for some possible reason, could brick the computer and render it completely useless...

I'm gonna try it when I get home :)

psygorn
02-16-2015, 03:49 PM
how come i check on my drivers page for g751jt theirs no new bios it still ver 205 what model does the 206 support? can it handle g751jt?

Boaz Beatz
02-16-2015, 03:54 PM
Always flash drom bioa and not windows alot safer

psygorn
02-16-2015, 04:16 PM
is their for a g751jt? theirs no update on the driver page

d0r1n
02-16-2015, 05:18 PM
dangerous?? LOL I switch between BIOSes like I change my pants on every laptop I've ever owned, done it over 200 times and it always works in a snap unless you disconnect the power and have no battery, the risk is literally 0

don't lie,i had a g751jy sent back for bios update gone wrong and became a brick
there are consequences when u write bios,u dont have 100% security that your laptop will power on after writing.

i did write bios on acer,asus,dell(about 50 times on 10 model laptops) but 2 times i got a brick laptop.
its a lottery ;)

nice.lw
02-16-2015, 07:10 PM
It's not dangerous at all because WInflash will do all the work for you. You just need to keep your laptop plugged in and have the battery charge past 50%.

Last edited by nice.lw; 12-03-2014
I already update my new G751 Bios 202 to 205 and comp is death. I need a fly to Poland with my laptop because all courier refused me to send out (from Ireland) laptop with battery installed on...
I was contact with ASUS support, all advice finish without success and comp is fxxxx

Updates was done with connected power and internet cable, progress of updates stock on 94% and after 15 min comp switch OFF and never "stand-up"
Power button with led on hand rest is lighting, screen and keyboard is black.
ctrl + home does not work , USB 2,0 and 3,0 flashing with ctrl + home does not work also ...

Regards
Lukasz

Last edited by nice.lw; 12-10-2014
New UpDates about my situation...
After contact with Asus Poland and Asus Ireland ...
I checked all the tricks and advice without success, remained the only Polish flight to where the laptop was purchased (Media Markt) Thanks for Arkadiusz&Ania
I was professionally accepted and the computer has been replaced. Return to the hotel in Poland to update the BIOS 205 with full success.

This trip costs 300 € but I have a new ASUS G751JY-32 i7-4860HQ/32GB/512+1TB

Regards Lukasz

Xehanort
02-16-2015, 07:41 PM
:eek:

Alright, that's it - no BIOS update for me. Thanks anyway, ASUS xD

pokerface
02-16-2015, 07:48 PM
:eek:

Alright, that's it - no BIOS update for me. Thanks anyway, ASUS xD

You don't know what you're missing

NitroX
02-16-2015, 08:30 PM
You don't know what you're missing

He is not missing much since this new bios doesn't really change anything from the more serious problems encountered, like : fan profiles, usb disconnecting, CPU multiplier

Nole3000
02-16-2015, 09:24 PM
Can anyone from Asus support explain here ( in english, if possible) what does "second PCIe M.2" new 206 bios support means? Seem like my laptop have only one M.2 slot...
Also: Power button can not bring notebook to OFF state when I press it long, since battery on this notebook is integrated, it would be usefull if you fix this problem with next BIOS version. Thanks in advance! Also, WiDi function is not working, connectivity is not possible with any combination of drivers, seem to me that problem is with integrated graphics driver (i7 4860 vPro -Iris Pro 5200) not recognised?

Clintlgm
02-17-2015, 05:21 AM
Yea I've been updating my BIOS's for years too. in fact I upate this one from 207 to 210, I stopped there due to all the bricked notebooks G75, G55.
There is some issue when one Bricks there notebook setting the BIOS to defaults, we had many in the G75, 55 46 forum. I know a lot of them were people that didn't know better and use the Win flash. That statement alone is a concern.

Svift
02-18-2015, 10:28 AM
I have a problem. Winflash will recognize my current bios 205 and it says 206 is ok to flash. After clicking flast it says clict exit to reboot and proceed with update... Well nothing happens. PC wont reboot on it self. Update doesnt start even after manual reboot.

Any advice?

BigDRim
02-18-2015, 10:34 AM
If your PC is still perfectly working, it happened to me once, just restart the flash process.

-BIOS for G751JT is there!-

Svift
02-18-2015, 10:51 AM
Yes everthing works... Just winflash doesnt.

I read 206 improves M.2 SSD performace, otherwise my G751Jy is top notch.

I tried to turn in on and off againg.
Many reboots I have tried to update winflash from support.asus
I have password protected bios, HDD and windows also I use Trucrypt.. So I disabled - removed passwords from everything.. Still no go for update.

Makes me sad.

d0r1n
02-18-2015, 10:58 AM
try installing from the bios,is a option there to flash from the drive

Svift
02-18-2015, 11:03 AM
try installing from the bios,is a option there to flash from the drive

There is? Havent found it. I also read its not safe to flash bios file stored on NTFS from bios or any DOS utitliy. So I would place it on USB key.

But Iam not aware that you can update it from bios directly.

d0r1n
02-18-2015, 11:07 AM
there is and is more safe...

Svift
02-18-2015, 12:31 PM
there is and is more safe...

Yep, found it. Flashed it. No problems at all.

d0r1n
02-18-2015, 01:23 PM
thats the spirit ;)...i dont see any improvements,but....

NitroX
02-18-2015, 06:33 PM
Not any improvements for mre either but now I have an issue with the laptop after it goes into sleep. It happened twice in 2 days.

So, I'm putting the laptop to sleep by using the powerbutton and then, in the morning, when I open the lid, the power led (light bulb) flashes one time and then the laptop get's bricked. If I press the powerbutton the power led keeps blinking for 1 se and then shuts off. The keyboard or display aren't even powering on.

The solution is to press the power button for 10 secs and reset the laptop.

This is very annoying and from what I recall I did see this problem in another post also.

PS: I'm only using the 1tb HGST and no SSD. Maybe they optimized the SSDs but they got a bug for the HDD only systems.

pokerface
02-18-2015, 08:01 PM
Not any improvements for mre either but now I have an issue with the laptop after it goes into sleep. It happened twice in 2 days.

So, I'm putting the laptop to sleep by using the powerbutton and then, in the morning, when I open the lid, the power led (light bulb) flashes one time and then the laptop get's bricked. If I press the powerbutton the power led keeps blinking for 1 se and then shuts off. The keyboard or display aren't even powering on.

This is very annoying and from what I recall I did see this problem in another post also.

PS: I'm only using the 1tb HGST and no SSD. Maybe they optimized the SSDs but they got a bug for the HDD only systems.

Well I have a Samsung 80 PRO 1TB which I replaced with the HItachi 1TB 7200 RPM that came with the laptop so the main drive is a Samsung XP941 256GB SSD and the 2nd is the Samsung SSD and I also have these random blackouts when I restart where I have to force shut it down :(

pokerface
02-18-2015, 09:29 PM
Just rolleded back to BIOS 205 this BIOS 206 is way too unstable, I keep getting black screens / no boot randomly until I have to force shutdown a few times till the laptop starts. Back to 205 using the winflash.exe / nodate switch to force the downgrade

Svift
02-19-2015, 02:28 PM
I have not encountered any problems witch 206 so far... I use my G751JY every day allday... Iam locking and sleeping my G751 ten times a day.

I didnt found any improvements either. No faster booting or ssd read/write speeds. Cooling is still the same.

I have 512GB m.2 samsung and 2TB samsung HDD.

JasenDoe
02-19-2015, 03:18 PM
I have not encountered any problems witch 206 so far... I use my G751JY every day allday... Iam locking and sleeping my G751 ten times a day.

I didnt found any improvements either. No faster booting or ssd read/write speeds. Cooling is still the same.

I have 512GB m.2 samsung and 2TB samsung HDD.

Same, no problems, g751jy 4860HQ, 256 ssd samsung, 206 with winflash, no problems. Laptop on for most of the day, and I have been using it for few days now, 2nd day they came out, I downloaded and installed with winflash

d0r1n
02-20-2015, 08:25 AM
same here,i have no problems but there is no obvious changes that i can see.

NitroX
02-20-2015, 10:22 AM

It seems that I solved the problem by changing some things in the Power Plan Settings. Hopefully I will never see it again.

hmscott
02-20-2015, 02:00 PM
It seems that I solved the problem by changing some things in the Power Plan Settings. Hopefully I will never see it again.

NitroX, what were the problematic settings, and what are the working ones?

NitroX
02-20-2015, 09:29 PM
I am not sure if those settings were the cause of my issue but it seems that I haven't bumped into it since I changed them. The changes I made were:

1) Disable USB Selective suspend
2) Set "Do nothing" when closing the display lid.

I have read some things about the USB selective suspend and while I'm on AC I don't really care about the power consumption (this if I really understood what does USB selective suspend mean).
And the thing with the display lid is more than better now, because it makes it more easier for me when I'm just watching a movie before going to sleep. I can close the lid, the movie plays on the TV and then I just shutdown the laptop using UnifiedRemote on my smartphone.

AQUASTEVAE
06-03-2015, 02:07 AM
well, i finally took the plung, and updated from 202 to 206. besides not being able to overclock my cpu up to x37 with etu, i really don't see any differences. i would like to ask those in the know, why our system has such a boring plain bios. if you look at the asus bios's on youtube, they are very graphically pleasing to look at, and easy to use, where ours looks like something from the 80's; very dos like.

Edweird
06-03-2015, 10:22 AM
well, i finally took the plung, and updated from 202 to 206. besides not being able to overclock my cpu up to x37 with etu, i really don't see any differences. i would like to ask those in the know, why our system has such a boring plain bios. if you look at the asus bios's on youtube, they are very graphically pleasing to look at, and easy to use, where ours looks like something from the 80's; very dos like.

They're laptop BIOS. The hardware isn't made to support the EFI features you see on ASUS gaming-grade desktops for example. Simply a measure of necessity I guess - most of the interesting functions in the UIs that you see on fancy motherboards are related to overclocking etc. and ASUS obviously doesn't want us touching at everything. The G751JY has the exact same BIOS my 4yo N61Ja does.

If you get HWINFO and inspect all the system viewer hardware/software info related to the motherboard and BIOS you'll understand what I mean.